Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 05:56 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Good.

One of the biggest mistakes our government allowed to happen. Generally I'm a free markets guy but that has to get revisited and modified somewhat.

Btw, F the Chinese government.
So you aren’t really a “free markets guy”. If I can get something made cheaper in China why shouldn’t I do that to maximize return to my shareholders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 06:17 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
So you aren’t really a “free markets guy”. If I can get something made cheaper in China why shouldn’t I do that to maximize return to my shareholders?

The free market takes a back seat to the security of critical infrastructure. Chinese electronics made by Huawei and Chinese operators are so embedded in the Philippines electric grid they can simply turn the power off.

Any advanced nation is targeting the infrastructure of other countries. Water, power grids, so on and so forth. Communications is just as important if not the most important one because those other systems can break down without it or be broken into with it. Why in the world would you invite them through the front door?

Old 05-23-2020, 07:09 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The free market takes a back seat to the security of critical infrastructure. Chinese electronics made by Huawei and Chinese operators are so embedded in the Philippines electric grid they can simply turn the power off.

Any advanced nation is targeting the infrastructure of other countries. Water, power grids, so on and so forth. Communications is just as important if not the most important one because those other systems can break down without it or be broken into with it. Why in the world would you invite them through the front door?
My point is about free markets.

They aren’t patriotic, the don’t have empathy, they just don’t care.
Free markets have no morals....ever.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:12 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
No it's not, as already sted in numerous media outlets including Guardian the UK is to reduce chinese involvement in it's telecoms 5G network to zero by 2023...
And that's not at all what the headline says.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:21 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Critical items such as meds and other things along those lines should be made here, even if it's a bit more costly. For national securities sake.

Bottom line costs shouldn't always take precedence over security.

Last edited by Chowhound; 05-23-2020 at 07:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies