Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 11:42 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,384,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I can think of any number of other reasons to riot today, the Lockdown for one, No health insurance, part time earners excluded from the stimulus plan, and Bernie Sanders not being the Democratic nominee.
So, you think people should riot because voting did not go in their favor?

Seems you really hate democracy, voting.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:47 AM

23,143 posts, read 28,910,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
So, you think people should riot because voting did not go in their favor?

Seems you really hate democracy, voting.
No, not democracy, but the Electoral College!

Old 05-28-2020, 11:50 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,950,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No, that's Cedar-Riverside you're thinking of. This rioting involved Black Americans and it took place in the Uptown area of Minneapolis.
not Uptown...Phillips/Longfellow

Old 05-28-2020, 11:50 AM

29,194 posts, read 14,465,656 times
A post popped up in my FB feed from the George Takei page talking about this situation. On poster stated that he thinks the cops are definitely at fault but rioting should be considered domestic terrorism.

That post is getting slayed...the comments calling him a racist worst is unbelievable. These SJW twits on that page are truly scary. If you just slightly stray from the group think , you are done.
On poster replied to him with how do you expect to get things done without violence and vandalism and that our country was founded on that.

Is this really where our country is now ? SMH

Old 05-28-2020, 11:52 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,487,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The owner of a corner store there called Cup Foods, said that Floyd had come in and tried to buy something, paying with a $20 bill that the owner said tested as counterfeit. So the owner called the cops. Cops showed up while Floyd was still outside the store, sitting in the driver's seat of a car with two other people in it. Video pretty much shows the rest, except for a period after the cops cuffed Floyd and walked him to a cop car across the street. Floyd appears to be pretty much completely cooperative, never attacks the cops, never tries to run etc. That video ends with the cop and Floyd standing next to the cop car, a pretty long distance from the camera. Another video (the one that triggered all the shock) starts with Floyd on the ground and a cop kneeling with his knee on Floyd's neck, with Floyd saying "I can't breathe".

What happened between the time Floyd and the cop are standing next to the cop car (end of that video), and the start of the video showing Floyd on the ground with the knee on his neck?

Only thing that could have (maybe) justified the knee on the neck, is if Floyd's behavior changed abruptly to extreme violence, attacking the cops or trying to run or something. That would be extremely odd, since he never did anything like that during the minutes when cops took him out of his own car, cuffed him, walked him to the building, and then walked him to the cop car. He was cooperative and pretty peaceful all the time, doing what the cops told him etc. Maybe he was jawing at the cops, but they get that all the time, it doesn't even count as "resisting".

Why would he suddenly change right after the cop-walk video ended and behave in ways violent enough to justify the knee on the neck... if he changed at all?

Somebody here who says he saw another video that might cover the time between the cop-walk video and the knee-on-the-neck video, said that Floyd appeared to fall down then, almost as though he had fainted.

Anybody know where that video is? Anybody else seen it?
NO LINK. I hesitate to say anything because I don't have a link to support what I'm sure I read soon after this killing happened. One article claimed that when the cops tried to put Floyd in the back of the their car, he told them he was claustrophobic and refused to enter the vehicle. I don't recall the source of the claim.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:53 AM

4,414 posts, read 2,910,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What does this have to do with what that police officer did to George Floyd?
DO we have to spell it out for you. Blacks are more violent than whites. Thats why they are being "targeted" or have more run ins with law enforcement. But even thats not true if thats your narrative because twice as many whites are killed by cops.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:58 AM

52,544 posts, read 34,259,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
NO LINK. I hesitate to say anything because I don't have a link to support what I'm sure I read soon after this killing happened. One article claimed that when the cops tried to put Floyd in the back of the their car, he told them he was claustrophobic and refused to enter the vehicle. I don't recall the source of the claim.
"Charles McMillian, 60, of Minneapolis, said he saw police trying to get Floyd into the back of the squad car and heard Floyd tell them he was claustrophobic."
https://www.trtworld.com/americas/fo...ge-floyd-36657

Old 05-28-2020, 12:05 PM

2,106 posts, read 971,497 times
What was his crime anyhow , also theres a lot more videos to see yet that hadn’t been shown . Plus one video shows him sitting on the ground then it jumps to him laying on the ground , what happened in between that ?

Old 05-28-2020, 12:09 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,170,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Let's talk about crime

There are about a dozen or so Sub Saharan African nations with lower homicide rates or equal to that of the USA. Look into Rwanda and Bukina Faso( one of the lowest in the world)

Old 05-28-2020, 12:13 PM

26,733 posts, read 22,400,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
DO we have to spell it out for you. Blacks are more violent than whites. Thats why they are being "targeted" or have more run ins with law enforcement. But even thats not true if thats your narrative because twice as many whites are killed by cops.

Yes they are.
Yes it's all true, but acting in the manner that police officer did, undermines the trust in law, the very law that police suppose to represent and protect.
It undermines the trust in any justice.

If the police officer kills a man fearing for his own life, suspecting that he might have a weapon, that's one thing, and this can be understood and justified.

But when you kill a man just because you can, just "to teach him a lesson" when he is already handcuffed and begs for his life - this sends a totally different message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.