Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 09:35 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Nope, you are flat out wrong.

Raw #s to show an end result that people can relate to because they probably lived through it.

I have zero interest in comparing politics, reasons, causes, drivers, emotions, or opinions.

3000 dead bodies look, feel, smell, and weigh the same as 3000 other dead bodies. The fact that we have 2 data points where 3,000 of them showed up on "one day" helps create the comparison.

So why not compare it to another virus with similar numbers?

Why the need to compare it to 9/11?

What's the point?

As others have pointed out.....the numbers aren't even comparable.

And just because YOU can robotically separate the emotional response behind the numbers does not mean everyone else can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 09:38 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
What else are you comparing?

What's the purpose behind your analogy?

Trying to equivocate 3000 virus deaths to 3000 9/11 deaths and leaving out the emotional factors between the two is an an emotional reaction in itself....

Because you're expecting others not to see the difference that you apparently are incapable of seeing.
I've articulated it clearly multiple times for you.

Its math, its an analogy to help relate to another known event. No politics, no emotions.

I'm not comparing terrorism to illness or trying to say they are somehow the same.

All of these things have been said multiple times in this thread by me, all of which you are reading and replying to.

Stop pretending I said things I didn't say, and stop pretending like you don't get what I'm saying. You are smarter than that, and I should be smarter than to waste time on your trolling and pretending to be this stupid.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
So why not compare it to another virus with similar numbers?

Why the need to compare it to 9/11?

What's the point?

As others have pointed out.....the numbers aren't even comparable.

And just because YOU can robotically separate the emotional response behind the numbers does not mean everyone else can.
Dude, compare it to whatever the heck you want.

Give me anything else that caused 3,000 deaths in a day or as a result of one event and I'll compare it to that. I literally don't care what the event is/was. How do you not understand that.

Analogies are not 1:1 mirror images, they are loosely constructed comparisons. In this case, most of us lived through 9/11.

Most of us probably remember the Challenger space shuttle tragedy. COVID = 428.5714285714286 ‬ of those. Is that better? 9/11, Challenger...both easily remembered events by most Americans.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:43 AM

8,956 posts, read 2,553,414 times
Quote:
Dude, compare it to whatever the heck you want.

Give me anything else that caused 3,000 deaths in a day or as a result of one event and I'll compare it to that. I literally don't care what the event is/was. How do you not understand that.
Sure, so we should look at it as roughly 1/16th the number of heart disease deaths per day. You know, to put it in proper context.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Its math, its an analogy to help relate to another known event. No politics, no emotions.

I'm not comparing terrorism to illness or trying to say they are somehow the same.

All of these things have been said multiple times in this thread by me, all of which you are reading and replying to.

Stop pretending I said things I didn't say, and stop pretending like you don't get what I'm saying. You are smarter than that, and I should be smarter than to waste time on your trolling and pretending to be this stupid.

Again......

Why the need to compare the numbers to the numbers from a terrorist attack?

If you want to leave the emotional response out of it then you have to remove the emotional response by comparing it to something else.....like another virus.

Don't expect other to remove it just because you say they should.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:49 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
3,000 people died on 9/11, CORONA is killing 3,000 people a day, its a VERY simple comparison to see.
The only comparison I see is that in both cases the government did nothing before or after.

The government made no attempt to stop 9-11; someone --one of the Conspirators-- used their political influence to shut down active FBI investigations, like the investigation into the "20th Hijacker" and an investigation that would have actually uncovered one of the flight teams; violated federal laws by failing or refusing to reconstruct Flights 77 and 91 and hastily destroyed all the evidence related thereto; and failed or refused to conduct a criminal investigation, using a congressional committee to white-wash everything, then failed or refused to take any action against the foreign State that provided all of the hijackers, namely, Saudi Arabia.

Here, government failed or refused to close the border or quarantine the 9.5 Million monthly arrivals into the US, allowing the virus to spread freely; failed or refused to use emergency powers to coordinate medical resources and protect patients by reducing hospital over-crowding; failed or refused to offer guidance to States; and has failed or refused to come up with any meaningful plan in the event there's a 2nd wave or the possibility that this will be an annual thing.

It's business as usual.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:50 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
You can be on either side of the CORONA shutdown, but the 9/11 comparison is pretty obvious, lets not pretend its out of left field just because of your political views.

3,000 people died on 9/11, CORONA is killing 3,000 people a day, its a VERY simple comparison to see. Its trying to put the # of human lives lost in perspective.
We've not had 3K deaths in 1 day yet. April 21, 2683 deaths, was the 1 day peak. April 18 was peak week when we averaged 2,100/day. We've been under 2K every day since May 7.

So, after you and OP say that, at what point are we to start the discussion?

Old 05-22-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Again......

Why the need to compare the numbers to the numbers from a terrorist attack?

If you want to leave the emotional response out of it then you have to remove the emotional response by comparing it to something else.....like another virus.

Don't expect other to remove it just because you say they should.
Nope, I think it's more relevant to compare to an event that most people alive today lived through. That's what analogies are about, trying to make things relatable. In this case, two major life events. Would you consider Spanish flu a relatable life event for yourself? 9/11 and Covid are both "remember when" moments that we will all still remember years from now.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Because 3000 virus deaths are not the same as 3000 terrorist deaths and they never will be.

The virus deaths are all tragic to be sure, but the fact is a non thinking, non feeling disease that kills mostly older people with underlying conditions is not the same thing as a terrorist flying an airplane into a building.

You're attempting to say a death is a death no matter the cause.

We're saying.....No, it's not.

Not even close.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:55 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Yes, it really is.

It pushes a false narrative, death from acts of war or terrorism are completely different from deaths from disease or natural disaster. There's simply no comparing them.

If you want to put things in perspective, compare it to the 150,000 Americans who die every year from lung cancer, to the 140,000 more who die from COPD, to the 647,000 who die every year from heart disease.

Those are especially relevant considering a lot of the people who will die from COVID-19 would have died from one of those things this year anyway.
I bet before this post, someone said "oh no, you can't compare it to those diseases, because those who died didn't infect anyone else/cause them to die".

Guess what - 9/11 didn't cause anybody in Montana to die either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies