Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 09:56 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
We've not had 3K deaths in 1 day yet. April 21, 2683 deaths, was the 1 day peak. April 18 was peak week when we averaged 2,100/day. We've been under 2K every day since May 7.

So, after you and OP say that, at what point are we to start the discussion?
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/02/who-...ronavirus.html

Quote:
The U.S. saw 2,909 people die of Covid-19 in 24 hours, according to the data, which was collected as of 4 a.m. ET on Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Because 3000 virus deaths are not the same as 3000 terrorist deaths and they never will be.

The virus deaths are all tragic to be sure, but the fact is a non thinking, non feeling disease that kills mostly older people with underlying conditions is not the same thing as a terrorist flying an airplane into a building.

You're attempting to say a death is a death no matter the cause.

We're saying.....No, it's not.

Not even close.
Aaaaaand you are back to being a troll making up things I never said. Literally said the opposite of that.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:58 AM

18,456 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Nope, I think it's more relevant to compare to an event that most people alive today lived through. That's what analogies are about, trying to make things relatable. In this case, two major life events. Would you consider Spanish flu a relatable life event for yourself? 9/11 and Covid are both "remember when" moments that we will all still remember years from now.

The events of 9/11 and Covid-19 are not in any way comparable.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:59 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Sure, so we should look at it as roughly 1/16th the number of heart disease deaths per day. You know, to put it in proper context.
Well, wouldn't putting it in the proper context also require you to catch heart disease from a cough or sneeze?

Jeeez louise; over 90,000 Americans have died in just a little over two months time and some are still arguing whether this thing is serious or not?

Old 05-22-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Aaaaaand you are back to being a troll making up things I never said. Literally said the opposite of that.

So what's the point of your analogy then?

You're saying that we should leave the emotional factors out of it and just look at the numbers.....

Why?

Leaving the emotional factors out implies that there is no difference between the two.

And BTW you need to look up the definition of troll while you're at it.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So what's the point of your analogy then?

You're saying that we should leave the emotional factors out of it and just look at the numbers.....

Why?

Leaving the emotional factors out implies that there is no difference between the two.
It was so I'd have to repeat myself 100 times and tell you 100 times to stop making up nonsense I didn't actually say. Mission accomplished.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:07 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I've heard a lot of people say that media is overblowing this, using big numbers, but that really, if you look at the entire US Population, this is not as big a deal as the media makes it out to be.

We are currently seeing about 3000 people per day dying from COVID, or COVID related reasons. That is about the same number as the entire 9/11 toll.

Me, I think both are horrible.

My questions to those who think COVID is being over-blown by the media:
-Do you think that 9/11 was overblown?
-Do you think that our reaction was?
-Do you think that we should accept more terrorism, in the name of freedom?
-OR do you think it's a good idea to monitor the POTENTIAL threat, and proactively deal with it?

If you think our 9/11 response was/is mostly appropriate, what is the basis for your difference with COVID?

And do you challenge the statement that more people (about 30x more) died from COVID than 9/11. If you challenge 30x, what number is it for you? 20x? 10x? and how to you come to that number.

Mostly, what is the basis for your difference, if you have a difference on the answer to those questions.

Just curious, and my answer is that for the most part, both reactions were legit. In both cases, there was some over-reaction but on the whole, I am not overly critical about either response. With hindsight, I guess both/either could be improved, but I was/am not Monday Quarterbacking either.

I'm trying to be kind here. in all seriousness, this comparison is a logical fallacy. There is no comparison between an illness and a terrorist attack. its insanity.

I mean if we are going to make crazy comparisons, are you this insane over heart disease? cancer? both of those are VASTLY more deadly and kill vastly more people.

Personally i know that COVID is a deadly disease. BUT it is also being over played. The media are doing harm. We cant get to a normal because people are so freaked out because of certain politicians and the media over playing this.

We don't have the kind of data we need to understand what is going on and where. That is a result of a CDC that is just crap and has been crap for decades. It is a function of States with terrible record keeping and evidently hiring idiots to do their data. AND people in charge who are more interested in telling us what they want us to hear rather than the actual facts.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:09 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Did we intentionally destroy the economy and shred the Bill of Rights after 9/11?

Yes, it seems like we did.In response to a single day loss of 3,000 lives we consciously abdicated many of our rights to privacy and created an entire new layer of bureaucracy in the guise of "Homeland Security". We then proceeded to sacrifice the lives of thousands of soldiers and civilians at tremendous cost for twenty years in un-winnable wars.

In comparison, fighting a winnable battle with a virus that could potentially kill far more than 3000 Americans per day if left unchecked seems a far better choice in my book.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
It was so I'd have to repeat myself 100 times and tell you 100 times to stop making up nonsense I didn't actually say. Mission accomplished.

See if you can wrap your brain around this without bursting a vein:

Leaving me and anything I've said in response to you out of it........

What is the point of your analogy?

Why do you want people to compare the numbers of two completely different events?

Old 05-22-2020, 10:16 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
You got it!

(To all the others who are deflecting):
And nobody is comparing a natural disaster to a terrorist attack, I am asking your opinion on the RESPONSE.

Does the terrorist attack evoke emotions in you, and that is why you can't compare the response? I keep on hearing that "the response of COVID is not justified due to the relatively low number of deaths".
That's how it sounds. Now don't get all defensive, just tell me your thoughts. If you stand by them, there is no reason to get defensive, just help me understand your logic. (Maybe I'll see things differently if you respond)
It's interesting in our "lens of worldview" that is what you are reading/hearing.

There are a select few that say "no worse than the flu" - and I don't know why you wouldn't ask them when you see them type/hear them say "What makes you say that?"

There were far more saying this very early on, at the outset based on actual deaths. What we KNOW about COVID *at this time:

-longer incubation period than flu
-more contagious than the flu
-more deadly than the flu*
-it affects the aged and infirmed much worse than any other group

*but as we progress, with asymptomatic recoveries and antibody tests, it's possible it will be much less than 10x more deadly overall than the flu.

What I hear people say is - we shut the entire country down when we knew what were the actual at-risk groups..

So my "lens of wordlview" revolves around - why aren't we laser-focused on the at-risk groups, instead of hitting the entire population with the same cudgel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies