Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 11:19 AM

5,781 posts, read 5,082,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It is easy to say in a survey that I would pay more for an American made product...and I do support local businesses even paying a premium for goods and services BUT.....will it pan out in reality.
Americans seem to think that with a snap of their almighty fingers, the US will magically have all sorts of manufacturing capabilities, retail and transportation chain links, raw material and partS links to make and service all sorts of stuff.....sure just like magic! Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 11:50 AM

14,733 posts, read 9,679,171 times
Japan is "trying" to do it as well. I think china may have pooped in their mess kit.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:53 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,421,476 times
Poll: Most Americans Say They Would Pay More for Products NOT Made in China

Well, they SAY that. People say a lot of things, but this issue has been going on for many decades.

Before China, it was Japan, and Taiwan. Same problem. They say they would rather buy American, but it comes down to price most of the time for most people.

What people say and what they do are two different things.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:02 PM

5,781 posts, read 5,082,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Poll: Most Americans Say They Would Pay More for Products NOT Made in China

Well, they SAY that. People say a lot of things, but this issue has been going on for many decades.

Before China, it was Japan, and Taiwan. Same problem. They say they would rather buy American, but it comes down to price most of the time for most people.

What people say and what they do are two different things.
That’s why these polls and the following nationalistic bravado and hate-china threads should always be met with a giant LOL.....

Old 05-26-2020, 12:05 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 19 minutes ago)

27,537 posts, read 16,018,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Should read "heavy doody"

Old 05-26-2020, 12:51 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,149,534 times
Absolutely!!!!!!!!!! Will it ever happen? Doubtful. One of the problems, especially with the younger generation, is filling those minimum wage jobs at the factories if America did attempt to start making everyday household items.

Heck, if you listen to Mike Rowe at all, the young kids won't even step up to take high paying blue collar jobs as it is! So I think we have a real problem here.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:01 PM

35,557 posts, read 20,897,588 times
Well I don't believe it - ask Wally world #1 shopping experience in the USA- and now with so many unemployed or BROKE- please. Th thrift stores need to hire more folks.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:05 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,137,961 times
Actually there are much less made in China products available in U.S. as compared with 10 years ago. By that time whatever product you picked up in Walmart was made in China.

I checked all the products that I bought last year. Only the MacBook and the air fryer (Philips) are made in China.

Don't buy made-in-China does not imply that you have to buy made in U.S. Practically many products are not economically feasible to produce in U.S. I prefer to buy from our allies or friends. Those countries that will not take your money and then use it to make lethal weapon targeting at U.S.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:08 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
It is most interesting to live this long -we are back to 1968 -when we were faced with paying Americans to do work- back then we said Baloney let’s off shore and use illegals -let the foreigners do it and send the kids to school for the next 20 years
Decision time again

Old 05-26-2020, 01:10 PM

46,889 posts, read 25,860,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I’d be willing to pay more for a product made in The USA. End China’s grip on USA economy.
Words are cheap. They've had the opportunity to do so for years. American Giant (no affiliation) makes better hoodies, t-shirts and jeans than anything I've seen elsewhere. American cotton, American factories that deliberately work slower than those in Thailand. 25% more expensive than Nike, lasts and lasts and lasts.

And they're struggling.

Quote:
Please list something useful that you have bought recently, or at least know of, that is Made in USA.
See above.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 05-26-2020 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies