Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 05:43 AM

6,135 posts, read 4,622,919 times

Advertisements

I will say that despite some of the extreme viewpoints on this forum and elsewhere online, I do there are some conservative Republicans who do listen to public health experts and heed their advice about wearing masks. This includes people that I am friends with, and business colleagues who I respect. Some of these folks are even urging others to heed this advice.

On the political front, I would have a difference of opinion with them more often than not if we were to discuss politics (which usually doesn't happen anyway). But I have even more respect now (I respected them before) for these people who aren't putting their partisan ideology ahead of the country getting back to being healthier and happier. I can't say the same for some of the fringe viewpoints that seem to be very vocal online, including on this forum and including some of the people at the top of the partisan food chain, but that doesn't represent everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2020, 06:57 AM

6,482 posts, read 6,693,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The Loony Left's collective heads are exploding because they are slamming the President for not wearing a mask and withdrawing funds from the WHO, but the WHO said today that masks are useless unless you are a medical professional
I have not read that statement from WHO, but think about it. How can it make any sense that a mask can protect a medical professional but no one else?? You have surely taken something out of context or misunderstood.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:01 AM

6,482 posts, read 6,693,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
None among us is entirely free of issues, whether of mind or body, of disposition or character. None of us is infinite, immune, or otherwise elected. And none of us is irreplaceable. And yet, and yet, the tragedy of any one of us "shuffling off this mortal coil", is not exactly equal. The point, is that who dies, matters just as much as how many die. The point, is that what's lost by this particular person, or that particular person dying just now, instead of at some indeterminate future, varies in magnitude of loss, in proportion to the distance between the now, and this future.

If a falling tree collapses the roof of a poorly built house, or one so aged that it's half-condemned, the loss isn't nearly as painful or acute, as if the house were fresh and sturdy. Yes, regardless of the case, the occupants lose their house. The house has fallen. No such event of a falling-tree, is to be greeted with blithe dismissal. And yet, and yet, the grief is not the same. That is the point.
Again, this has nothing to do with masks. If you want to argue that some people are more worthy of living than others, that's an entirely different philosophical debate. Surely you are not saying that those who are high risk (older or have other health conditions) are not worth the few bucks it would cost you to put on a mask to help protect them, are you?

Old 05-30-2020, 07:01 AM

34,254 posts, read 18,620,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstyfi View Post
This isn't true. So what if they have health issues. They aren't about to die from diabetes, asthma, or high blood pressure. What's your point? These people don't count? The majority of these people are between the ages of 30 and 65, which are people still working and can't stay home. So what is your point?
My point is that if you are in decent health, and not old, with other health issues you will most likely be FINE. This entire panic is a Democrat and Media driven HOAX and SCAM. No more Masks. No more lock downs. OPEN IT UP. NOW!

Old 05-30-2020, 07:08 AM

30,666 posts, read 18,290,146 times
Quote:
1% of a population is millions. Covid is still 10x deadlier than Influenza.
Except that it's not, though. Random antibodies testing are giving us a much better idea of covid's true death rate.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:11 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,579,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
This entire panic is a Democrat and Media driven HOAX and SCAM.
Please explain for our studio audience and all the folks watching at home, how those clever, all-powerful Dems have gotten more than 100 nations across the globe to go along with this HOAX you speak of.

Quote:
No more Masks. No more lock downs. OPEN IT UP. NOW!
Based on who's advice?

Old 05-30-2020, 07:16 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,553,914 times
Quote:
Um yes death toll is now over 102,0000 and cases are still rising in 17 states and probably will be more cases after these riots(though I have seen most were masked up).

https://www.dailywire.com/news/watch...-counting-that

Old 05-30-2020, 07:44 AM

46,328 posts, read 27,162,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post

I've said this numerous times.....If you test positive for CV-19 and on your way home to self quarantine and you're killed in a car accident, it's a CV-19 death.....

Even colorado figured it out....

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/new...ed/5198485002/

Old 05-30-2020, 08:35 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,812,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Do you weaR a mask everywhere? Even just walking outside?
Yes I do. Here's why. Entitled rectum joggers that run right up to you huffing and puffing. I had one run into me and neither of us had a mask on. It was early on in the pandemic, Easter to be exact, and there wasn't that many cases in our village. Did I worry about it? Yes. We are in Cook County in the hot zone. It's not just joggers, but idiot bikers riding on side walks. You have to watch behind you all the time and that's hard. Covid is still spreading in our village.
Two days ago I was in Chicago at a hospital for my pre tests for surgery on June 18th. This surgery has been delayed for 3 months because of Covid. I am not priority because I don't have a cancer diagnosis. I can't get a cancer diagnosis until the hysterectomy is done and tissue sent off to pathology. There is a 40% chance that there is cancer.

Here's the thing. Had we all worn masks and practiced social distancing from day one back in January, we would not be in this mess today. Why do you think health care workers have a lower infection rate than Joe average in public? It's because of the PPE, which includes masks.

I had my mask on outside of the hospital because I had to wait for my husband to come and pick me up. It's in a sketchy neighborhood and there was a whole lot of people walking around without masks on. I had to stand in the dirt alongside the building to get a safe distance away. Had I not had a mask on? I would have felt very vulnerable. I have to pass a Covid test on June 16th and promise not to go anywhere until the surgery, even with a mask on, if the test is clean. I have no problem with that. Nor do I have a problem wearing a mask anywhere outside my home if it helps protect one vulnerable person. It's just the decent thing to to. I know two people who tested positive and are asymptomatic carriers. Who knows how many people they spread it too before they were diagnosed? I don't want anyone to get this because of me if I was an asymptomatic carrier.

You have to be some kind of piece of work to not care about people who are far worse off than I am because of this pandemic. You also have to be 45 degrees below stupid to believe the politics over the science and not follow the guidelines set by the real experts. Doctors and scientists. Unfortunately, there is no shortage of the idiot factor out there that still doesn't recognize bot trolls spreading this anti mask rhetoric. Tough guys carry guns and don't need masks. Right. Ridiculous.

Good for you if you live in an area that has a low Covid infection rate. I'm happy for you, but here, masks are mandatory in all public places and rightfully so.

I am not going to risk catching this bug and if I have to be "hospital clean" not to? So be it. Wearing a mask is nothing. I can not imagine abdominal surgery with a Covid cough. Kill me now because that just might.

Old 05-30-2020, 08:56 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,111,806 times
The same people who hyperventilated like the world was going to end if we went outside have suddenly dropped that concern since the riots began.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies