Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 08:10 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
The only catastrophe would be for the friends and families of the almost 100,000 who have died in just three months' time. But if you haven't be affected by it, then it's no big whoop I suppose.

About 3 million people die in the US every year. That would be 750,000 in just three months' time. And it was probably a big whoop for their friends and family. And quite sad and unfortunate. But the remaining 350 million people aren't expected to put life on hold and suffer economic devastation for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 08:16 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
If Blue states do not open very soon, I suspect they will increase the pace of corps relocating away from such anti-business states.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:26 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
States rely heavily on sales and income taxes.
End thread.

Can't steal it if we ain't out there making it.

That's as bipartisan as it gets.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:40 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Good point. Back in late March, there seemed to be a sense that getting coronavirus was akin to a death sentence. There was a disconnect between the fear and the probability. Now people are starting to view it ass more like a bad flu, deadly for a small percentage of the people but survivable for the vast majority.

There was also a misperception perpetuated by the media that we would be like Italy and people would be dying left and right due to lack of respirators. We now know that respirators make almost no difference in the outcome and if you're sick enough to go on a respirator you have a very slim chance of surviving.
This seems to be a good summary.

I wear a mask at work because not only do I need to follow the rules, but I also have to see others are equipped to follow the rules too, wear a mask in certain areas, temp check, etc.

I go a step further. I have my mask handy wherever I go, which is not too many places. If I go to shop or go somewhere others, especially the workers themselves have their mask on, I put mine on.

All along, I've seen so many folks either refusing to wear the masks, wearing them improperly, etc., that you just shake your head.

Folks with their children. What is it with folks that wear the masks themselves, but don't burden their kids with having to wear theirs? Is it a hardship for them or something? Might as well take your masks off too loser parents. Either follow the rules or don't.

What I've observed lately, especially the last week or two, is folks are just done with the masks. The willingness to jump through the hoops has hit critical mass and has started to wind down.

Now, we just need to see what kind of a "spike" this creates in a couple of weeks. Some folks think this peak has already come and gone and they may have "scientific" evidence to back it.

I'm not totally sure, but I will wear my mask at work until our "Government Official" tells us otherwise, and I'll have one handy for when I interact with those others abiding as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
The only catastrophe would be for the friends and families of the almost 100,000 who have died in just three months' time. But if you haven't be affected by it, then it's no big whoop I suppose.
You're spitting into the wind, but keep up the good fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
A lot of these states with Dem governors actually oversee a red state by area. I mean like the whole state is red but there are one or two cities balancing it towards the Left.

There has been a breakdown lately of businesses, especially in red areas, just opening despite orders. With the public behind these businesses it's becoming a public opinion and media hornet's nest governors don't want to deal with. SWATing a hair salon will not end well...
Drama.

Bleed that Great Clip Story for all she's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies