Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 10:50 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Nope, I think it's more relevant to compare to an event that most people alive today lived through. That's what analogies are about, trying to make things relatable. In this case, two major life events. Would you consider Spanish flu a relatable life event for yourself? 9/11 and Covid are both "remember when" moments that we will all still remember years from now.
where were you on April 21st? or May 1st if you prefer the WHO #
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 10:50 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
no, every day heart disease is about one 9/11. (about 650K annual)
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lea...s-of-death.htm
I used global numbers because it seems he was using global COVID-19 numbers.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

Personally i know that COVID is a deadly disease. BUT it is also being over played. The media are doing harm. We cant get to a normal because people are so freaked out because of certain politicians and the media over playing this.

We don't have the kind of data we need to understand what is going on and where. That is a result of a CDC that is just crap and has been crap for decades. It is a function of States with terrible record keeping and evidently hiring idiots to do their data. AND people in charge who are more interested in telling us what they want us to hear rather than the actual facts.
:clap

somebody tell me what the media at-large is doing that sticks to the facts, and presents them in a "calm" manner vs how such a high % of people have gotten a "we're all gonna die!" from whatever non-data sources they are using.

Right now, the death rate in nursing homes is < 20% of those inflicted. In NC nursing homes (where OP and I live, and our NH situation is really bad) and even in NY Nursing Homes.

As an analogy - you go to the nursing home and 10 of them are infected. 8 or 9 will survive.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:14 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Why do people react differently to a rat snake than they do to a rattlesnake? They are both objectively just snakes.
You are still either deflecting or ot understanding.

The reactiin would be to the bite. One is deadly, one is. Ot.

So why are people wanting to ignore 3k deaths per day, but will never forget 3k deaths on one day?

I will never forget either.
I will do what I think is the best balance to prevent recurrence of both.
I have no less sympathy for an innocent victim of either.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:18 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
The answer is obvious > you cant "other" a virus to rile people up into a tribal mentality for political gain.

Trumpism is entirely reactionary, without someone to rail against and crap on they are lost.

It is always based on pointing at *something* telling people its *comin to getcha* and that you can *protect them from it/hurt the thing in question*.

99% of the time its BS, but when there really is a thing that really IS *comin to getcha!* but it is a virus and not *those guys over there*, and thus cant be exploited for political gain > what to do?

Oh yea, blame China. Lmao at least we can still find some humans to blame - whew, close one. Those evul Chinese are *comin to getcha* with their virus they made on purpose and released in their own country just to *get* Trump!

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 05-22-2020 at 11:27 AM..

Old 05-22-2020, 11:21 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
So why are people wanting to ignore 3k deaths per day, but will never forget 3k deaths on one day?

I'll answer this question. Not everybody has the luxury of being able to work from home during this crisis. Losing 3K in one day is dreadful. However, for those help hostage by this pandemic need to get back to work even if it's on a limited capacity. People are hurting and literally starving. The longer this goes on, the worse it becomes.

At the end of the day, this will become a calculated risk. Will more people die? Yes. Will numbers spike? Yes. But the consequences of not working are far worse...…

One can look at Big Government for only so long as a solution. Life may never get back to normal, but we at least need to get the GNP moving in the right direction or the ramifications will be a lot worse than losing 3K per day.

Last edited by pete98146; 05-22-2020 at 11:33 AM..

Old 05-22-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:

who is ignoring 2900 deaths on 1 day in the life of the virus?

there's that "worldview" again.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:50 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:

What do you remember more, your mother dying in her sleep at 95 or your daughter being raped and murdered?

Both are just a death of a family member, that means they are the exact same right?

I've explained to you that a terrorist attack is a threat to everyone, COVID-19 is a threat to a tiny percent of people. You can't expect people to react to different threat levels as if they are the same. Like I said, you react to a rat snake different than you'd react to a rattlesnake because one is relatively harmless, the other is much more serious of a threat.

Also, it doesn't help that your numbers are BS, if you are talking about the US, it's not 3k a day, never has been.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:23 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
A) no one is 'ignoring' anything, but thousands of people die every day before cv19 and will continue to after cv19
B) how does 'forgetting' relate to 'setting restrictive policy', there is a bit of a difference. I doubt if anyone will 'forget' this particular viral event (just as previous events have not been 'forgotten'), however, complaints about the validity of the measures taken has nothing to do with 'forgetting' the folks who've actually died.
C) bottom line is that you're comparison is deeply flawed from a logical level. Even the one person who can possibly perceived as supporting your thesis, @t206, has divorced themselves from rhetoric such as 'never forgetting' and 'ignoring' and has reduced their argument down to the more trivial notion of "3k and 3k, the coincidence is worthy of note".

Old 05-22-2020, 12:45 PM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:

three thousand deaths (maybe) on one day not per day. Thats why.
Most people are not going to relate to 3k people nationwide dying on the same day, most elderly with underlying health conditions. The average number of deaths per day in the us is around 7K. Three thousand deaths basically at once in one place yes people will take notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies