Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 09:52 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,531,019 times

Advertisements

California made it easier to vote by mail in response to the pandemic...

Republican National Committee sues California to halt vote-by-mail for November general election - KTLA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 09:58 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
I'd need to see the actual lawsuit to see what the legal claims (whether they are federal or state claims, and exactly what they are) before I can reach an opinion on whether such a lawsuit has a chance in hell.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:00 PM

10,073 posts, read 14,453,980 times
Voting by mail is a voter fraud architect's dream scenario.

It's got so many potential issues with it, I can see why the GOP is suing.

They should sue, because it's a loosey-goosey way for anyone to cheat.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:06 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times
The Left's latest scheme to rewrite voting regs will lead to widespread invalidations of vote counts. Ultimately, it won't be in their favor.
When both sides claim they won and neither will stand down, we'll have a problem.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

I agree.

People say that there aren't many cases of proven fraud with vote by mail (of course, I never hear people mention the fact that a congressional election in North Carolina was overturned due to vote by mail fraud involving illegal ballot harvesting), but my problem with the system is that, unless you lay eyes to something like illegal ballot harvesting--it would almost be impossible to prove even basic fraud under the system. But a lack of proof due to difficulty to prove does not mean that fraud is not taking place. And in a time where we have had a recent congressional election overturned due to illegal vote by mail ballot harvesting tactics--its irrelevant to me that a GOP operative was behind that scandal as this is a non-partisan issue and Democrats should be just as weary about such efforts) and had statewide elections decided by hundreds of votes, that'a risk and I and others do not want to take.

Note, even outside of the concerns above, I do not trust partisan postal workers to not disappear certain returned ballots coming from conservative or liberal precincts. And, absent people logging onto the voter website to see if ballots had been delivered (note, I'm not even sure that this is even an option in every state with a vote by mail option) which I would imagine only a relative few do where its an option anyway, I'm not sure how you'd even catch such fraud.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:40 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
When republicans start claiming voter fraud, several months before the election, it's obvious that they realize they will lose in a big way and adopting tactics that might skew things in their favor, is the only course of action they can propose. Mail-in balloting has been successfully conducted in several states for some time and it should become the national standard for all elections. And despite republicans' best efforts, it probably will be adopted nationally. Republicans know that individual democrats have fewer resources than they do and not so many are able to travel to polling places. They want to obstruct mail-in voting, to preserve one of their unfair advantages.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
When republicans start claiming voter fraud, several months before the election, it's obvious that they realize they will lose in a big way and adopting tactics that might skew things in their favor, is the only course of action they can propose. Mail-in balloting has been successfully conducted in several states for some time and it should become the national standard for all elections. And despite republicans' best efforts, it probably will be adopted nationally. Republicans know that individual democrats have fewer resources than they do and not so many are able to travel to polling places. They want to obstruct mail-in voting, to preserve one of their unfair advantages.

I recall similar arguments made in 2016. Do tell us what "tactics" the GOP adopted to "skew" the election.

Or will you just continue pushing nonsense?

Old 05-24-2020, 10:54 PM

10,073 posts, read 14,453,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This is a naive look at mail-in ballots.

So much fraud could occur--and will. But the Democrats would love that--and it would be ever so convenient for them, wouldn't it.

It is not a good system for accuracy in voting. That is why it has never been a standard way for everyone to vote, over the course of history.

Accuracy is key--and mail-in ballots are just asking for folks to cheat the system, and get their candidate elected.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:15 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
Quote:

Historically it has worked well. This is not "loosey-goosey" at all. We have many decades of experience with this practice, and absentee balloting was in practice during the US War Between the States and every election (for military personnel) since. So we are really talking about 156 years, approximately 7 or 8 generations of Americans. This practice is as American as apple pie. I find it odd that so many people don't know this, as if they have been completely out of touch with politics in America most of their lives.

Trump himself voted in the Florida primary by mail-in ballot. Are you assuming he would cheat?

The only scandal I am aware of was a ballot harvesting practice in North Carolina not too long ago, and that was caught. Because it was a close race, the election in that district was done over as I recall.

The possibility of cheating (thus far unsubstantiated) is an EXCUSE, not the reason for opposing mail in ballots. I think we all by now know the real reason for this opposition.

I think your complaint is a manufactured one, perhaps not manufactured by you, but pushed in your direction. Some people are inventing problems which do not exist for their own purposes.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:46 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,656,423 times
Quote:

We can do our taxes through the mail and online securely and without fraud...there is no reason we can't do the same with elections. If anything is ripe for fraud, it's electronic voting machines in every outpost of America which are not secure, have been easily proven to be infiltrated or manipulated, and our politicians are not interested in protecting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies