Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 05:42 AM

57,215 posts, read 26,166,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
As I have said MANY times before, if COVID-19 was more deadly than a very bad flu, there would be a LOT more deaths, and there would be a great shortage of grocery clerks, TSA agents, etc. These people come in contact with dozens of people a day, and so if the virus was all that terrible to MOST people, we would be seeing close to a million deaths in the U.S. by now, at least.

And, again, YES, I do know that this is NOT a hoax, but I am taking the view that although it was wise to be VERY cautious in February/March, this is no longer the case now, with more accurate numbers being known, "ENOUGH ALREADY, AND LET'S GET BACK TO TO HOW THINGS WERE IN 2019!!" (And I'm over 65, btw.) However, if there is a second and much deadlier wave in the autumn, I might very possibly change my mind.

Yes, people will continue to die from this, but the great majority of them are/were in bad health, anyway; and as many others have said, the chances of dying from other causes are MUCH greater than dying from COVID-19.
Comparing this to the H1N1 flu over roughly 100 days Covid-19 is 60 times deadlier and just consider the actions we took just to hold it at that level. We shut down schools, airlines and businesses just to keep it at this level, there is absolutely no comparison this is deadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 05:48 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,692 times
If its good news or positive the limp wristed leftist liberal media won't broadcast it.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:09 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,108,949 times
Quote:
As I have said MANY times before, if COVID-19 was more deadly than a very bad flu, there would be a LOT more deaths, and there would be a great shortage of grocery clerks, TSA agents, etc. These people come in contact with dozens of people a day, and so if the virus was all that terrible to MOST people, we would be seeing close to a million deaths in the U.S. by now, at least.

And, again, YES, I do know that this is NOT a hoax, but I am taking the view that although it was wise to be VERY cautious in February/March, this is no longer the case now, with more accurate numbers being known, "ENOUGH ALREADY, AND LET'S GET BACK TO TO HOW THINGS WERE IN 2019!!" (And I'm over 65, btw.) However, if there is a second and much deadlier wave in the autumn, I might very possibly change my mind.

Yes, people will continue to die from this, but the great majority of them are/were in bad health, anyway; and as many others have said, the chances of dying from other causes are MUCH greater than dying from COVID-19.
What?! With local lockdowns across the country, with people taking more precaution and being more hygienic than they've even been for any other flu season, Covid-19 has killed TWICE as many people in HALF the time as the normal seasonal flu. How did you come to the conclusion that this makes it less or even comparable to the flu?!

Old 05-25-2020, 08:18 AM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post

Well, you have contradicted yourself. There's an old saying, if someone speaks rubbish, watch out.

Sorry, this was MY fault because I did not recheck my post and I did not end Ariadne's post. How the post should have read was like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Absolutely incorrect. First, had you read this thread, you would know it was begun on a flawed premise. Jumping in at the end without reading posts isn't edifying for anyone.

There's no going back to how things were in 2019.

The reason we don't have more cases and deaths is because of the shutdown and social distancing.
With my reply being:

Quote:
The truth is that YES, we have not had thousands of more deaths is because of social distancing measures and because of improved medical treatments, but i have read dozens of science and medical articles, and neither you nor anyone posting on C-D cannot convince me that COVID-19 is as deadly as the 1918-9 flu pandemic.

It is estimated that 675,000 U.S. people died in the U.S. from that flu, and the U.S. population in 1918 was about 103 million then, less than one-third of what it is today -- which means that over two million people would have died if the population then was what it is now. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...emic-h1n1.html *. And, also, although no one knows for certain how many people died in the entire world from the 1918 flu, some estimates, including those of the CDC, put the number as high as 500 million -- so compare that to the 5.5 million CASES (not deaths) today and the 350,0000 deaths today -- and again, remember that the world population is 7.8 billion today, and it was less than one-fourth that in 1918. https://www.worldometers.info/world-...ation-by-year/

So, let me be clear: If COVID-19 had occurred 100 years ago, YES, it is possible that it would have been worse than the 1918-19 flu, but we are talking about what is going on today -- or at least I am.

*Please note that the article was produced by the CDC.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:20 AM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
What?! With local lockdowns across the country, with people taking more precaution and being more hygienic than they've even been for any other flu season, Covid-19 has killed TWICE as many people in HALF the time as the normal seasonal flu. How did you come to the conclusion that this makes it less or even comparable to the flu?!
I agree I will say though I can see how somebody who is say under 45 and healthy who has astronomical odds to survive this thing is thinking especially if they own a small business or have a job they are in danger of losing that they specifically want to open things up again slowly.

I think we can be reasonable and say it’s much more deadly then the flu but most healthy people they have an extremely high chance to survive this.

Looking at the mortality rate this seems closer to the Hong Kong flu then the Spanish Flu.

And to be clear I’m someone who was for the lockdown and still would like to be cautious as we open up. I just think there can be a middle ground here between this flu is nothing and this flu is the deadliest thing we’ve ever seen and whoever gets it will die.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:25 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,461,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Of course Influenza does not look like this:

https://twitter.com/Paradigmian/stat...95758683881473

And from that pictorial one should see why we have so many deniers.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I agree I will say though I can see how somebody who is say under 45 and healthy who has astronomical odds to survive this thing is thinking especially if they own a small business or have a job they are in danger of losing that they specifically want to open things up again slowly.

I think we can be reasonable and say it’s much more deadly then the flu but most healthy people they have an extremely high chance to survive this.

Looking at the mortality rate this seems closer to the Hong Kong flu then the Spanish Flu.

And to be clear I’m someone who was for the lockdown and still would like to be cautious as we open up. I just think there can be a middle ground here between this flu is nothing and this flu is the deadliest thing we’ve ever seen and whoever gets it will die.
Its predominantly older people but 40 million adults of all ages are considered at risk, adults between the ages of 18 and 64 with heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), uncontrolled asthma, diabetes, or a BMI greater than 40. are high risk. Right now I assume a large majority of this risk group have been on a hard quarantine for months.

This week there has been a lack of social distancing in every state, large groups of people congregating with no masks so we will see what the impact is in a few weeks.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Of course Influenza does not look like this:

https://twitter.com/Paradigmian/stat...95758683881473

And from that pictorial one should see why we have so many deniers.
Why would that picture create more deniers?

Old 05-25-2020, 08:52 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,897,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Comparing this to the H1N1 flu over roughly 100 days Covid-19 is 60 times deadlier and just consider the actions we took just to hold it at that level. We shut down schools, airlines and businesses just to keep it at this level, there is absolutely no comparison this is deadly.

Except there isn't an ounce of data to show the lockdowns had anything to do with the velocity of infections.

There have been several studies now conveying that lockdown states had no causality when it came to lower death rates.

In fact, many times the lockdown states had higher death rates than the states that remained more or less open.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:54 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Meanwhile:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...U2w?li=AAggNb9

A CDC that gets it's info via State reporting? Does the term GIGO mean anything to anyone on here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies