Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 03:42 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,567,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, this is where I'm at. I know that I'm Black. Black American specifically. I know that relative to other ethnicities, Black Americans as a whole are doing worse than everyone else. It's always been that way.

I know that I've dealt with racism and discrimination. At the same time, I still I have to think about myself and what will affect me. I was born in wedlock, raised by BOTH parents. I never grew up in the ghetto. I've been a suburban/rural kid most of my life. Played baseball. Loved riding the bike. I was also a nerdy kid (read alot of books because I wanted to and I actually enjoyed it. I was all about getting smart).

I found myself at odds with some White kids AND some Black kids. Where I went to school (my high school was 85-90% White), there was a sizable "redneck" culture. I also went to school with many kids who were into skateboarding. I got bullied by those two types the most. Some of the rednecks didn't like Blacks and had no problem letting me know that. And then some of the Black kids looked at me as "lame", "uncool", "not Black enough". Some of the White skateboarder types bullied me for similar reasons. This wasn't Minnesota. This was Georgia.

I bring this up in light of the riots in Minneapolis. You mentioned that Blacks don't fit in well in the Germanic parts of America. I think about how I grew up. I started considering that I would likely to better in Minnesota. I'm thinking it's closer to how I am.

I have to think about me because I have to find where I fit in. I do think about me personally because. I know that I'm Black and many people see me as Black first. At the same time, I grew up struggling to fit in with certain kinds of Blacks, as well as certain kinds of Whites. I think about how I will fit in, because only I can live my life. I also think about this. During my college years I made friends among a few persons from Minnesota and Wisconsin. I got along very well with said individuals.

Oh I see.
So it's about YOU personally after all - you are looking for a place to fit in, and we are not talking about the Black community as a whole.

In this case I would say yes, give it a try, and I would still advise Minneapolis VS smaller places.
If you already met ppl from Wisconsin and Minnesota, and they were more to your liking, then it's yet another indicator, because I think in these states, when people *click* interracially, ( if they ever do,) the ties are more genuine and meaningful.

And since all these conversations are coming in the context of the recent event - I've looked into George Floyd criminal background back in Texas; he was involved in the armed robbery among other things.

He broke into woman's house, threatened her with a weapon and searched her house for drugs and money.
With that being said however, he could have raped and killed that woman, but he didn't; he never overstepped the boundary that separates man from beast.
And TO ME ( to me personally at least,) this is very telling.
The way I see it, is that he had certain redeeming qualities, and that he definitely deserved another chance elsewhere, other than American South.

I think people around him in Minneapolis saw these qualities too; his girl-friend of three years ( White) is in tears, one of his former employers could hardly hold tears back when talking about him - so the ties were genuine.

So if you will be able to "click" with the locals, more power to you.

Just be aware that Somali community is a thing of its own; that's yet "another culture within a culture."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 03:45 PM

234 posts, read 90,176 times
Quote:
Black Americans, as a group, are dealing with mistreatment all over America. It doesn't matter if it's a blue state or a red state. This is still taking into account that the Black middle class has grown considerably since the 1960s. Even with the progress being made, Black Americans, relative to other groups, still are doing worse than everyone else (besides Native Americans). Right now Black Americans are playing catch up. Those who have succeeded are doing alright. Those who remain in the inner city ghettos and other poor communities are doing even worse.

Consider this. Oklahoma has one of the worst Black homicide rates in the USA. Most of those homicides take place in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. Oklahoma has the highest incarceration rate in America. Oklahoma Blacks have a higher rate of incarceration than most other states, competing with Wisconsin.
Black incarceration rate in OK: 2,625 per 100,000
Black incarceration rate in WI: 2,542 per 100,000

Two states, one known for the Progressive Movement, and the other as red a can be. Both have similar indexes as far as Blacks ranking badly in terms of incarceration and homicide. What's ironic about Oklahoma is that several towns in Oklahoma have been founded by Black people. Oklahoma is home to the westernmost HBCU in America, Langston University, located in Langston, one of the Black-founded towns from the Land Rush of 1889. Of course, the Tulsa race riot of 1921 occurred in Oklahoma too.

1 in 15 Black males are in prison in Oklahoma. Only Vermont is worse (1 in 14). In New Mexico next door, 1 in 37 Black males are in prison, among the lowest rates in the country (the average for America is 1 in 26).

My point? It doesn't really matter which political party is in charge. Black Americans, relative to other groups, are finishing at the bottom in most places.
How do you interpret statistics an how many control factors have you put in place however? What is the white incarceration and murder rates in OKC compared to blacks in OKC and in particular what are the rates for both races from similar an different socioeconomic backgrounds in particular? What is the criminal culture like? Speaking of which I wouldn't expect NM to have anywhere near the black incarceration or murder rate as OK for a multitude of reasons.

Athough NM has ghettos like OK what makes it different is almost all of them are actually barrios. Mexican American gang controlled ghettos an there is no hope for black gangbangers there like OK. Those cholos are too deep outnumber you too much an they are vicious. Go ahead an try an establish a crip gang there an the surenos will wipe the floor with you. No real established gang controlled black ghettos there unlike OK. No neighborhoods filled with black children being raised by single mothers in poverty that are filled with black gangbangers those children want to come up an become. These are the conditions that lead to high incarceration an murder rates cause at least 70% of prison inmates, killers an murder victims regardless of race were raised in those conditions. OK has black gangs that control entire neighborhoods that have been at war amongst themselves an with Mexican gangs sense the 80s. NM has no such culture an that culture produces almost the entire incarcerated population an murder statistics in the United States regardless of race.

You can just look at one stat an form an opinion or go deeper into those stats, compare them with others an study the culture that produced them.

Last edited by Cheeriochapgovna; 05-29-2020 at 03:54 PM..

Old 05-29-2020, 03:47 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Brody View Post
You be wrong on that. Democrats invented & OWN racism. Pure and simple.

In your twisted mind.
Probably so.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:32 PM

10,479 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
The highest rates of violence are in liberal cities.
And some of the safest cities are liberal run as well. But, you will have to do a demographic research to find out why. The poorest neighborhoods are liberal as well as the richest. And the conservative is born because they either get tired of the crime in the poor neighborhoods or tired of the ever raising taxes in the rich neighborhoods as well as the costs of housing, food and transportation.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:38 PM

10,479 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The true racists are now being exposed...Liberals. If you dont see it then "you ain't Black!"

Joe Biden's moment of transparency will become the turning point for Blacks in America. They will start leaving the Dems in Nov.
No they won't. I see it all over my FB page, the Black people I know that are democrat still plan on voting for Biden, and instead are actually using this shooting to attack Trump, and sadly all white people right now.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:43 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeriochapgovna View Post
How do you interpret statistics an how many control factors have you put in place however? What is the white incarceration and murder rates in OKC compared to blacks in OKC and in particular what are the rates for both races from similar an different socioeconomic backgrounds in particular? What is the criminal culture like? Speaking of which I wouldn't expect NM to have anywhere near the black incarceration or murder rate as OK for a multitude of reasons.

Athough NM has ghettos like OK what makes it different is almost all of them are actually barrios. Mexican American gang controlled ghettos an there is no hope for black gangbangers there like OK. Those cholos are too deep outnumber you too much an they are vicious. Go ahead an try an establish a crip gang there an the surenos will wipe the floor with you. No real established gang controlled black ghettos there unlike OK. No neighborhoods filled with black children being raised by single mothers in poverty that are filled with black gangbangers those children want to come up an become. These are the conditions that lead to high incarceration an murder rates cause at least 70% of prison inmates, killers an murder victims regardless of race were raised in those conditions. OK has black gangs that control entire neighborhoods that have been at war amongst themselves an with Mexican gangs sense the 80s. NM has no such culture an that culture produces almost the entire incarcerated population an murder statistics in the United States regardless of race.

You can just look at one stat an form an opinion or go deeper into those stats, compare them with others an study the culture that produced them.
I don't know what the White murder rate is in Oklahoma. However, I do know that for years, the Black murder rate has been in the top 10 in the country. And Nebraska has appeared in the top 10 for Black homicide rates several times. Once Nebraska ranked #1 in the country for Black homcide rates. Red states, Republican cities, and Blacks aren't doing very well. I understand there is more to it than meets the eye. That is the whole point. I want more people to think about this more critically.

New Mexico is a place I've considered living in. Crime is kind of high though. I know about the barrios and I don't think Black people want to deal with gangs in the barrios. And OKC isn't the only place where Black and Mexican gangs war against each other. The same might be going on in Texas. There is one thing I want to mention. I wonder how much of New Mexico's Black population consists of individuals in the military.

And I bring this up vis a vis the riot in Minneapolis. People want to say "the blue states are the real racist states". I disagree with that.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:56 AM

234 posts, read 90,176 times
Quote:
I don't know what the White murder rate is in Oklahoma. However, I do know that for years, the Black murder rate has been in the top 10 in the country. And Nebraska has appeared in the top 10 for Black homicide rates several times. Once Nebraska ranked #1 in the country for Black homcide rates. Red states, Republican cities, and Blacks aren't doing very well. I understand there is more to it than meets the eye. That is the whole point. I want more people to think about this more critically.

New Mexico is a place I've considered living in. Crime is kind of high though. I know about the barrios and I don't think Black people want to deal with gangs in the barrios. And OKC isn't the only place where Black and Mexican gangs war against each other. The same might be going on in Texas. There is one thing I want to mention. I wonder how much of New Mexico's Black population consists of individuals in the military.

And I bring this up vis a vis the riot in Minneapolis. People want to say "the blue states are the real racist states". I disagree with that.
I like that you mentioned Omaha. Omaha is one of the last places in America that banged on colors. In Omaha there was not too much set tripping or banging on hoods it was mostly colors. a guy from Chicago who grew up in chi but then moved to Nebraska told me he thought omaha was more dangerous then Chicago. He explained it to me in Chicago it's now alot of set tripping. certain gangs an hoods at war with each other. In Omaha it was banging on colors guys getting murdered for wearing a certain color t shirt.

That's not a native Nebraska culture though that came from California. For some reason that city was one of the last to embody an emulate that late 80s California gangbanging culture. that is why imo the murder rate was so high. The whole country was affected by the migration of California gangsters leaving their home state an flooding communities with drugs while preaching their message of killing someone for wearing a certain colot tshirt but for some reason Nebraska experienced it later then others an it was very intense, probably still is.

Both Oklahoma an Nebraska's murder rates an incarceration rates are skewed by the migration of west coast gangsters to that area in the 80s and 90s who introduced shooting someone for wearing a certain color shirt gangbanging an flooding your own community with narcotics in those places an with the help of the media made it cool an generational.

You see a similar dynamic is Texas. Currently active white criminal gangs in Texas are all originally from California an either migrated or offshooted out there. Now are these gangs that produce incarceration and murder statistics an example of that state producing that culture or not? That's up for debate

I enjoy engaging an sparring with you dude. Who knows who is really right but it's a good match. This a discussion that we are having most people can't engage in without resorting to insults but we made it this far. Good stuff man.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:58 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Dem Governor, Senators, State House, for about 10 years now. Why the racism? Why the social breakdown?

Why do Blacks there feel mistreated?

I thought it was the Trump rural gun-toting, bible thumpin', rednecks who were the racists?

These bad cops had priors...so why no action taken by the City?

I can only conclude that the Blue State of Minnesota, and the Blue'er city of Minneapolis are racist.

What else could it be? Total incompetence? It must be one, or the other.

It's time for the Red wave to hit Minnesota & Minneapolis, the Blue team failed the people there.
100% correct. Lefties need to OPEN their eyes and SEE what's REALLY going on!

Old 05-30-2020, 08:03 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Brody View Post
Simple. Because democrats are by far the most racist of the bunch on the planet. Racism is their livelihood.
Al Sharpton - Have race card will travel !!!

Old 05-30-2020, 09:37 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeriochapgovna View Post
I like that you mentioned Omaha. Omaha is one of the last places in America that banged on colors. In Omaha there was not too much set tripping or banging on hoods it was mostly colors. a guy from Chicago who grew up in chi but then moved to Nebraska told me he thought omaha was more dangerous then Chicago. He explained it to me in Chicago it's now alot of set tripping. certain gangs an hoods at war with each other. In Omaha it was banging on colors guys getting murdered for wearing a certain color t shirt.

That's not a native Nebraska culture though that came from California. For some reason that city was one of the last to embody an emulate that late 80s California gangbanging culture. that is why imo the murder rate was so high. The whole country was affected by the migration of California gangsters leaving their home state an flooding communities with drugs while preaching their message of killing someone for wearing a certain colot tshirt but for some reason Nebraska experienced it later then others an it was very intense, probably still is.

Both Oklahoma an Nebraska's murder rates an incarceration rates are skewed by the migration of west coast gangsters to that area in the 80s and 90s who introduced shooting someone for wearing a certain color shirt gangbanging an flooding your own community with narcotics in those places an with the help of the media made it cool an generational.

You see a similar dynamic is Texas. Currently active white criminal gangs in Texas are all originally from California an either migrated or offshooted out there. Now are these gangs that produce incarceration and murder statistics an example of that state producing that culture or not? That's up for debate

I enjoy engaging an sparring with you dude. Who knows who is really right but it's a good match. This a discussion that we are having most people can't engage in without resorting to insults but we made it this far. Good stuff man.
Omaha has been having issues for ages. Omaha was one of those cities where Blacks rioted occurred during the 1960s. And in 1919, thousands of Whites rioted against Black neighborhoods in North Omaha.

Gang violence has been an issue in North Omaha for a while. I know that Chicago gangs established themselves in Milwaukee and Minneapolis. Omaha, I could see the Chicago influence. However, the California influence is more surprising to me. I associate that more with St. Louis. St. Louis was always a rough city before the "banging on colors" took place.

From what I've heard, the crack era is when North Omaha really started to take a turn for the worst. Other things hurt North Omaha, such as building the North Omaha Freeway. It split the neighborhood, alot of housing was lost, and crime went up.

I didn't know how segregated Omaha's Black population was until I found this out. Omaha has about 65,000 Blacks (out of a population of 478,000 residents). Close to 38,000 Blacks live in Near North Side (which itself is 65% Black).

Tulsa has had a reputation for being kind of a rough city for years. Sure, California gangs have gone to Oklahoma, both Tulsa and Oklahoma City. At the same time, OKC and Tulsa were having issues in the 1980s, when the oil economy declined, and crack came in. Perfect storm. These are Republican ran city, and the ghettos still have problems. My whole point is that political parties have nothing to do with it.

Now, one difference between Texas and Oklahoma is this. Alot of Black middle class people have been moving to Texas. Not nearly as many have gone to Oklahoma. The Black middle class residents have moved to places like Dallas and Houston, thus not as much gang banging. Gangs live in their own worlds separate from the rest of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies