Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 10:00 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
What I am stating is that Republicans, especially evangelicals hate Mormons. They consider them a cult. Anyone spending time in the Bible Belt knows that. I am not bigoted. I am commenting on a bigotry in the right wing.
Republicans and Evangelicals are not synonymous. You are purposefully conflating the two in order to make a dishonest statement about Republicans hating one of the most reliable Republican voting blocks. It just isn't so. Most conservatives don't hate model conservative communities of any stripe.

What we were speaking about, in fact, was not Mormons but our distaste for Romney. You chose to imply that a distaste for Romney is a distaste for Mormons. That's bigoted, because Mormons are far from universally politically congruent with and approving of Romney's politics.

Either way, and however you want to interpret my criticism, what remains is a dishonest attempt to poison the Well from the other side of the isle. No conservative Mormon nor conservative non-Mormon would take well to you if you were attempting such a thing in a town hall environment, face to face. Such well poisoning finds most of its courage in anonymous forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 10:03 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Republicans and Evangelicals are not synonymous. You are purposefully conflating the two in order to make a dishonest statement about Republicans hating one of the most reliable Republican voting blocks. It just isn't so. Most conservatives don't hate model conservative communities of any stripe.

What we were speaking about, in fact, was not Mormons but our distaste for Romney. You chose to imply that a distaste for Romney is a distaste for Mormons. That's bigoted, because Mormons are far from universally politically congruent with and approving of Romney's politics.

Either way, and however you want to interpret my criticism, what remains is a dishonest attempt to poison the Well from the other side of the isle. No conservative Mormon nor conservative non-Mormon would take well to you if you were attempting such a thing in a town hall environment, face to face. Such well poisoning finds most of its courage in anonymous forums.
Doid trump go to liberty university to get Jerry juniors blessing? Yes. The republicans and evangelicals are seriously intertwined. Without the evangelical vote trump loses.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Doid trump go to liberty university to get Jerry juniors blessing? Yes. The republicans and evangelicals are seriously intertwined. Without the evangelical vote trump loses.
I hope that you don't mistake your attempt at a point for successfully equating Republicans with Evangelicals.

Even removing the facts, the simple structure of your argument is ridiculously bad.

ie: Just because Evangelicals are Republicans, does not mean that Republicans are Evangelicals.

This is basic eighth grade syllogism.

Why do I have to explain the simplest of logic on a forum of supposedly mature adults?

Without a variety of minority groups any candidate loses. That's how this nation's voting pans out. Neither all all Democrats Black.

You are a shockingly unsuccessful well poisoner with bad logic.

Aren't you embarrassed at large intellectual failure in your attempt to equate the two groups in question?

You should be. I haven't read such obviously bad logic like that in a long time.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
I hope that you don't mistake your attempt at a point for successfully equating Republicans with Evangelicals.

Even removing the facts, the simple structure of your argument is ridiculously bad.

ie: Just because Evangelicals are Republicans, does not mean that Republicans are Evangelicals.

This is basic eighth grade syllogism.

Why do I have to explain the simplest of logic on a forum of supposedly mature adults?

Without a variety of minority groups any candidate loses. That's how this nation's voting pans out. Neither all all Democrats Black.

You are a shockingly unsuccessful well poisoner with bad logic.

Aren't you embarrassed at large intellectual failure in your attempt to equate the two groups in question?

You should be. I haven't read such obviously bad logic like that in a long time.
Did I say all republicans are evangelicals
. No, what I said is that republicans need both the Mormon and evangelical vote to succeed and that those two groups are opposed. Is that clear enough?
Damn you would think republicans knew their own base.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Did I say all republicans are evangelicals
. No, what I said is that republicans need both the Mormon and evangelical vote to succeed and that those two groups are opposed. Is that clear enough?
Damn you would think republicans knew their own base.
I could go back and list very specifically what you said, but I'm tired and this convo isn't worth it. If you reply again I suppose that I will do that, no problem. I offer we let the convo record stand here and we retire this specific debate. Its going in circles, we disagree on what was said, but the reward of this particular debate is too small to pursue it further in my estimation.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:34 PM

Great. You love Romney then

Old 06-07-2020, 10:36 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
It's hard to take Mittens seriously. He'll come out and be all contentious and say he won't support Trump, but he's right there sucking up to the president when he needs his endorsement.

I think Romney is still all butt-hurt from not being picked for a cabinet post or ambassadorship. This is just his version of Revenge of the Nerds.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:21 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Republicans hate Mormons. When will Mormons get a clue.
That's so funny! Approximately 85% of all Mormons are Republicans. What you really mean to say is that Evangelical Christians hate Mormons.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:50 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
I wonder if the Dems threatened Romney's family. They either blackmail or threaten.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:13 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
While most Republicans fear to criticize Trump, Romney tells Trump to stop spreading a debunked story about Joe Scarborough murdering an aide.

The aide's widower is deeply hurt by Trump's attacks using his dead wife to hit at Scarborough.

An autopsy proved that she had a health issue and Joe Scarborough wasn't even within hundred miles that day.

It is callous for Trump to make such attacks knowing that the victim's family doesn't want it.

Romney is a gentleman, with a backbone and a conscience to be one of the few to stand up to a bully in his own party.

Have some empathy Trump.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp
Romney gutted his share of US manufacturing and sent the jobs to China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies