Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 09:30 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

The assumption is that if you can code a bit At amateur level and got a high school diploma you will be hired before someone with a masters degree in computer science
with a strong math background
Rubbish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 09:33 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Its going to be "fun" watching all the jobs for low level workers disappear.

25% of the population has an IQ of 90 or less. Jobs for them still exist but for example... How many truck drivers will we need in 15 years....
As long as self driving things keep killing people and newly unemployed truck drivers could always sabotage driverless trucks, we will probably need lots of them.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:36 AM

1,246 posts, read 825,089 times
It's a glib suggestion showing no respect for programming as an art or computer science as a science.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:37 AM

2,066 posts, read 901,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
10 print "this computer sucks"
20 goto 10
run.

coding in the 1980s

"Why waste time tabbing out and adding a line number to my stack of punch-cards ? No one will e v e r drop the tray …"

Old 05-27-2020, 09:37 AM

1,134 posts, read 404,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
10 print "this computer sucks"
20 goto 10
run.

coding in the 1980s
Exactly! That was my start too. Commodore 64 way back, then a Commodore 128 with two disk drives! Didn't buy the Amiga, jumped to an IBM compatible PC with a whopping 40 megabyte HD. EGA graphics card. DOS commands only. Then jumped to Windows 3.1 and went through all those versions. These days I kick back and enjoy my 5k iMac with multiple SSD's for storage. It's been a long and sometimes strange journey but it's been fun.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:38 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Its going to be "fun" watching all the jobs for low level workers disappear.

25% of the population has an IQ of 90 or less. Jobs for them still exist but for example... How many truck drivers will we need in 15 years...

Brings me back to a theatre ca 1986 watching the first scene food riot in the film "Running Man" and wondering if it was indeed predicting the future.
Trucking and other such work came after a loss of much of the unionized factory work, mining, and small local businesses.

But its not as if high skilled labor is just waiting for all Americans to take a turn.

Most high level programming is competitive and basic 'coding' that can be learned from online classes is handled by indian or chinese workers in Asia for cheap.

That is not a solution for middle aged people in a dying community. And the solution is coming from social scientists such as economists and politicians who have no idea what they are talking about. Its not the 90s anymore, most of the major code is already written. Being familiar with the software is a wanted knowledge, but people aren't going to learn that from a few online classes.

And these utopian globalists always talk about tech freeing people to do whatever they want, but than use it to close up markets and create a valued labor skill that must be spread across the masses.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:39 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Its a nice excuse for global investors and international organizations who want to force the market in one direction to wash their hands of any problems, but it also means there is no critical analysis of what these global institutions are doing.
small problem.
Both parties are owned by big corporate.
Big corporate has only 2 goals. 1) Shareholders 90%. 2) C level pay 10%. None will say it but many would happily put 100,000 people out of work to give a guy with 1 billion an extra 1 million. Employees are largely viewed as liabilities.

This is reality and I doubt it will change.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:39 AM

9,508 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

But I don't understand. Most code is already written, which leaves maintenance and more basic instructive coding.

The latter is handled for cheap by Indians and Chinese, most of the low level coding having already been off-shored. They model it like an assembly line to lower costs.

Saying "most code is already written" is a bit of a stretch. I've been writing software since 1984 and even back then everyone predicted that the need for programmers would fall off in 20 years. It didn't - in fact, quite the opposite happened and continues to happen. Growth is the software development industry is phenomenal. The company I work for plans to hire thousands of software developers over the next year so, after just hiring nearly 5,000+ in the last year or so. We literally can't hire qualified people fast enough. None of these jobs can be farmed out to foreigners since a clearance is required. If you're an upstanding citizen (i.e., can get a clearance) and can develop software, you can practically write your own ticket. Things that need software keep evolving, hardware gets better (requiring new software), and entirely new fields open up occasionally (think AI and Big Data analytics) that require very different software than what is already out there. Will the need continue in perpetuity? Of course not, but the prospects for the next 10 years look pretty promising.

Given the shortage of software developers, I think we're going to see of shift wherein there will be a widely recognized difference between a coder, a software developer, and a software engineer.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:41 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
As long as self driving things keep killing people and newly unemployed truck drivers could always sabotage driverless trucks, we will probably need lots of them.
That is why I said in 15 years. In 15 years, AI is likely to be extremely good.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:43 AM

9,508 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
It's a glib suggestion showing no respect for programming as an art or computer science as a science.

The EEs at work like to derisively refer to software engineers as "coders". I refer to EEs as "parts orderers" since it appears all they do is pick parts out a catalogue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies