Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 07:55 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times

Advertisements

I mentioned in a comment somewhere on this board that the emotions behind these first-time purchases won't soon fade, leading to a resurgence in support for our 2nd Amendment rights. That would be a Good Thingâ„¢. It appears I wasn't the only one thinking that way.

Quote:
Kane, a former supporter of gun-control measures and AR-15 bans, is frustrated by the arduous process that has denied his family a sense of security. The pandemic has made the soft-spoken software engineer an unlikely Second Amendment supporter.

"This has taken me, a law-abiding citizen with nary an unpaid parking ticket to my name, over a month," he told the Washington Free Beacon.
Quote:
An influx of new gun owners has the potential to permanently alter the politics surrounding guns in the United States. If industry estimates are correct, millions of Americans across the country have become first-time gun buyers since March. If the experience changes their minds about the ongoing debate over gun control it could tip the balance of political power toward pro-gun activists and politicians.
https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/f...heir-politics/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 08:08 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I mentioned in a comment somewhere on this board that the emotions behind these first-time purchases won't soon fade, leading to a resurgence in support for our 2nd Amendment rights. That would be a Good Thingâ„¢. It appears I wasn't the only one thinking that way.
Fear is a powerful emotion.

The US is a dangerous country, and guns are an effective way to defend yourself, so it is good people have the ability to arm themselves. It would be even better if they did not have to do so, but it seems violence is a part of our culture.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-23-2020 at 08:21 AM..

Old 05-23-2020, 08:16 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Over the past five - seven or more years I have seen many first time gun owners come to my gun club to shoot and practice at the range. Many of them are women. Consistently, they've expressed that they are tired of the Media and Government telling them they need to be victims and to just rely on the police to protect them. They are law abiding people from all walks of life. Teachers, business owners, stay at home mom's, engineers, accountants, lawyers, tradesmen, etc.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:19 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Lol, yea I'm glad I already have a few firearms and a supply of ammo. I have been waiting over a month now on a 22 pistol I'd been wanting for a while.

The retailer wont sell it without the BC even though after 3 days they could. Their discretion. Glad I dont really need it. This is ridiculous.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:12 AM

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times
I live in Los Angeles and i work in law enforcement, and a gun enthusiast.

I got a lot of questions from friends who aren't gun owners and they want to buy a gun for personal protection. I told them good luck in Los Angeles + pandemic

Old 05-23-2020, 09:15 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Most people support the 2A, and the right of people to own and shoot guns.

Supporting reasonable measures to prevent people who should not have guns from attaining them does not mean one wants to get rid of the 2A.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:17 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Most people support the 2A, and the right of people to own and shoot guns.

Supporting reasonable measures to prevent people who should not have guns from attaining them does not mean one wants to get rid of the 2A.
We ALREADY have 22.000 gun laws on the books, most of which are illegal and unconstitutional yet you want more because YOU and the MEDIA call them "Reasonable".

Plus ALL the crimes people commit with guns are also ALREADY ILLEGAL. You can't make them "MORE ILLEGAL".

Old 05-23-2020, 09:22 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Fear is a powerful emotion.

The US is a dangerous country, and guns are an effective way to defend yourself, so it is good people have the ability to arm themselves. It would be even better if they did not have to do so, but it seems violence is a part of our culture.
Nailed it Finn. I remember how gun sales spiked when Obama was elected. Now a shut down order to decrease the community spread of a virus is another reason to buy guns?

Facts are, it doesn't take much to make gun sales spike, many gun enthusiasts look for anything out of the ordinary to increase their arsenal.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:22 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
COVID-19 threatens them more than the government. Their guns are useless to them when they can no longer breathe.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:23 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
COVID-19 threatens them more than the government. Their guns are useless to them when they can no longer breathe.
And then you can pry their guns from their cold, dead fingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies