Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 11:13 AM

15,828 posts, read 6,536,770 times

Advertisements

Every store I've been in the past couple of months has taken measures to be more hygenic, so the issue hasn't come up. I'd probably avoid a store that didn't. Note that many stores are shut down.

Last edited by rjshae; 05-26-2020 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 11:16 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Then I'd probably wear a mask for MY protection, instead of counting on others do do so.

Reasonable answer.

However, I still think the store employees should be putting forth the courtesy to their customers to wear a mask.

I know wearing one sucks, but the science does dictate that chances of transmission are reduced if both people are wearing one.

I know if I was the store owner, Id be trying to make my now shrinking customer base feel comfortable about being there.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:17 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
As things stand right now, on May 26th, 2020.

With things just starting to open back up......

Would you feel comfortable about walking into a store who's employees aren't wearing masks?

I just tried to get some swimming pool supplies in the store I've been frequenting for a few years now..

Walked in and had to wait for a particular salesman to ask about a problem I was having.

Store is maybe 1800 square feet with approximately 5 employees.

While I was waiting, more customers came in...... probably 6 customers plus me making a total of 12 people in the store........ nobody wearing a mask but me.

Due to my age and some physical conditions, I'm a high risk individual.

Didn't feel comfortable, so I walked out.

Now, I realize that many stores have made the decision not to require customers to wear a mask....

But I think at this point, store employees should be wearing them.

What say you?
IMO, let everyone decide for themselves. If you are not healthy than stay home or ask someone to bring it to you. Even call the store to have the item for curbside pick up and for all others, let them decide for themselves.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:18 AM

10,063 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Every business I have been in--restaurant or retail in the past 2 weeks--has had their employees wearing masks. But the general population in both Tennessee and Georgia--has had a minimal mask-wearing customer base. Maybe 20% of customers have worn masks?

If I owned a business, I agree that for the sake of anyone who happens to come into the restaurant or store--the employees should have a mask.

Even though my general stance is that if you have a pre-existing condition or are in a group older than 65 or so, you should stay home and reduce ever going out, until we hear otherwise.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:22 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
I want to say no I wouldn't but I did walk into a small shop for custom cabinetry. The showroom was small, hot, and stuffy. The older man did not wear a mask but I stayed a few minutes to talk to him.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:25 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:

Would you feel comfortable about walking into a store who's employees aren't wearing masks?

I just tried to get some swimming pool supplies in the store I've been frequenting for a few years now..

Walked in and had to wait for a particular salesman to ask about a problem I was having.

While I was waiting, more customers came in...... probably 6 customers plus me making a total of 12 people in the store........ nobody wearing a mask but me.

Now, I realize that many stores have made the decision not to require customers to wear a mask....

What say you?
Yes.
You are high risk, you should wear a mask.
I am not high risk and there are low numbers in my area. If I were high risk or felt the need to wear a mask I would. I do not expect everyone else to.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:25 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
IMO, let everyone decide for themselves. If you are not healthy than stay home or ask someone to bring it to you. Even call the store to have the item for curbside pick up and for all others, let them decide for themselves.

I agree we should let everyone decide for themselves.

You shouldn't have to legislate good manners.

I just don't think it's a wise move, or particularly courteous of the store....... maybe in a few months if this proves to be going away or when treatment/vaccines become available.

I'm as anxious to get back to normal as anyone.

But not everyone who is a higher risk individual has the option to "just stay home".

Old 05-26-2020, 11:30 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Quote:

What say you?
Depends - has your governor made them mandatory? I know my cousin was upset when he went to Lowes in Florida in his area yesterday as he said only 1/2 the people had masks on. He was po'd because he says why aren't they enforcing these things - either everyone should do it or don't make it mandatory.

We wear them in NY because it's mandatory and most stores do have signs saying you have to wear them in order to shop there. I'm in agreement with my cousin though - if it's mandatory everyone should be doing it.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:39 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Sure. We had 4 cases in my entire county, all well over a month ago.
I agree with this. It is very situational. Yes, I would do business with "a" company who's employees don't wear masks, but not "any" company. Example: I would go to a horse ranch in montana, but not a doctor's office, most places are well in the middle and not so cut an dry. (extreme cases intentionally, to make a point).

Quote:
Masks are kinda silly-people are wearing them for virtue signaling, not safety. Now if I were riding the subway in NYC, it might be a different story. That's why it's so stupid to expect the same response in the entire country.
Disagree here. Masks are not silly, and they certainly are not just for "virtue signalling". As you point out, there is a difference depending on where you are and the circumstances. Wearing a mask is VERY serious in some places, and not so much in others. In general, I think it is a small measure that can make somewhere between a minor to significant difference in slowing down the spread of the virus.

People who say it's silly to wear one in a store either don't understand it is not just to pretect themselves, or they just don't care.

As Toyman accurately points it, "one size fits all" is not going to work on this subject. That does not, however, make the subject in any way silly.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:42 AM

962 posts, read 612,573 times
People that wear masks are weak, damaged, and afraid for no reason at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies