Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 03:52 PM

25,458 posts, read 12,580,588 times

Advertisements

And, government workers telling the private sector who is essential and who is not.

Can you see now why I'm 1/2 Libertarian? The less gov't workers the better.

They add NOTHING to GDP, they are parasites. They shrink the pie, they dont grow the pie.

We need a huge downsizing of the federal government. We could cut it by 1/2 & it would be business as usual. The private sector does it all the time, & now its the Feds turn to slash jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 04:27 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,044,047 times
You sure about that? That's going to hit Dept of Veteran's Affairs, Army, Navy, DHS, and Air Force hardest, in that order.

https://www.opm.gov/FAQs/QA.aspx?fid...c-6e74063441ba

Old 05-27-2020, 04:37 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,264,750 times
If it's such a wonderful gig and you're such a genius, why don't you go work there and make them more productive instead of whining about it?

Old 05-27-2020, 05:55 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,328,860 times
Funny. When I transitioned into civil service, things were good and getting better, and people were telling me I was an idiot to give up "all that money" in the private sector.

The fundamental trade Feds on the higher end of the GS scale make is MUCH less money during the good times for security and steady pay during the bad times.

OP's post reads like sour grapes. He wasn't willing to go that direction and now wants people who were to suffer, also.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:46 PM

8,284 posts, read 6,366,578 times
No goverment worker will miss a paycheck.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:58 PM

14,176 posts, read 4,539,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
And, government workers telling the private sector who is essential and who is not.

They add NOTHING to GDP, they are parasites. They shrink the pie, they dont grow the pie.

We need a huge downsizing of the federal government. We could cut it by 1/2 & it would be business as usual. The private sector does it all the time, & now its the Feds turn to slash jobs.
Your post makes no sense.

I am a federal government employee and I don’t dictate who is essential and who is not.

You might want to take that up to your state governor or your local elected official.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:58 PM

31,949 posts, read 14,955,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
No goverment worker will miss a paycheck.
Nope, just as congress won't miss a paycheck.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:35 PM

18,461 posts, read 9,106,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

We could outsource our military protection to China. We sent our industrial base to China, so why not our military? We could also raise the Boomer retirement age to 90 so they can’t get Social Security until then. We could also eliminate Medicare and make the elderly buy their own health insurance. Those three policies would greatly reduce federal spending.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,340 posts, read 80,658,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Your post makes no sense.

I am a federal government employee and I don’t dictate who is essential and who is not.

You might want to take that up to your state governor or your local elected official.
Yes, it was our governor that determined the list of essential workers. As for public employee "productivity", the police and firefighter that protect you, the airport that you use to travel, the teachers that taught you and your children, the port that handles much of what you buy, and the workers that maintain your streets are all government employees.

I agree that there are many bureaucrats (especially federal) that do little or nothing productive, but you shouldn't paint all government workers with the same broad brush.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:57 PM

989 posts, read 453,561 times
Federal worker here for one of the branches of the military. Last I checked (today), all branches of the military were still fully operational--in fact more operational than usual due to all of this, and it takes a backbone of civilian feds to support our heroes in the military and keep the ships sailing, tanks rolling, and planes flying. Government workers are still working keeping the infrastructure and security going. Guess that should all be cut? If you have a job that doesn't really need to be there to keep the world safe, such as a waiter, hairstylist, etc., why are you getting mad at the folks who do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies