Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 08:57 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

That is strange all the righties I know here wear masks -it’s the dems assaulting grocery clerks over the mask thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 06:11 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
It’s certainly not Trumps base who are rioting everywhere abd not “social dustancing”
Oh, so you’ve been on the scene in all cities and interviewed all of the rioter / looters regarding why they are expressing themselves thru violence, just as Trump followers have traditionally done?

Old 05-31-2020, 09:03 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Most Americans are not very intelligent and poorly educated; they are simply incapable of researching topics such as the efficacy of masks in stopping the spread of COVID19, let alone weeding out illogical & politically motivated bad advice. Consequently, they rely on the media to tell them what to do.

The problem is that a significant number of government medical experts have advised people not to wear masks, and told them that wearing masks might even be counter-productive https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...pert-says.aspx. We can thank the U.S. Surgeon General, the WHO, and the CDC for not only failing to do their jobs in minimizing the spread of the pandemic, but also for telling Americans that facemasks are useless or worse. Although this advice is medically absurd, and motivated by the misguided fear that if the American public buys masks it will mean that front-line medical workers won't have them, the lack of consistent & correct medical advice has given anyone who doesn't want to wear a mask full justification for not doing so. https://time.com/5794729/coronavirus-face-masks/

Of course, educated people will ask themselves why health care workers would need masks, if they are useless or counter-productive. They would read the justifications given for masks being a bad idea, and find that these reasons (wearing the mask incorrectly, or getting a "false sense of security") are in no way legitimate reasons to not wear a mask when in public. The fact remains that wearing a face mask will protect you from getting COVID19 in the vast majority of cases: "Experiments by a team in Hong Kong found that the coronavirus’ transmission rate via respiratory droplets or airborne particles dropped by as much as 75% when surgical masks were used." https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/19/coro...dy-claims.html Even more important, if a significant majority of Americans would wear masks in public, we could wipe out the pandemic in a few short weeks instead of suffering through years of economic devastation.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:22 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I will say that despite some of the extreme viewpoints on this forum and elsewhere online, I do there are some conservative Republicans who do listen to public health experts and heed their advice about wearing masks. This includes people that I am friends with, and business colleagues who I respect. Some of these folks are even urging others to heed this advice.

On the political front, I would have a difference of opinion with them more often than not if we were to discuss politics (which usually doesn't happen anyway). But I have even more respect now (I respected them before) for these people who aren't putting their partisan ideology ahead of the country getting back to being healthier and happier. I can't say the same for some of the fringe viewpoints that seem to be very vocal online, including on this forum and including some of the people at the top of the partisan food chain, but that doesn't represent everyone.
I have to update my previous post by saying that just in the last day I have become aware of a couple of Republicans in my personal world (business acquaintances, extended family) who are being resistant to wearing a mask in public (one for the very bizarre reason that they think it's the government trying to make people convert to Islam), but those are the people who I've found to have odd and illogical reasoning about other things, and very easily indoctrinated with weird and inaccurate political propaganda, as well. So those people are walking among us.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:02 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,323 times
I'm not sure if it is a left/right thing in reality. I do think that online, there have been right-wing people spewing conspiracy theories and calling the virus a hoax. Some have made a point of not wearing a mask as some sort of political statement. However, in the real world, where I live, most of the people I see out and about, or at the grocery store, that do not wear masks tend to be young people and people of color. Especially here in Portland, neither of those groups tend to be conservative, right wing, or Trump voters. I'm not sure how it is in other places, but I just think a percentage of the population just won't wear masks, and for many of them, it's not political at all.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:06 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I've said this numerous times.....If you test positive for CV-19 and on your way home to self quarantine and you're killed in a car accident, it's a CV-19 death.....

Even colorado figured it out....

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/new...ed/5198485002/

Yep! Everybody knows this.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:22 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I saw a photo earlier of a Trump press conference in the rose garden. NONE of the press people were wearing a mask. The left wingers will never post that picture.

I hate wearing a mask, but I would hate being sick even more.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:44 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
...in the real world, where I live, most of the people I see out and about, or at the grocery store, that do not wear masks tend to be young people and people of color. Especially here in Portland, neither of those groups tend to be conservative, right wing, or Trump voters. I'm not sure how it is in other places, but I just think a percentage of the population just won't wear masks, and for many of them, it's not political at all.
One conjecture is that the older or more-established people don't wish to incur legal consequences, or to sully their reputations or social standing. They acquiesce to wearing masks, not because they believe in masks' efficacy, or from some feeling of partaking in a web of mutual deference, but because they don't wish the hassle or the confrontation. In a similar way, I wear my seat-belt when driving or riding in a car, not because I believe in the cost/benefit trade of seatbelts (real behind-the-wheel safety begins with a 5-point harness, a helmet and a roll-cage... but don't get me started!), but because I don't wish to get a ticket.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:49 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
That is strange all the righties I know here wear masks -it’s the dems assaulting grocery clerks over the mask thing
Must live in a strange land.

As all the righties here - don't wear masks. As it is a deep state Democrat plot.

The whole coronavirus is a made up Democrat plot against Trump. Therefore no masks from the righties.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:51 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Dems assaulting store clerks and attacking people in the streets whilst not wearing masks and burning things together....it's really about 100% Lefties not wearing masks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies