Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 09:01 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Refusal or even reluctance to wear a mask, has come to be viewed as boorishness and indecency. The unmasked are as it were the arrogant drivers cutting off neighboring traffic, and players of loud music with the windows down, the rambunctious drunks, the wolf-whistling cads.
Actually your complaint about anti-maskers rings true.

People who don't wear masks in supermarkets might as well wear a sign that says, "I don't care if I kill your Grandma." The anti-mask wearers are expressing a selfish attitude, that they won't bear the slightest inconvenience even if it means threatening the health of others around them. The world revolves around their own little ignorant brand of individualism. They reflect a segment of society that shouts "you can't make me" at every law, regulation, policy or polite request to do anything to help the common good.

1961, John F Kennedy: "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

2020, anti-mask Trumplicans: "You can't make me."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 11:01 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Fauci being truthful in March 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRa6t_e7dgI

And in that clip, the context that matters, is he's talking about real medical masks... probably N95 masks. He's saying they don't do a lot of good, and should be reserved, at that time, for medical people.

I think most of us aren't even wearing those, where masks are being worn. Most of the bullying about masks now, are about cloth and paper home-made masks that do less good.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:09 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Actually your complaint about anti-maskers rings true.

People who don't wear masks in supermarkets might as well wear a sign that says, "I don't care if I kill your Grandma." The anti-mask wearers are expressing a selfish attitude, that they won't bear the slightest inconvenience even if it means threatening the health of others around them. The world revolves around their own little ignorant brand of individualism. They reflect a segment of society that shouts "you can't make me" at every law, regulation, policy or polite request to do anything to help the common good.

1961, John F Kennedy: "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

2020, anti-mask Trumplicans: "You can't make me."
The result will be more deaths and less business activity. Losing!!

Old 05-24-2020, 11:14 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Just pretend you are a surgeon.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:14 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Masks versus no masks, people losing their minds and yelling at each other about masks... Causing us to fear and loathe people we've never met based on whether they're wearing a homemade cloth mask on their face. Even people far away, who can't possibly give us a virus.

I think all that is far more damaging than anything about this virus.

I don't want to live in a country that wears masks or argues about not wearing them.

Maybe this is easy for me to say, I'm in a fairly rural county and there's been no new cases in over a week. But that's exactly why we here should not be hating each other over masks. Perhaps there are places where they make sense, but it shouldn't be normal everywhere. It shouldn't ever be something we yell at strangers about in public. Or share videos about, further dividing us into groups over FEAR and judgment.

I want nothing more to do with this giant social experiment named COVID. The virus I can cope with. The social engineering, I think we need to reject.

Just say no to any more new normals! It needs to stop. Stop yelling at people. Stop mocking people. Stop haranging people. None of this is normal. Normal people wave and smile at other people. Normal people are just trying to live normal lives... Or trying to remember what that looked like.
Yup, the good ol' USA is filled with people like you. That's why we have 100,000 deaths. But better this than being an East Asian lemming right?

Old 05-24-2020, 11:18 AM

18,744 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Masks are bad for us... and it has nothing to do with the virus.

Uh-huh. That's why doctors and nurses wear them at every surgery, every spinal injection, every birth, even though the doctor and nurse are perfectly healthy.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:43 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Yup, the good ol' USA is filled with people like you. That's why we have 100,000 deaths. But better this than being an East Asian lemming right?
No, I'm not the reason we have 100,000 deaths. Fewer than nine people in my zip code have had it. We're doing pretty well out here, and yet still, I have been doing everything I'm supposed to do to be careful.

But you're the reason the country is full of fear and hatred of our neighbors and fellow citizens.... Because you don't know what I have been doing, you don't know a thing about me, and yet you just blamed me for 100,000 people dying. That's wrong and bad for this country! Can't you see that?

Old 05-24-2020, 11:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
No, I'm not the reason we have 100,000 deaths. Fewer than nine people in my zip code have had it. We're doing pretty well out here, and yet still, I have been doing everything I'm supposed to do to be careful.

But you're the reason the country is full of fear and hatred of our neighbors and fellow citizens.... Because you don't know what I have been doing, you don't know a thing about me, and yet you just blamed me for 100,000 people dying. That's wrong and bad for this country! Can't you see that?

Only a complete idiot is unable to see your point.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:04 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Yes it goes both ways. No one should mock someone for wearing a mask any more than anyone should shame people for not wearing them.

Some of the people who are very outwardly nervous about the virus are anxiety prone or have OCD anyway. We shouldn't make fun of them, this crisis is pushing them over the edge.

Particularly cruel is teasing them and making "Karen" videos about them when obviously they are having an awful time dealing with all of this, and we should realize some people are more sensitive than others. Some of them freak out easily, but it is best to ignore them and keep your distance, it is cruel to egg them on or make a mocking video of them.

I do wear a mask if I am going into a store, and where there are local orders to wear them. Then I take it off, it is not a big deal to me either way. If I see someone freaking out over anyone not wearing one, I mostly feel bad for them. If some anti-mask person is getting up on someone who is wearing a mask, I know they are intentionally being aggressive, trying to "scare" the person, and that is pathetic and juvenile.

This isn't the hill we want to die on, it's not worth it.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:04 PM

7,134 posts, read 4,540,768 times
It’s considerate to wear masks when out. Most people here are doing it and some stores don’t let you in without one. Asian countries have done this for years. I wouldn’t say anything to anyone without one but I also stay far away. Living rurally is very different than a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies