Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2020, 12:18 PM

256 posts, read 87,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Heartless? Typical liberal drivel. Most people that died are in nursing homes and already dying of old age and other ailments. This has been the same as the Flu. Get a grip on reality and stop think purely with emotion and IGNORING the people suffering for economic hardship. Ignoring people losing their jobs and businesses and lifelong work is heartless.
Those people were someone's grandparent, someone's parent, someone's friend, someone's favorite aunt or uncle, someone's sister or brother. A HUMAN BEING! They were not expendable!

Old 05-23-2020, 12:23 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
No one caught it.... He declared the USA essential. We The People, are the USA.
We consent, or we do not consent to governments wishes..... They can ask and I can respectfully decline and say NO.
You are not PROPERTY of the State, in America.
They have all the authority to promote the general welfare(educate) but they have NO authority to force compliance.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Obviously churches are more essential than liquor stores but how are churches more essential than other things? I can't get the process going to get an occupational coach because certain offices are closed but we're pushing to make churches essential? Give ME a break.

I think the liquor stores are open because they tend to have less people at a time. I've also been told that liquor stores are essential because it makes the delinquents less likely to riot. I don't know. I don't drink but I guess that sorta makes sense.

Probably. The church I used to go to is. The only thing you miss from doing online services is no more luncheons (I forget what it's called now it's been so long) but I don't go anymore so maybe it's not as good as it used to be anyway.
I don’t drink or attend church.

What was considered essential vs not, trended a tad goofy.

Perhaps the difference is that while one is in a house of worship, one is in closer proximity to others for an extended period of time than one might be in say, Binny’s.

Most services include some element of singing or other verbalization that results in droplets, visible or otherwise. Amen.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:28 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Perhaps the difference is that while one is in a house of worship, one is in closer proximity to others for an extended period of time than one might be in say, Binny’s.

Yeah you're very close in the seats. I don't go to church now either being agnostic but I went growing up and I attended a funeral service recently.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
When the dust settles this will be revealed as the BIGGEST Hoax and Scam since Man Made climate change. It is already coming out that it is much less deadly than previous "pandemics". Yet the doom and gloom bliss ninnies (and anyone with "Mom" in their screen name) ignore the truth.
It is less deadly because the Federal Government issued Controls in the form of social distancing/ gathering guidelines. The masses changed their behaviors.

No major country took a “ let er rip” approach.

Take a close look at the videos of mass graves in Brazil

Old 05-23-2020, 12:30 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The courts are ultimately going to rule that the first amendment applies and that the places of worship have to be allowed to open.
The 1st amendment only restricts the Congress from making laws against exercise of religion.

Quote:
But this allows the President to fire up his base and to further force the Democrats to define themselves as being not only pro-lockdown but also anti-Christian or anti-religious.
That kind of political bull-crap pretty much defines Trump. He loves to pit people against each other in order to divide the nation which he thinks is easier to control.

But is it about Democrats? The most shut-down State is Ohio, which has Republican Governor. Here is Florida churches are closed, and we too have Republican governor, but of course Trump has no problem lying about it (and neither do his loyalists). He is their "prophet and savior" after all.

Quote:
It puts the Democrat governors in a tight spot.
So, he is not going to overrule the Republican governors who are keeping churches closed? How partisan can you people get?

Old 05-23-2020, 12:32 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
He's in no position to demand anything. Not even governors can demand that a house of worship open if its congregants perceive a risk to their health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Which has what to do with spreading a virus???
Need vs. want. Quite an elementary concept, actually.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:34 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
President Trump declares houses of worship are "essential"

Naturally the main issue is and will be - what is Trump's authority to override the Governors ?

Trump announces that houses of worship are ‘essential,’ demands governors open them up
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...o-open-them-up

"The governors need to do the right thing and allow these very important essential places of faith to open right now--for this weekend," Trump said. "If they don't do it, I will override the governors."
Actually, the main issue is the statement that churches are essential. No, they're not.

As for his threat to override, well - that's just not a power he possesses.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Yeah you're very close in the seats. I don't go to church now either being agnostic but I went growing up and I attended a funeral service recently.
I went to a Catholic grammar school. We were required to attend mass 7 days a week and all funeral masses. December- February was known as the death season, when we would be stuck in church all day with a short break for lunch.

People were packed like sardines.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Actually, the main issue is the statement that churches are essential. No, they're not.

As for his threat to override, well - that's just not a power he possesses.
Essential businesses are subject to taxation, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies