Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 10:07 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 18 days ago)

34,497 posts, read 16,584,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Do you think he will be in jail for longer than 12.5 years which was the sentence given to the racist Somali American cop in Minneapolis who killed Justine Ruszczyk an unarmed white woman?

Keep in mind Justine was shot and killed in July of 2017.

Noor wasn’t charged until March of 2018. Nine months later. Compare that to this situation where the officer was charged days later. Where was the outrage? Looting? Riots? Burning of cities?
You really don't remember the massive riots by the Australian community in Minnesota? After all the person that Justine Ruszczyk, the person Noor euthanized was an Australian tourist. They torched the American embassy in Australia. By the way that was how I found out we even had an embassy in Canberra.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:08 PM

4,459 posts, read 3,649,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's not the standard needed to convict a police officer. And, again, pointing to the knee in the neck doesn't have the legal significance that many thought it did pre-autopsy.

Whether protesters see this or not doesn't change those facts.
Okay great, so are you only talking About his criminal case?

Or do you think what this murderer officer did was okay since the autopsy supposedly shows that?

Old 05-29-2020, 10:10 PM

26,220 posts, read 14,831,102 times
Quote:
That's the argument I'd put forward as the prosecution. But if the cop didn't know of Floyd's medical conditions, that information could possibly be legally irrelevant.

Make no mistake about it, it appears pretty evident to me that George Floyd would be alive today if not for the police action that day. And if this was a case of civilian on civilian homicide, the case would be an open and shut one. Likewise, if it was shown that the cop's knee to the neck for 10 minutes literally suffocated Floyd to death, the case would be easy in my eyes, even with a killer cop. But things get more difficult when faced with the preliminary autopsy report here.
I honestly think there will be pressure for a conviction so more riots don't happen.

I think you are right that most adult men can withstand that knee there, but Floyd couldn't and the knee there didn't seem to be necessary as he didn't appear to be resisting, was hand cuffed on the ground and outnumbered by many cops there.

I don't see how the cop can walk.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:11 PM

30,489 posts, read 17,940,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Okay great, so are you only talking About his criminal case?

Or do you think what this murderer officer did was okay since the autopsy supposedly shows that?
The answers to both of your questions are in plain English in my original post (post #1).

2,074 posts, read 1,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Do I think he'll be in prison (not jail, prison) longer than 12.5 years?

If they toss out murder and give him manslaughter, I think he'll do 10 or less with "good behavior"...that is, if they charge him at all.
He has been charged and in a much quicker manner than Noor was. You seriously don’t even know that he was indeed charged today and the specific charges? Why should anyone be more outraged about this case than Justine’s case when it took them 9 months to charge a racist cop who killed someone who was unarmed and he just got 12 years (which he will likely serve 70% or so and be let on his merry way).

Why is this case more important? Tell me. Everything has been done in a very expedited and swift manner.

30,159 posts, read 23,545,197 times
Quote:
If this was a civilian on civilian death, the charge of murder would be open and shut. As if it was the case if the cop's placement of the knee in the neck for 10 minutes literally killed Floyd. But, as I've mentioned before (you clearly ignored that part), there is a different legal standard for charging and convicting police officers acting in their legal capacities.

It is almost certain that Floyd would be alive today if not for being cuffed and placed on the ground by the cops. But that is NOT the standard that will be used at trial.
The mayor already came out and said that what that officer did was NOT authorized for MPD to use.

No "legal" anything about what he did.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:12 PM

20,623 posts, read 8,393,143 times
Photos shows cop with gas mask and covered up except for his eyes who was identified by his ex-wife as one of the men torching businesses. Evidently he was moonlighting as a domestic terrorist for George Soros' Open Society

Old 05-29-2020, 10:14 PM

30,489 posts, read 17,940,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I honestly think there will be pressure for a conviction so more riots don't happen.

I think you are right that most adult men can withstand that knee there, but Floyd couldn't and the knee there didn't seem to be necessary as he didn't appear to be resisting, was hand cuffed on the ground and outnumbered by many cops there.

I don't see how the cop can walk.
I'll just reiterate that the preliminary autopsy shows that Floyd didn't die of asphyxiation. Now, I agree 110% that the knee to the neck was not necessary. The knee to the neck was reckless and unnecessary and showed reckless disregard to Floyd's life and health. If the autopsy showed that this is what killed Floyd, I'd think the case for murder would be open and shut.

Now, the cop very well may not walk. I think that the cop clearly broke some laws via the knee placement, whether or not that is what killed Floyd. The only question I have is whether the autopsy results support a murder conviction given the circumstances.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:15 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,395,561 times
Quote:
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...mbined-health/

This is a big reason why I often caution people to wait for the evidence to come out before coming to certain conclusions as a matter of fact and law.

Now, the officers still behaved inappropriately and I believe that the knee to the neck was STILL excessive and warrants some kind of charge. But, in light of these findings (and understanding that the Floyd family is requesting a private autopsy), I now see no realistic way that the ex-cop gets convicted of murder.

The standard for convicting police officers who cause death or injury while acting in their official capacities is already challenging. But I was hopeful that, if the evidence showed that the clearly excessive knee to neck hold literally caused Floyd to be choked to death (there was already skepticism based on that by the fact that Floyd was able to state repeatedly that he couldn't breathe, which shows that he was able to breathe . . . people get on the MS mayor for making a similar point--and I've said that just because something is factual doesn't mean that it should be uttered) then there would be a clear cut case of unlawful homicide even with the cop's status (and, to be clear, I want all of the cops on the scene charged with something).

If I was the now ex-officer, I may not even request a jury trial.
So the cop kneeling his body weight on him for nine minutes had nothing to do with it? Fascinating. Conservative logic!

Old 05-29-2020, 10:15 PM

4,459 posts, read 3,649,989 times
Quote:
The answers to both of your questions are in plain English in my original post (post #1).
Well, that’s convenient. Nobody cares. The guy is dead because of the idiot officer’s actions. He’s holding a knee to his neck for 3 minutes after he passes out? He’s a criminal. Charge him with murder, 3rd degree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies