Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2020, 06:25 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,141 times

Advertisements

To this point, I thought Trump did an okay job handling the cv19 response, but I disagree with him on this point. Churches and any large gathering need to be slow to come back. Most churches are streaming their services online, so what is the hurry? This is definitely pandering to the ultra conservative base.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:29 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
For many people the gathering is part of religion.
Then this isn’t the religion of the Bible. For much of the early church days people met in very small groups in houses. You could do that now with a group of less than 10. Not saying we need to do that today, but that is what was necessary when the church was being persecuted by the Roman government. Just like everything else, the church needs to adapt.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:36 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Then this isn’t the religion of the Bible. For much of the early church days people met in very small groups in houses. You could do that now with a group of less than 10. Not saying we need to do that today, but that is what was necessary when the church was being persecuted by the Roman government. Just like everything else, the church needs to adapt.
Of COURSE it's the religion of the Bible! It says in Numbers that we need a minyan - 10. (Unless by "the Bible" you are discounting the Hebrew Bible and considering only the NT, which of course is what you are doing.)

The poster you replied to is correct. For Jews at least, gathering IS part of the religion. It is necessary to conduct prayer.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:36 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Thank you, and I just posted above, that is why Jews (I can't speak for other religions) require a minyan for services. There was no need for that other poster to quote a NT verse calling Jews "hypocrites" for gathering in community for prayer.
Why can't that be done virtually? People have to be creative and flexible these days.

I'm not religious but I can't imagine worshipping a god who would want me to put my health and others at risk to gather in his name.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Why can't that be done virtually? People have to be creative and flexible these days.

I'm not religious but I can't imagine worshipping a god who would want me to put my health and others at risk to gather in his name.
Oh yea right....our G-d wants us to put our health at risk. I can tell you're not religious by that subtle smear.

And some have gone the virtual route, but the more traditional synagogues (I can only speak for Jews) do not use the computer on Shabbat. Thus, they can have minyan every weekday, which my sibling's synagogue is doing, but cannot on Friday evening/Saturday. It is very important to say Kaddish for the departed, requiring a minyan, and mourners cannot do that. (You probably think that's silly, but it gives peace to the bereaved to honor their departed this way.)

Would you not agree they should be able to set up a tent, place 15 or 20 chairs spread far apart, and have Saturday services on the property outside the synagogue?

P.S. My only objection to Trump's talk of the churches opening is that he didn't emphasize the need for social distancing.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:45 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,013,754 times
I just find it interesting that its ok to be at Walmart or other stores and have to bump into people and not be at risk. Yet, if you are at a church parking lot sitting in a car with the windows up you are some how at more risk.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I just find it interesting that its ok to be at Walmart or other stores and have to bump into people and not be at risk. Yet, if you are at a church parking lot sitting in a car with the windows up you are some how at more risk.
Yeah, the fact that they ticketed people at that church parking lot really revealed their anti-religion bias.

The problem is that is "trendy" to be anti-religion on the left side, and that is why they feel it is so unimportant to attend religious services and gain the support of one's community during these difficult times.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:56 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Oh yea right....our G-d wants us to put our health at risk. I can tell you're not religious by that subtle smear.

And some have gone the virtual route, but the more traditional synagogues (I can only speak for Jews) do not use the computer on Shabbat. Thus, they can have minyan every weekday, which my sibling's synagogue is doing, but cannot on Friday evening/Saturday. It is very important to say Kaddish for the departed, requiring a minyan, and mourners cannot do that. (You probably think that's silly, but it gives peace to the bereaved to honor their departed this way.)

Would you not agree they should be able to set up a tent, place 15 or 20 chairs spread far apart, and have Saturday services on the property outside the synagogue?

P.S. My only objection to Trump's talk of the churches opening is that he didn't emphasize the need for social distancing.
Not a smear at all. And plenty of Christian churches make the same arguments. As for the Kaddish, it's not just Jews who want to send their dead off with a prayer or even a non-religious farewell. I know people who've died during this pandemic and services had to be moved online with only a few members of the immediate family allowed to see the dead. It's tragic, but certainly not exclusive to Jews. I'm sure you've seen footage of the funerals in Brooklyn where some orthodox Jews ignored the executive orders and took to the streets by the hundreds. If you believe in a loving God, I'd have to think he or she would want people to be safe and healthy.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:57 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Its good to at least have some normalcy to life with things like golf that are low risk, places of worship are not. Many of the initial hot spots can be traced to synagogues.
It would be clearer to say those choosing to worship as they regularly do were the hot spots, I've seen plenty of church congregations that were spreading more than the good word..

Old 05-24-2020, 07:08 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,366,655 times
"If they don't do it, I will override the governors."

'I don't take responsibility at all'

Which is it?

Whether we agree with government action or not, above all we have to at least TRUST government is acting our OUR best interest.

This administration has lost any semblance of trust. Not just on a single issue or some politicized 'scandal' but on a daily basis of lies, miscommunication, ineptness, and blatant abuse of power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies