Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 02:23 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
COVID-19 threatens them more than the government. Their guns are useless to them when they can no longer breathe.
It has nothing to do with breathing. People aren't by guns to protect themselves from the virus.

They're buying them in case there's a total breakdown of law and order due to the virus. Which is entirely possible if the country remains shutdown for the unforeseeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Do you really not understand, or are you just trying to make gun buyers look paranoid and stupid?

What preparations did you make and for what possibilities, once you realized this virus was going global?

Did you think about it at all? Did you just assume that life would go on as normal? That food would always be available at the stores, and that you'd always have enough money to buy it? And all the other people in your town - they'll all have plenty of resources to ensure their kids are fed, no matter what?

People don't buy guns in emergencies because of a virus, or a lockdown. They buy them because of the uncertainties associated with the emergency. Same reason you buy fire extinguishers. If you support having one of those on hand but poo-poo the idea of the other, you've been conditioned to think that way. The logic is the same.

Two things -

1. The spike is due largely to FIRST TIME buyers. Pay attention.

2. Gun enthusiasts aren't buying during an emergency. Gun enthusiasts bought before the emergency.
Well said!

Old 05-24-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Wrong. Don't tell me that every time a Democrat gets elected that you cannot find ammo from your local gun store because it is all sold out from first time buyers. Same goes for many handguns and long guns. Those are not disappearing because of first time buyers, regardless of what is happening now due to CV-19.

You don't need my help.
How some prominent Democrats feel about the 2nd Amendment:

Quote:
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here."--Diane Feinstein, (D) U.S. Senator from California

In an op-ed published in the New York Times Tuesday, the 97-year-old former Supreme Court justice argues that advocates for stricter gun control legislation should take the next step and demand the removal of the Second Amendment entirely. --John Paul Stevens (D) former Supreme Court justice

"Instead, we should ban possession of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons, we should buy back such weapons from all who choose to abide by the law, and we should criminally prosecute any who choose to defy it by keeping their weapons," he wrote. "The ban would not apply to law enforcement agencies or shooting clubs."--Eric Swalwell (D) U.S. Representative from California

“I believe…..this is my final word……I believe that I’m supporting the Constitution of the United States which does not give the right for any individual to own a handgun….”--Jan Schakowsky, (D) U.S. Representative from Illinois

“No, we’re not looking at how to control criminals … we’re talking about banning the AK-47 and semi-automatic guns.”--Howard Metzenbaum, (D) former U.S. Senator

“If a bill to ban handguns came to the house floor, I would vote for it.”--Pete Stark, (D) U.S. Representative from California

” …we need much stricter gun control, and eventually should bar the ownership of handguns”--William Clay, (D) U.S. Representative from Missouri

“Banning guns is an idea whose time has come.”--Joseph Biden, (D) Vice President of the United States and current candidate for president

“I shortly will introduce legislation banning the sale, manufacture or possession of handguns (with exceptions for law enforcement and licensed target clubs)… . It is time to act. We cannot go on like this. Ban them!”--John Chafee, (D) Former U.S. Senator from Rhode Island

“We have to start with a ban on the manufacturing and import of handguns. From there we register the guns which are currently owned, and follow that with additional bans and acquisitions of handguns and rifles with no sporting purpose.”--Major Owens, (D) U.S. Representative from New York

“My staff and I right now are working on a comprehensive gun-control bill. We don’t have all the details, but for instance, regulating the sale and purchase of bullets. Ultimately, I would like to see the manufacture and possession of handguns banned except for military and police use. But that’s the endgame. And in the meantime, there are some specific things that we can do with legislation.”--Bobby Rush, (D) U.S. Representative from Illinois

“Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe. The National Guard fulfills the militia mentioned in the Second amendment. Citizens no longer need to protect the states or themselves.”--Dianne Feinstein, (D) U.S. Senator from California

“All of this has to be understood as part of a process leading ultimately to a treaty that will give an international body power over our domestic laws.”--Charles Pashayan, (D) U.S. Representative from California

“Confiscation could be an option…mandatory sale to the state could be an option.”--Andrew Cuomo, (D) Governor of New York

"Hell yes we're gonna' take your AR-15's" ---Beto O'Rourke (D) former U.S. Representative from Texas and Democrat candidate for president

“I don’t believe people should to be able to own guns.”-- Barack Obama (D) former President of the United States during conversation with economist and author John Lott Jr. at the University of Chicago Law School in the 1990s)

"We need a new paradigm because both sides are in the corner and they could come to the middle," Schumer said. "Those of who are pro-gun control have to admit that there is a Second Amendment right to bear arms... once we establish that there is a constitutional right to bear arms we should have the right admit, and maybe they'll be more willing to admit, that no amendment is absolute after all."--Chuck Schumer, (D) U.S. Senator from New York

"We can't just stand behind you and say we support our men and women in law enforcement community and then not have the laws on the books that help you do your job every day," he said. "And it's time as a city we have an assault weapon ban. And it's time as a state that we have an assault weapon ban. And it's time as a country that we have an assault weapon ban."--Rahm Emanuel, (D) former Mayor Chicago, Illinois

"We need to do something, at the very least, perhaps, about the high-capacity magazines that were used in this crime."--Richard Blumenthal, (D) U.S. Senator from Connecticut

"We cannot let a minority of people—and that’s what it is, it is a minority of people—hold a viewpoint that terrorizes the majority of people." On Australia's gun ban "So I think that’s worth considering," Clinton said. "I don’t know enough details to tell you how we would do it or how it would work. But certainly, the Australian example is worth considering."----Hillary Clinton (D) former U.S. Senator of New York, Secretary of State and Democrat candidate for president
George Stephanopoulos pushed Clinton twice on whether people have a right to own guns on ABC News’ "This Week": “But that's not what I asked. I said do you believe that their conclusion that an individual's right to bear arms is a constitutional right?” Clinton could only say: “If it is a constitutional right...”

"I can find nothing in the Second Amendment’s text, history, or underlying rationale that could warrant characterizing it as ‘fundamental’ insofar as it seeks to protect the keeping and bearing of arms for private self-defense purposes.”--Steven Breyer, Supreme Court Justice appointed by Bill Clinton

Old 05-24-2020, 02:36 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Fear is a powerful emotion.

The US is a dangerous country, and guns are an effective way to defend yourself, so it is good people have the ability to arm themselves. It would be even better if they did not have to do so, but it seems violence is a part of our culture.
Fair post.

Reasonably speaking though, but for certain limited geographic areas or being involved in drug dealing, violence just isn't that prevalent in the US.

Chicago, where I once lived, is a perfect example. You walk a couple miles and go from an annual murder rate of 1 per 100k to over 30 per 100k.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
To some extent, sure, but you are trying to argue all countries are equally violent and it is simply not true. On a scale from 1 to 10, some countries are 1 (very safe) and some are 10 (very violent), and the rest are somewhere between 1 and 10. In US violence is to an extent where we need guns to defend ourselves against violent attacks by our fellow countrymen, so we are nowhere near a '1'. Iceland is a '1'. Violence is very rare, and people do not need to have guns.

It is what it is. We are never going to be a '1', so we need to arm ourselves and prepare for a violent attack. Its a problem, and the solution is to prepare for battle. Isn't that why you own a gun?
I own guns for a multitude of reasons and own different guns of all shapes and sizes. I've owned them for years and had toy guns and air guns as a kid. The main reason is that I like them, I like working on them and shooting them. Self defense was not my primary reason for buying them but it is an added benefit. I had a concealed weapons permit when I lived in New York and have one in Arizona even though it's not required by law.

I also believe in the Constitution and my biggest fear is an out of control government that's willing to tear it to shreds in their quest for absolute power and control. The main reason why the 2nd Amendment was incorporated into the Bill of Rights in the first place. The main reason why the founders of this nation fought and won an armed insurrection against Great Britain.

Old 05-24-2020, 03:29 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I own guns for a multitude of reasons and own different guns of all shapes and sizes. I've owned them for years and had toy guns and air guns as a kid. The main reason is that I like them, I like working on them and shooting them. Self defense was not my primary reason for buying them but it is an added benefit. I had a concealed weapons permit when I lived in New York and have one in Arizona even though it's not required by law.

I also believe in the Constitution and my biggest fear is an out of control government that's willing to tear it to shreds in their quest for absolute power and control. The main reason why the 2nd Amendment was incorporated into the Bill of Rights in the first place. The main reason why the founders of this nation fought and won an armed insurrection against Great Britain.
Same here, I have owned a gun and hunted since I was 8 years old. I have added a few through the years and my FIL left me his 4 years ago when he passed. I also have a CCW even though they are not required here. I seldom hunt anymore for health reasons but I target shoot. And I carry one sometimes.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Same here, I have owned a gun and hunted since I was 8 years old. I have added a few through the years and my FIL left me his 4 years ago when he passed. I also have a CCW even though they are not required here. I seldom hunt anymore for health reasons but I target shoot. And I carry one sometimes.
I'm not a hunter, I've got nothing against it though. I'm more fascinated with mechanical objects both cars and guns. I do a lot of gunsmithing on my own guns as a hobby. I enjoy taking them apart and polishing out those tiny little parts doing trigger jobs and smoothing out their actions. I love how all those parts interact with each other. It's kinda' like a mechanical *** saw puzzle. Whenever I buy a new gun I just can't leave it alone.

I've carried for years and still do. Like the American Express Card, "I don't leave home without it". I've taken both firearms safety and tactical handgun courses. The safety courses were required for both my New York and Arizona concealed weapons permits. The tactical handgun courses I took on my own volition.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:06 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times
Beto O'Rourke just said out loud what all Democrats are thinking - "Hell yes I'm going to take your AR-15!".

Old 05-24-2020, 08:29 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,799,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
We can start with what 90% of the country including a majority of gun owners already support.
What exactly are we all supporting? Facts please.....

Old 05-24-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Beto O'Rourke just said out loud what all Democrats are thinking - "Hell yes I'm going to take your AR-15!".
Beto O'Rourke is the one that Biden said he's gonna' put in charge of gun policies. I live in Arizona too and you'd better believe that I will not under any circumstance vote for Mark Kelly or for any Democrat. I've had more than my fill of both them and their policies when I lived in New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies