Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 03:08 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times

Advertisements

Another huge issue is how brazen cops have become. They've gotten pretty comfortable committing murder on camera with just a slap on the wrist. The reality is that this cop knew he was recorded but decided to go it anyway. Because he knows that there would be no real consequences for his action. He did get fired, but he can just get employment elsewhere in another town. So this is a real issue, and I'm interested to see how things shake out from this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 04:42 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Another huge issue is how brazen cops have become. They've gotten pretty comfortable committing murder on camera with just a slap on the wrist. The reality is that this cop knew he was recorded but decided to go it anyway. Because he knows that there would be no real consequences for his action. He did get fired, but he can just get employment elsewhere in another town. So this is a real issue, and I'm interested to see how things shake out from this.
Im curious too, this video is the most egregious behavior for a cop ever seen, and I havent seen many people dispute that he should be jailed, even on CD. I also wonder if this will finally bring some change (not in this presidential term, but afterwards).

I agree that race shouldnt be emphasized when it comes to bringing police overreach to the light, we can only get unified and change laws when were all in it together to change it. Theres plenty of white people that get needlessly get killed by police, but Black people make the most noise about it.
Police abuse the lower class pretty regularly, but people arent watching all the videos.

Whats worse is they figured out a new way to get the cop off, trying to make the medical examiner say he died from underlying conditions, which is the same bunk they used on Eric Gardner.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
A trolley officer shoved a belligerent passenger last week -for this my town was burned and looted last night
The volunteer clean crew including members of my church today were threatened and harassed

Old 06-01-2020, 04:52 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times
Quote:
The media keeps trying to make this a race issue because they do not want Americans across racial lines United on this issue. I've stated several times on this forum years ago, that this is a problem. We've let police off the hook so much that now police are comfortable assaulting Americans on camera.

I don't care what you'd political persuasion is. If you're gay, black, gray, white. If you're rich or poor. This is an issue and it has to be talked about without the usual partisan rhetoric
250,000,000 interactions with cops every year.
1000 deaths that are cop induced
4 or 5 of those are not justified killings.

What are you talking about?

Old 06-01-2020, 05:22 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
4 or 5 of those are not justified killings.

What are you talking about?
"Justified" is a pretty nebulous term. There are videos when unarmed men are shot on camera. You wouldn't think that would be justified but according to the law it is.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:28 PM

592 posts, read 502,218 times
Quote:
The media keeps trying to make this a race issue because they do not want Americans across racial lines United on this issue. I've stated several times on this forum years ago, that this is a problem. We've let police off the hook so much that now police are comfortable assaulting Americans on camera.

I don't care what you'd political persuasion is. If you're gay, black, gray, white. If you're rich or poor. This is an issue and it has to be talked about without the usual partisan rhetoric
Yes, there is no racism. Even in the 60s or even back in slavery white were being beaten by cops.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:44 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times
Quote:
"Justified" is a pretty nebulous term. There are videos when unarmed men are shot on camera. You wouldn't think that would be justified but according to the law it is.
Ok so lump in all 1000 deaths that are justified and unjustified. How many do you think are associated with white folks compared to black folks?

Old 06-01-2020, 06:01 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,702,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Yes, there is no racism. Even in the 60s or even back in slavery white were being beaten by cops.
Yes...that is what I am starting to realize. If you provide the reasoning using today’s logic, to deny that an issue was racial, nearly every act against blacks in the past was not racism. Besides, back in the day there were LAWS making it okay to treat blacks differently.....but since it was legal....it can't be racist....but rather, people simply following laws and traditions. How is that racist? Bad things were happening to whites too.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 06-01-2020 at 06:17 PM..

Old 06-01-2020, 06:09 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
The paradigm is simple:

The Social Contract mandates that the "collective good" is paramount over the rights of the individual.

Under this notion, most notably codified in the "General Welfare Clause" for those of us on soil claimed by the entity known as the U.S. government, the State has carte blanche in how to best secure the "public welfare".

Individuals will always be collateral damage under this paradigm. There's no negotiating with the authority of the Social Contract either. There isn't any moral/logic channels to pursue when the rulers make/change the rules as they see fit.

Why? General welfare of course. Public welfare.

Enjoy your contract, folks.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:10 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
Quote:
Socially constructed law...it's always possible anything is justified.

That's the fun of this thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies