Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 01:26 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I don't like it either, but again, it's a matter of public health and masks may be with us until we have a vaccine against COVID-19, whenever that may be. There are worse things, like getting sick. Also, the bright side is that wearing a face mask protects you against other airborne illnesses, like colds and flu.

I think it's debatable whether it's actually about public health in many settings.

I can see their value when on a crowded subway. I don't see their value while walking outside on a beach.

There's a lot of debatable areas in between.

I don't actually think wearing masks and over-using all the disinfectants we're wiping everything and everybody down with right now is protecting us for the long term, it's probably actually preventing us from becoming immune to all the things we will need to face eventually going forward. Building societal immunity has never been about living in a bubble.

But hyper focus on this is turning us into germaphobes.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-24-2020 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
I don't understand the big deal, face masks are the latest fashion trend.

No, I really hope not.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:32 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
At least I have one.
Na-na na-na Na-Na

Old 05-24-2020, 02:29 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I wear a face mask whenever I go outside now. I don't like it; my glasses fog up, etc. But I do it, anyway. At the same time, I don't tell people without face masks to wear them. I just stay away from them as much as possible.

What bothers me is the minority - the anti-mask people who go into a store like Costco and get in the employees' faces while recording on their phones to complain about "this isn't the free country I grew up in" or whatever nonsense they want to spout. The employees are trying to enforce their company's rules; anti-mask people who make those ridiculous videos aren't doing themselves any favors. They just look like entitled, spoiled children who think the rules don't apply to them.

I don't like it that this issue has become political. It shouldn't be; it's an issue of public health. And although your old T-shirt face mask isn't the best choice of material, it's still better than nothing. If it cuts the rate of transmission from 90% to 50%, that's still lower, right? I'm not sure why this is difficult to understand or why some people are reacting the way they do.
Where I live almost everyone wears a mask, prob. 90 %. I live in a university area where people listen to the research, which is good. People aren't confrontational though. I just stay clear of the small amt. that don't wear them, like most others. Who would think a public health issue could become political? I never remember when we first learned about HIV, people not wearing gloves when in possible contact w/ body secretions because of politics. Or, any other public health problem not following the guidelines recommended.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:31 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
No, I really hope not.

That part's okay. I'm selling a ton of them. My bank account likes masks, regardless of how I personally feel about them.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:59 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
That's like asking: if a chain link fence works, how come we can see through them?
A chain link fence will stop a Grizzly bear. However does it present any obstacle to a sparrow?

Old 05-24-2020, 03:08 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Vast majority wear their mask wrong or have bad habits. As a result, the whole mask exercise is a bit useless

Old 05-24-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
A chain link fence will stop a Grizzly bear. However does it present any obstacle to a sparrow?

Is the sparrow carrying a coconut?

Old 05-24-2020, 08:27 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I have not read any of the posts on this thread except for Post #1 on this thread, and I think this "mask issue" is a prime example of those who live in densely populated areas versus those who don't. I live in a middle-class suburb, and people are still NICE to each other. Some people wear masks and some don't, but I have not personally witnessed even one unpleasant instance except that I was given a disapproving look for going the wrong way on a one-way aisle in a supermarket last week. (I had not kept up with this particular innovation, and as I had not gone grocery shopping for a month, and as the store had only about 15 customers in it at the time, I just wasn't paying attention.)

Honestly, this virus has just confirmed for me again that there is no way I would want to live in an urban area. (Of course, I do know, "different strokes for different folks".)

P.S. And, btw, I was also not wearing a mask because it had been weeks since I had been within 20 feet of anyone besides my spouse, who could say the same thing! If someone wants to say or think that I endangered anyone else by not wearing a mask -- well, that is their problem (and their right, even if they would be wrong).

Last edited by katharsis; 05-24-2020 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-24-2020, 08:45 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
People in ASIA all wear masks...COVID 19 contained better compared to USA in Asian countries...they help prevent spread of the virus. Wear your mask in public areas so we can Contain Covid 19!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies