Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 02:53 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times

Advertisements

Seriously. If you or I posted half the stuff Trump posts on Twitter we'd be banned for life. They've had no compunction in banning other users for various reasons, including posting misleading information or making veiled threats. Twitter is not held to the First Amendment, it's a private company and has the right to regulate who and what they allow on their platform. It's no different than if someone posts something here that a mod doesn't feel is appropriate they can take action and whadda ya gonna do? Sue 'em? Ha-ha-ha!

But what's Trump do? Abuses his sacred Presidential powers to throw another temper tantrum (where's that "Baby Trump" balloon when ya need it?) and create an Executive Order that potentially could cause great harm to all social media. At best it will cost companies a bundle of money to fight it. He hasn't been censored. His tweets were simply flagged with a fact check no different than what Facebook does, or what we do here in self policing ourselves when someone posts something totally outrageous.

As example, I take a risk in raising the ire of fellow posters who disagree with my opinion by posting this topic. I'm not stating half-truths or misinformation, something Trump has done on many occasions. Yes, the topic is provocative and (I hope) will bring lively discussion - which is why we participate here isn't it? But if people disagree with my POV or call me a democrat (which I'm not) I'm not going to call my congressman and whine. I'll just blast you back.

From what I understand about this order, it potentially opens social media platforms up for liability regarding users posts. Ultimately it could cause platforms to exercise extreme censorship to protect their assets. The result being an exodus of users and potential failure of the service. We could potentially see the loss of controversial, but widely used forums like P&C. The end result being a flanking attack on freedom of speech and the stifiling of healthy (or even wild) idea and opinion exchanges.

IMHO Congress needs to intervene, but they have been MIA for months. A country this size cannot sustain with the giant leadership vacuum we are seeing. But the continued abuse of Presidential powers to threaten and intimidate really needs action IMHO. It is getting out of hand and now potentially OUR rights could end up under assault.

I say Twitter should call his bluff. What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 03:08 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
If they had enforced their TOS in the beginning he would have been banned in 2017 for having 2 accounts with overlapping content.

Also, you are not allowed to attack or promote violence... which he has done multiples times.

https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-an...conduct-policy

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...sot-ip-vpx.cnn

I am sure Twitter regrets not banning him back then.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:12 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,165,274 times
If you ban Trump, you need to ban hundreds of others. That Nasty, Homely Hag Kathy Griffin, who has threatened Trump..

Such salty people on the Net... It amazes me. I been threatened, called some nasty foul names and have even been stalked. I just move on and laugh. It's called having Thick skin...

But as I said - If they ban Trump, They should ban many, many others..

Old 05-28-2020, 03:14 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
If they banned Trump, they would be out of business in about 3 months.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:20 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If they banned Trump, they would be out of business in about 3 months.
Why because he would sign an EO?

They were fine well before Trump.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:29 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Why because he would sign an EO?

They were fine well before Trump.
No - because half the users of Twitter would suddenly self-quarantine themselves from Twitter.

They may not go out of business - but they would feel some pain.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:34 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
They absolutely should ban Trump, he has given them so many reasons to, the whole murder thing being a slam dunk.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:36 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
If they had enforced their TOS in the beginning he would have been banned in 2017 for having 2 accounts with overlapping content.

Also, you are not allowed to attack or promote violence... which he has done multiples times.

https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-an...conduct-policy

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...sot-ip-vpx.cnn

I am sure Twitter regrets not banning him back then.
Can you imagine how much crying the big baby would do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No - because half the users of Twitter would suddenly self-quarantine themselves from Twitter.

They may not go out of business - but they would feel some pain.
No they wouldn’t. Have they ever actually made money? They’re still going either way.

Twitter is a has been. A lot of trumps followers are probably bots. I can’t say I know anyone actively using twitter anymore.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:38 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
It's frankly bizarre for anyone in this country to believe the president should be banned expressing his political beliefs, just like everyone else.

We're supposed to value free speech by all... the powerful, and the powerless. Whether we like the speech, or not.

I realize Twitter is privately owned and understand what that means, but I also believe we may have reached a point in time where companies like Twitter and facebook are so big, they are more like utilities or platforms than forums, literally controlling the worldwide flow of information, and a different legal model needs to be worked out.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:42 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It's frankly bizarre for anyone in this country to believe the president should be banned expressing his political beliefs, just like everyone else.

We're supposed to value free speech by all... the powerful, and the powerless. Whether we like the speech, or not.

I realize Twitter is privately owned and understand what that means, but I also believe we may have reached a point in time where companies like Twitter and facebook are so big, they are more like utilities or platforms than forums, literally controlling the worldwide flow of information, and a different legal model needs to be worked out.
Then he shouldn’t be so butthurt for having is beliefs fact checked.

Fact is he’s broken the rules there multiple times.

I personally think Facebook especially is a detriment to mankind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies