Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 01:59 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,070,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
might is right. Do US really have to pay back this debt to anyone? Can anyone compel and force US to pay it's debt to anyone? lol Think about it.
Most debt is owed to Americans like already underfunded state and city pensions, Americans who have bond funds in their 401Ks and IRAs, the military pension, Social Security, etc.

This is real debt owed to real Americans.

Moreover if we don't pay the money back we can kiss our credit rating goodbye. Hello Venezuela.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 10:33 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

America is in trouble financially. Trump wanted to reduce the Federal Gov. but the Democrats want to expand the cost with universal healthcare, Free tuition, Reparations, The Green New Deal and keeping their favorite pets well housed and fed with taxpayer dollars, the Illegal Aliens.

?
Nothing was implemented. All that happened was borrowing more from the Fed.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:05 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Most of us don't know that the current value of the Federal assets is roughly 250 trillion dollars in lands, mineral rights and buildings. The Fed can sell off any part of this to private developers and go into the black anytime they want.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:09 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Most of us don't know that the current value of the Federal assets is roughly 250 trillion dollars in lands, mineral rights and buildings. The Fed can sell off any part of this to private developers and go into the black anytime they want.
It's easier to just print and steal.

Criminals (the government) shun honest means to make money.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
You are correct here but shhhhhhhhhhhh

The goal is to keep the shell game going at least until I die so that I can continue to live my stable relatively hardship free life.

Here's my plan; I'm 70 now and in fair health. What have got left, 10 years? I think the USA will hold together for now but be on a downward trajectory for the next 25 years or so and then it will crash. I will be long dead. I just pray everything holds together for another 10 years or so. In case we crash in 2 years I have 3 bottles of vodka. They are my "quick painless exit".

Old 06-02-2020, 11:55 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
I read the interest on the debt will exceed what we pay for National Defense w/in 5 years. If interest rates tick up, then it could be sooner.

If the interest rates normalized, we'd be sunk...so they won't. This helps spenders, but hurts savers & retirees. It's a hidden form of wealth redistribution

The only guys in DC who care are Paul, & Massie...the only 2 that have voted "no" to the $3.5T+ stimulus'. The rest are all stealing from us by devaluating our paper wealth w/ debt.

I'd trade a Rand Paul-Tom Massie Presidential ticket for Trump-Pence in a New York second...I'll keep dreaming.

The Debt is like the boy who cried Wolf...Americans have been hearing about it for their entire lives, so very few listen anymore.

All I can do is vote for liars & corrupt thieves (because they all are), stay totally debt-free, hide a portion of our wealth in small denominations of Silver & Gold coins, & have a small arsenal to protect it all in case, & have as much no-spoil food stored as will fit in my home. "CHECK" to all of the above.

I could decline my SS when I get old enough, but I want my $ back...with interest, so nah...

Soon, taxes will rise, & then they'll come for our retirement stash. Howso? They'll force us to convert it all into "War Bonds"-like notes. Our Pensions, IRA's, 401K's, Bank CD's, ect..

Like they've already done with our SS funds...they'll spend it, & give us IOU's, (the statement you get each 5 yrs, or each yr. if over 60) then pay out, until they can't.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:58 AM

273 posts, read 96,691 times
force China to pay their debt on century old Chinese bonds

"By paying some bondholders and not others, Beijing is technically in selective default, according to the ratings of bond-risk firms Moody’s, Standard & Poors and Fitch"

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...verage-beijing

Old 06-02-2020, 01:12 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I read the interest on the debt will exceed what we pay for National Defense w/in 5 years. If interest rates tick up, then it could be sooner.

If the interest rates normalized, we'd be sunk...so they won't. This helps spenders, but hurts savers & retirees. It's a hidden form of wealth redistribution

The only guys in DC who care are Paul, & Massie...the only 2 that have voted "no" to the $3.5T+ stimulus'. The rest are all stealing from us by devaluating our paper wealth w/ debt.

I'd trade a Rand Paul-Tom Massie Presidential ticket for Trump-Pence in a New York second...I'll keep dreaming.

The Debt is like the boy who cried Wolf...Americans have been hearing about it for their entire lives, so very few listen anymore.

All I can do is vote for liars & corrupt thieves (because they all are), stay totally debt-free, hide a portion of our wealth in small denominations of Silver & Gold coins, & have a small arsenal to protect it all in case, & have as much no-spoil food stored as will fit in my home. "CHECK" to all of the above.

I could decline my SS when I get old enough, but I want my $ back...with interest, so nah...

Soon, taxes will rise, & then they'll come for our retirement stash. Howso? They'll force us to convert it all into "War Bonds"-like notes. Our Pensions, IRA's, 401K's, Bank CD's, ect..

Like they've already done with our SS funds...they'll spend it, & give us IOU's, (the statement you get each 5 yrs, or each yr. if over 60) then pay out, until they can't.
They should have elected his dad. He spoke the truth.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well they can just keep on printing money or better yet would be to rein in spending and live within our means.

I can't imagine the mess that we are going to have to dig out of once this Corona crisis is wrapped up. My state has lost billions in revenue by shutting down services and small business some of which might never recover. How will the states make up for this shortfall? They won't be doing the same that any household would do by cutting costs, they will be hitting us with more taxes.

America is in trouble financially. Trump wanted to reduce the Federal Gov. but the Democrats want to expand the cost with universal healthcare, Free tuition, Reparations, The Green New Deal and keeping their favorite pets well housed and fed with taxpayer dollars, the Illegal Aliens.

We are heading for a cliff and no one wants to admit it or curb their spending. Now we are hearing that California and NY want Federal money to bail them out?

Once again:

The financial position of the United States includes assets of at least $269.6 trillion (1576% of GDP) and debts of $145.8 trillion (852% of GDP) to produce a net worth of at least $123.8 trillion (723% of GDP) as of Q1 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financ..._United_States

So assets: $269.6 trillion

Debts: $145.8 trillion

America is not going broke anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies