Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 02:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Bull****. Looters are not indoctrinated suicide bombers. They are not going to risk their lives over a flat screen TV.

I grew up in LA and I was only a kid during the LA Riot in the early 90s. I still remember Korean store owners armed themselves to protect their property from looters. Guess whose stores were not burned to the ground during the riot?
What began as outrage over Rodney King morphed into something else in the Koreatown neighborhood of LA.

Koreans had bought most of the commercial real estate and owned/ operated local businesses patronized by local black people in what became to be known as Koreatown.

A local black teen girl attempted to shoplift something or another and got caught. She put the thing back and turned to leave. The Korean shopkeeper shot her in the head and it was off to the races.

Many Koreans sought to defend their commercial properties from their rooftops. Many were the children of immigrants and had never fired a gun.

All in, about $1 billion of property damage was done, despite the defense put up by Korean business owners.

As an aside, Koreans have earned the highest rate of entrepreneurship, in the US. They go where other businesses have failed and do better than other immigrant populations as well as those with roots in the US for generations. They rarely use a bank for loans. Why spend $1, when you can save $1? Why pay for labor when the family will work for low wages and grow the family wealth? Education is highly valued. The son in law might be an MD or engineer but come Sunday, he may very well be behind the counter at the family grocery store.

Generally speaking, Koreans live the American Dream, that seems to elude so many others which results in resentments towards Koreans. It’s all about a culture of self discipline.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:34 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
And people think people want to own guns to hunt. THIS is the reason why people own guns. The government isn't protecting you. For the first time in my life, I considered buying one and my neighbor just got his card to buy one.
I recently bought a gun, just in case. Now I'm wondering how long before I will be put in a situation where its use is necessary.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:35 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know that suburbanites will drive out looters and rioters with gunshots. My point is this. Worst case scenario, rioters and looters could make their way to the suburbs. There are people crazy enough to do that.
Not going to happen. They're COWARDS. They know they can get away with it in the cities with Democrat Mayors telling the police to "Let them loot, it's only property."

Old 05-30-2020, 02:35 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
The rioters in cities aren't afraid shop owners might protect their stores like the LA Koreans did? They expect us to always give in and give up to their anarchy because they repeatedly get away with it.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:36 PM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I recently bought a gun, just in case. Now I'm wondering how long before I will be put in a situation where its use is necessary.
Truly? Probably never.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Well I did see an upper middle class neighborhood with expensive stores getting mobbed, vandalized. there was a high end clothing store there with windows busted.

One thing that made me feel something was the one guy who made a speech about Atlanta, that Atlanta is a sacred space, because it was one city that black people thrived and lived and counted it as safe.. but now the Antifa and other asswipes destroyed even it.

I heard on the news that the cities areas that the arsonists and lootters and mayhem is happening in the black neighborhoods.. WHY DO THAT???

I was sad to see a black couple who put all their life savings into their small business (restaurant) and they were there and told the looter that this was their place, but the idiot did it anyway.. something about stealing a steak out of the kitchen and whatever else).. this was their live savings, their dream and the idiots still destroyed it.

I saw a list on another post that had about 170 businesses ruined, some were big like Target, but many others were small businesses.

just what we need coming off covid shutdowns, and now people have to spend money on new glass for windows - which is expensive - and cleaning up the mess, and right now there is no end in sight.
This is it, a long, hot summer. We're at a point of no return. Like I said, alot of people do not care and are bent on having a war.

People who own nothing, have little to lose except their lives. And said persons will destroy other people's lives.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Truly? Probably never.
Well, it depends. I got jumped and mugged in an otherwise nice suburban area. I now live in a of 200,000 people. I saw a rally today regarding George Floyd. It was peaceful when I saw it (I live a block from where the rally was held). I just hope it stays that way.

3,406 posts, read 1,904,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
At least one of the Protesters threatened it. What would be the response to burning and looting of private homes in suburbia? Imagine HOA communities descended upon by Protesters and treated like they treat their own neighborhoods. Would police continue to stand down?
This is easy to answer! Wouldn't need the police. Homeowners would protect their families and property by killing themselves some looters! Come on in and let's give it a shot! Or two. Or three. Don't steal our stuff or try to burn down our homes and you ain't gonna get shot. Simple as that. Why do you think Dems want to take away our guns??

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I call bs. They would evacuate individually with their families if they had the chance.

Plenty of suburbs are blue as blue can be. They wouldn't fight a flea.

I put a capital "P" on protesters as a wink-wink. It is funny how the media keeps calling them that so I'll play along.
The blue suburbs are closer to the urban centers. The farther you get from the urban center, the redder and better armed people are. You get out of the metro areas entirely and you're going to start running into places where there are 10 guns for every human being pretty fast.

Lefty-land suburbs might be overrun, but it's unlikely. For starters, no suburb is 100% anything. Real case in point I just looked up because I was curious is the suburb of Chicago that my sister-in-law and family lives in. There's a historical breakdown of how the town has voted over the past decade available online. Comes out to about 55% Democrat and 45% Republican on average. I can tell you with absolute certainty that my sister-in-law's husband is well-armed and quite capable of giving a bunch of neighbors a gun and a crash course on how to use the thing. And make no mistake, there's plenty of Lefties in the suburbs that are well-armed as well. These areas tend to be more familiar and interactive as neighborhoods, so organizing the defense of their town from a hostile mob would come pretty naturally.

If you get out to where I live and you'll have more than one well-trained sniper in most houses. Therein lies the reason they really don't want to do it: They'll have absolutely no idea who has a gun pointed at them or how many there are. They can't know who is home with the lights off and who actually isn't home. I feel a deep swell of pity for anyone who tries to their insanity on the road and head to states like Wyoming, Nebraska, Oklahoma, the Dakotas, etc. It'll go very very badly for them there.

Short version: The rioters won't do well when they get outside their own neighborhoods. If they wanna throw their tantrum, for some reason we've normalized letting them smash and ruin their own areas. If they venture out of that area they'll die in horrifying numbers. The National Guard is trying to keep them isolated largely for their own safety.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Not going to happen. They're COWARDS. They know they can get away with it in the cities with Democrat Mayors telling the police to "Let them loot, it's only property."
What makes you so sure of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies