Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 05:26 PM

6,704 posts, read 13,929,580 times

Advertisements

I can't condone what happened but I understand why it happened. Something about writing a check your A can't cash.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:31 PM

5,772 posts, read 5,066,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What I find interesting is, 9 times out of 10, if I hear that word, it's coming from an African American. But realistically, there's nothing anyone can say to me that would justify physical violence. If the races were reverse and a black man was knocked out for calling someone a cracker or whatever, it would probably be reported on the news and mobs may show up on the man's lawn.
No. If a black guy called a car full of white guys a racial slur that’s based on about 250 years of inhuman enslavement, then the black guy should be punched just like that. But don’t you see the problem? There is no white slur that carries such historical grievance as the N word....that’s the reality of trying to compare the two. They cannot be compared equally. White folks have never been enslaved like the blacks and whites don’t have a slur against them that carries such long and heavy historical significance. If blacks choose to use the n word for whatever reason, then they have the right to. It’s their word that they choose to own. White people and any other folks do not have the right to use that word. Period.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:33 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,784,036 times
Anyone who uses it sounds ignorant, no matter what color they are.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:35 PM

20,957 posts, read 5,516,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
There's that "proportional response / crime game" delusion at work again, which fills prison with Blacks.

The assaulter is going to go to jail for a significant period of time. It is no one's fault but his.

Whatever happened to being able to let it roll off, like water off a duck's back, as my mom used to say? There is no name that a total stranger could ever call me that would make me assault that person. The exception might be if it was someone who had done me real dirt, and even then, I'll take a lot of dirt from someone before I'd ever consider an assault. What in the hell is wrong with a man who cannot rise above an insult, and as a result will end up in jail, ruining his own life? Just a mind-boggling level of self-destructiveness.

I hope he enjoys his new relationship with Bubba the cellmate.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:36 PM

29,667 posts, read 24,706,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
No. If a black guy called a car full of white guys a racial slur that’s based on about 250 years of inhuman enslavement, then the black guy should be punched just like that. But don’t you see the problem? There is no white slur that carries such historical grievance as the N word....that’s the reality of trying to compare the two. They cannot be compared equally. White folks have never been enslaved like the blacks and whites don’t have a slur against them that carries such long and heavy historical significance. If blacks choose to use the n word for whatever reason, then they have the right to. It’s their word that they choose to own. White people and any other folks do not have the right to use that word. Period.

I never said anyone should use the word. You can't silence free speech in America though. Anyone can say that word, but they will also bare the consequences of their choice of language. In this case, the man on the receiving end of the beating may think twice before saying that word to someone.

As for white slurs, there are many. We just don't care and don't take offense to them. Life is easier when you don't sweat the small stuff, and people's choice of poor language is pretty low on my list of concerns. When people talk like that, resort to racism, etc it makes them sound unintelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
The racist was given some needed discipline. He will remember that..

He will probably carry some form of protection in the future. And he is likely more racist than he was before. If someone really wants to have a positive, meaningful and lasting impact, it's better to change someone's mind than it is to try to bash their brain in.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:38 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,562,058 times
I don't agree with the guy punching the dude. He should have walked up to him and say put your dukes up, let's do this like men or he could have had the guy apologize to him. The guy would have complied or left the scene.

My worry is the guy keep his anger inside and may shoot an innocent black man for what this stupid black man did.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:39 PM

6,841 posts, read 2,604,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Big deal. He can apologize for that. No one was physically hurt by that. The assaulter, on the other hand, committed a real crime.
He will be working minimum wage for the rest of his life if able to get a job at all with an assault record.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:41 PM

36,857 posts, read 17,248,521 times
White guy violated the non-aggression principle by placing his hand on the black man's chest.

Natural law is our friend, my friends.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:42 PM

35,508 posts, read 17,742,116 times
Does the video start AFTER he called them that? All I heard was F You.

I didn't hear the N word although I've listened several times with the sound all the way up.

Last edited by ClaraC; 06-01-2020 at 05:59 PM..

Old 06-01-2020, 05:43 PM

12,897 posts, read 13,573,641 times
See the Doctrine of Fighting Words ignorance of the law is no defense. If someone calls you the N word yes you can take them apart. Pass it on you might save someone brain damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies