Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 03:22 PM

25,656 posts, read 12,750,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
If it's such a wonderful gig and you're such a genius, why don't you go work there and make them more productive instead of whining about it?
Never said it was a wonerful gig. It is wonderful not working & still being paid, but that is a short-term thing. I'd have cut pay by 1/2 for all federal workers not working. As it is now, there's no incentive for the feds to open things back up, and go back to work. Bad call there.

I never said I was a genius, but my IQ is well above average, and I've been tested as top 1% for problem solving by standardized tests. I have 2 patents, 1 company, an MBA, & retired <60...I'm smart enough to know the federal government is grossly over-bloated, over-paid, & corrupt.

I'm retired, don't work unless I feel like it, and the Federal Gov't is the last place I'd want to work, unless I had the authority to make massive cuts. In that case, I'd work for free. I'd make them 100% more productive.

I'll stop whining when everyone pays as much taxes as I've paid, and continue to pay. I'm sick and tired of paying for parasites who pay little, or nothing. I've had it with all the takers, and their gov't facilitators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, it was our governor that determined the list of essential workers. As for public employee "productivity", the police and firefighter that protect you, the airport that you use to travel, the teachers that taught you and your children, the port that handles much of what you buy, and the workers that maintain your streets are all government employees.

I agree that there are many bureaucrats (especially federal) that do little or nothing productive, but you shouldn't paint all government workers with the same broad brush.
Teachers & all public school workers should not be paid in full for what they've been doing....little, or nothing. There was no incentive for the schools to re-open when millions were being paid in full to not work.

Police and firefighters, agreed, they are still working though.

Airports...flights are dramitically reduced so pay should be too.

Any government worker not working needs a significant pay reduction (50%). having government workers being able to decide to not work but still get paid is a conflict of interest.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:34 PM

989 posts, read 455,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Teachers & all public school workers should not be paid in full for what they've been doing....little, or nothing. There was no incentive for the schools to re-open when millions were being paid in full to not work.

Airports...flights are dramitically reduced so pay should be too.

Any government worker not working needs a significant pay reduction (50%). having government workers being able to decide to not work but still get paid is a conflict of interest.
While I'm not familiar with what is going on with state workers (although I've heard they've been laid off in various areas), I am not aware of any federal workers who are out of a job to do but still getting paid.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
We could outsource our military protection to China. We sent our industrial base to China, so why not our military? We could also raise the Boomer retirement age to 90 so they can’t get Social Security until then. We could also eliminate Medicare and make the elderly buy their own health insurance. Those three policies would greatly reduce federal spending.
I'd cut ALL of federal gov't headcount and budgets by 5%/year across the board for 5 years, and then re-assess. I'd like to cut headcount by 50% all at once, but too many would see that as too severe to go along.

The incremental approach is what will eventually be implemented, but I'm saying start it now.

The bottom 99% just got ripped off for $3T, and they don't even realize it. I've explained it several times here, so won't do it again. Do the math, $1,200 x each elegible American = ~16% of $3T. They kept 84%!

Old 05-28-2020, 03:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,537 posts, read 81,025,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Airports...flights are dramatically reduced so pay should be too.

It's actually an illegal gift of public funds in most states, but then I am not aware of anyone being paid by local government to not work. I don't know if the federal government has a similar law, but it seems unlikely, since the "pork" in their bills is nothing more than a gift of public funds.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:05 PM

Here's what they did last time there was a gov't shutdown:

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/gover...ment-shutdown/

The feds paid all their people 100% of their lost wages dueing the shutdown...so it was just deferred not lost. $4.3B last time.

The same will happen this time. They don't want to do it during the sutdown and cause riots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies