Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 08:27 PM

366 posts, read 110,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
So the CDC has been muted and kicked to the curb until now. The CDC apparently has numbers no one else has yet has not reported them out, or done a conference / national call in months. Also Sweden's numbers are the best model we have and Swedens's percentages are significantly higher.

Methinks I will wait and see while continuing precautions.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, R 2.5 is the same as the Spanish Flu, and the CDC is still predicting 0.4% fatality rate, 4 times higher than the flu even with their estimate which does not line up with the John Hopkins information that is compiled from state daily reports.
Keep clutching at straws. You've been had
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 08:29 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
No, it’s based on statistics in New York City. You are just blinded by partisan bs and can’t see those statistics alone tell you the death rate is greater than .1%. I guess I should counter with a Fox comment but I won’t stoop to that level.

A .1% death rate would mean a mere 264000 deaths with 80% of population infected. I wish.

Once again, since you didn't pick up on it the first time when I told you... I did not say the virus had a .1% mortality rate. Reading comprehension fail, twice.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:43 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Once again, since you didn't pick up on it the first time when I told you... I did not say the virus had a .1% mortality rate. Reading comprehension fail, twice.
You stated I didn’t know the rate after mentioning the.1%. I don’t but I know it’s at least double that.

I confess I don’t give your crap posts a thorough read.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:56 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
I basically agree with your last paragraph but the deaths in NYC alone tell you this is pretty deadly as flu viruses go.
It is not a flu virus. The two are as different as flu and measles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
I just had it. Really sick for one day, flooded my throat with near toxic levels of zinc lozenges for 36 hours. Next day it was gone. CDC wont test me.
Theyll never know the fatality rate.
CDC does not tell individual patients they can or cannot be tested. Ask your doctor to order an antibody test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
We actually have no idea what the morality rate really is. There have been states under reporting it - then there are states that have been over reporting it and have marked every death as a Covid death even though the patient was never tested for Covid.
No states are counting every death as a COVID-19 death. Without testing the death should only be counted as presumed COVID-19 if the clinical course was compatible with the disease in the opinion of the person who fills out the death certificate. The CDC guidelines are quite clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Am I though? Do you understand the concept of an analogy? Apparently not. It's not meant to be taken literally. The point is that this pandemic would be more deadly given a lack of medical facilities and treatments. Likewise, the 1918 pandemic would be much less deadly now, given the advancements in medical techniques.
Some in 1918 undoubtedly had secondary infections. Others died within hours of getting sick, probably from cytokine storm.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:05 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Difference from Hong Kong Flu in 2 words...ASYMPTOMATIC TRANSMISSION...

Old 05-22-2020, 09:09 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
Not sure why the low death rate matters to you so much. It's the hospitalization rate we're trying to keep under control. That has never changed. If it killed zero people, nothing would change. Death rate has been estimated under 0.5 for quite a while now. Not reported because not relevant. 300 million people 300k empty hospital beds. Do the math. It's not about death now.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Difference from Hong Kong Flu in 2 words...ASYMPTOMATIC TRANSMISSION...
Dr. Fisherman, PhD in Medical History - You saying there were no people back then that were carriers, and showing no symptoms at all.
Were they contagious the second they were infected, or only days later when symptoms appeared?
Only the care givers got it?

Old 05-23-2020, 01:48 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Quote:
The 1968 flu is not comparable. There were less deaths in the USA than COVID will end up causing despite, as you confess, much more intervention this time around.

Basically when looking at population the per capita deaths may end up close to the same only because of lockdowns and social distancing.
There were 100k deaths from flu in 1968/69 with a population of 200 million. So 130 million less people.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:50 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
There were 100k deaths from flu in 1968/69 with a population of 200 million. So 130 million less people.
Once again we weren’t having lockdowns or social distancing.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:25 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
It was across an entire flu season - and was actually THE flu season, not in addition to it. People knew what the flu was, what it felt like, how to avoid and it and how to treat it. They also had some immunity, and they knew it had "a season."

And a few other things - but that oughtta do.

This is nothing like that. Nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies