Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 11:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
As things stand right now, on May 26th, 2020.

With things just starting to open back up......

Would you feel comfortable about walking into a store who's employees aren't wearing masks?

I just tried to get some swimming pool supplies in the store I've been frequenting for a few years now..

Walked in and had to wait for a particular salesman to ask about a problem I was having.

Store is maybe 1800 square feet with approximately 5 employees.

While I was waiting, more customers came in...... probably 6 customers plus me making a total of 12 people in the store........ nobody wearing a mask but me.

Due to my age and some physical conditions, I'm a high risk individual.

Didn't feel comfortable, so I walked out.

Now, I realize that many stores have made the decision not to require customers to wear a mask....

But I think at this point, store employees should be wearing them.

What say you?
I say I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 11:48 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
People that wear masks are weak, damaged, and afraid for no reason at all.
Would that apply to all health care workers who have been wearing masks for decades now? Surgeons, dentists, nurses, etc., they are all weak, damaged, and afraid, and their masks are completely pointless???

Old 05-26-2020, 11:48 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Then I'd probably wear a mask for MY protection, instead of counting on others do do so. Or not, in my area. Again, 4 total cases in the county, none in nearly 2 months. Those are betting odds. In NYC, perhaps not so much.
Quote:
Reasonable answer.

I still have a hard time with that answer. I get it on one hand, and on the other, not so much. To me, I've always said there must be balance. At risk people should do as much as possible to protect their own safety (so in that sense, it's reasonable), but so should society. It's the same reason we don't let people smoke on planes anymore. Heck, in a sense, it's the same reason dangerous people are taken off the street and put in prison. It's not fair to stomp on other people's freedom, just so some of us don't have to be inconvenienced. Being asked to wear a mask is not an infringement on freedom, but (IMO) telling all the old people, all the people with compromising diseases, and all the people who are otherwise at risk that they can't, or shouldn't be able to do things JUST SO OTHERS can do it more conveniently doesn't sound right to me.

Again, if you live in a rural county with only four cases, and none in two months, you SHOULD have a different set of rules and guidelines than those in hotspots, travel-hubs, or dense population. That just makes sense to me.

I think some of us would have a different perspective if we lived in an area like Toyman, and I'd hope he'd have a different perspective (he said he does) if he lived in NYC. So the only part I really take exception to is continued misinformation, blame, and implication that wearing a mask is a stomp on your freedom.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:49 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
So if I take off my mask, I am now strong, fixed, and fearless for no reason at all?

Old 05-26-2020, 11:51 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
quite the blanket statement there.

Far more often wrong than correct, but I guess you could find a case for either.

What do you say about people who blindly repeat propaganda without understanding the consequences, and people who make blanket statements about things that realistically have different answers in different situations?

Old 05-26-2020, 11:55 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
As things stand right now, on May 26th, 2020.

With things just starting to open back up......

Would you feel comfortable about walking into a store who's employees aren't wearing masks?

I just tried to get some swimming pool supplies in the store I've been frequenting for a few years now..

Walked in and had to wait for a particular salesman to ask about a problem I was having.

Store is maybe 1800 square feet with approximately 5 employees.

While I was waiting, more customers came in...... probably 6 customers plus me making a total of 12 people in the store........ nobody wearing a mask but me.

Due to my age and some physical conditions, I'm a high risk individual.

Didn't feel comfortable, so I walked out.

Now, I realize that many stores have made the decision not to require customers to wear a mask....

But I think at this point, store employees should be wearing them.

What say you?
To your question, I would say no, I would not support stores right now if employees are not wearing masks. Thankfully it is not even a choice I have to make. Our governor (USVI) has mandated masks for employees as well as customers at every store, business, and all people gathering anywhere with non-household members.

That requirement, along with banning tourists (until June 1, so fingers crossed), has worked very well at keeping our Covid numbers low. Good thing, because we don't exactly have world class health care here.

When I once again live in the states, I plan to buy my first ever Costco membership, as a way of supporting them for their health-conscious mask policy.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:59 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
I see it the other way around. The ones who refuse to wear a mask are the ones who are weak, because they believe everything they read on the internet, that the big bad boogeyman is coming to take their rights away. It's either that, or they're scared of how it'll make them look.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:01 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
What say you?
It is not optional where I live (Florida). You will be denied entry if you are not wearing one. The only place where I saw this not enforced was a one-man bait & tackle shop.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:06 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Depends - has your governor made them mandatory? I know my cousin was upset when he went to Lowes in Florida in his area yesterday as he said only 1/2 the people had masks on. He was po'd because he says why aren't they enforcing these things - either everyone should do it or don't make it mandatory.

We wear them in NY because it's mandatory and most stores do have signs saying you have to wear them in order to shop there. I'm in agreement with my cousin though - if it's mandatory everyone should be doing it.

I don't think they're currently mandatory, the only thing I found was a little vague, said it depends on the business and if social distancing was possible.

Virginia.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:11 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:

I do have damaged lungs..... so there is that.

I also have to wear them at my work per company policy to protect MY customers, so it would be nice if the favor was returned.

There's a difference between being weak and afraid and being sensible considering your own health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies