Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 05:36 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Liberals: Listen to your government, they care. Its for your safety.

Also liberals: OMG why are police so racist and killing people of color?
I wouldn't identify myself as totally liberal, but I lean more that way than anything resembling today's conservative.

As far as listening to government, I certainly would listen to the public health experts who have years of rigorous training at prestigious medical schools, years of clinical research and experience, and often published peer reviewed studies on subject matter under their belt, whether they're in the government or private sector.

Who I won't listen to are mentally unstable government goons and their apologists who have long, repeated histories of spreading disinformation about things they have no background or credibility in expressing.

As far as your second point, while it's really off-topic, the incidents of the handful of very rogue police officers killing suspects when it's very clear there was no justified self defense reason for doing so does deeply concern me, as it should anyone with a strong sense of right and wrong.

Last edited by Jowel; 05-29-2020 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 06:01 AM

339 posts, read 127,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The Potus and VP repeatedly seen not wearing face masks, even when they were in places that would require a regular person to do so.

And Trump just attacked Biden for wearing a mask in a public place.

There are hoards of right-wingers saying they will never put on masks.

WTF? Folks, is there people who still don't know we're in a pandemic? Masks save lives. Trump's own government guideline said to wear masks.

I don't get it. All this resistance because... masks are liberal conspiracy to make the population look dorky?? What is it?

Why try to make this a Left or Right issue. I know many on both sides that share similar opinion. I personally do not mind wearing a mask. It has some benefits, like not having to shave everyday.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:30 AM

22 posts, read 6,338 times
I'm not on the right or the left but wearing a mask, especially outdoors, has become a form of virtue signalling. "Look at ME and how socially responsible I am". From what I understand, the virus spreads most successfully in close contact with repeated exposure, such as in nursing homes or among families.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:34 AM

5,110 posts, read 2,050,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standardIssue8989 View Post
I'm not on the right or the left but wearing a mask, especially outdoors, has become a form of virtue signalling. "Look at ME and how socially responsible I am". From what I understand, the virus spreads most successfully in close contact with repeated exposure, such as in nursing homes or among families.
And not only virtue signalling but it could also be a fetish from some of the fanarts I saw on websites like Deviantart.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:42 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,390,775 times
I wear a mask at work and shopping. I will NOT wear one outdoors.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:16 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I guarantee you would sell your car tomorrow if there was a 2% chance you'd die in it. Either you're trying to play on people's misunderstanding of risk or you don't understand it yourself. A 2% mortality rate is terrifying, no matter the context.
The risk of one dying either as a driver or passenger in a moving vehicle is a heck of a lot higher than 2%. Driving/being driven is one of the most dangerous things we do. Yet we do it every day. Without thinking twice about it.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:23 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
The vast majority of people that are dying are in NURSING HOMES, are old, already dying of other ailments and have health issues. To apply that 2% or whatever death rate to the General Populace is PURE PROPAGANDA by the Left and idiotic.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:34 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
I just have to say, I think it's ridiculous and infuriating when people say that wearing masks is "virtue signaling." It's like one person declared masks to be "virtue signaling" and other little mask haters lined up to start repeating it. Come up with a new attack ok? I don't care if the mask makes me look silly, like a social justice warrior, or like the Lone Ranger. I absolutely believe it is the wise and safe thing to do.

Here in the USVI, masks are required inside every building except personal homes, and outside if you are in a group of people not from your own household. Other states have made masks mandatory as well. So we are all virtue signaling to each other?

Everyone I've talked to is damn glad that when tourists are allowed back onto our island June 1, they will have to wear masks. Last thing we need is a big Covid spike with people coming here from everywhere. And before you think tourists won't come here due to our mask mandate, I'll tell you, the planes on June 1 are full.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:54 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The vast majority of people that are dying are in NURSING HOMES, are old, already dying of other ailments and have health issues. To apply that 2% or whatever death rate to the General Populace is PURE PROPAGANDA by the Left and idiotic.
The "vast majority" of Covid deaths are not in what I would call "old" people. (I don't consider someone who dies in their 40s to early 70s to have died at an old age.) Yes, other health issues are often a factor, but a heckuva lot of people in our country do have other health issues (obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc). Just because someone had other health issues doesn't mean they were at death's door. They may have lived 30, 40, or more years if they hadn't contracted Covid.

If you're lucky enough to be what you think of as "young" (Under 30? Under 40?) and you are in excellent health, yay! Enjoy it while you can. But show some compassion for the many, many people for whom that young, healthy time of life is in the rearview mirror. You will get there too.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:04 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Leave it to a raging leftist liberal to politicize something as simple as wearing a mask. That's about as moronic as it gets, but it's to be expected these days.

Promoting their agenda is the only thing that matters to them.
This is some major irony right here.

You sound pretty "raging" yourself. And you definitely seem to possess an agenda.

I'm a "leftist," and I absolutely question the efficacy of most masks in many situations. Other than N-95 masks or maybe well-fitted surgical masks worn only once, I'm pretty skeptical about them.

I wear one in public, however, for a) immediately practical purposes: I won't be able to enter many businesses without one; b) uncertainty. They may or may not be effective, so I choose to err on the side of caution; and; c) adherence to societal expectation in terms of individual and public health concerns.

Here's another example: I remain undecided as to the safety of many vaccines (my daughter had a scary physiological reaction as a 2-month-old infant to her first set of vaccinations), but, regardless, I chose to vaccinate all 3 of my children when they were young, though I'm not entirely comfortable with that decision.

Why? Because I'm not a medical or public health professional, and, rightly or wrongly, I deferred to public and medical expectation (i.e: my physician cousin insisted that I continue with vaccinations).

Having said all of that, though, I believe masks are pointless as long as we allow tens of millions of Americans to be without insurance and, therefore, also without access to basic healthcare. In the American context, masks are little more than a bandaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies