Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 08:20 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times

Advertisements

I do not understand it.

If a cop truly wants to stand for respect for the law, there is nothing a rogue cop should fear more than another cop.

Why in the world do good cops protect bad cops?

Why aren't we seeing good cops witnessing the actions of bad cops acting as witnesses for the prosecution?
Why aren't we seeing good cops stop bad cops when the latter use excessive force, in real time?

I know most cops are good people. Good people do not look the other way when witnessing bad actions. Even when bad actions occur at the hands of folks wearing uniforms just like your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 08:23 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
Oh, Bob, thank you SO much.

I've never understood the mentality (and I've seen it even here in these forums) of people who think any "snitching" is dishonorable, and even wrong-doers should be shielded. And I don't understand why police chiefs all across the country don't get together to solve this, since this problem seems so widespread and so persistent.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:08 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I do not understand it.

If a cop truly wants to stand for respect for the law, there is nothing a rogue cop should fear more than another cop.

Why aren't we seeing good cops witnessing the actions of bad cops acting as witnesses for the prosecution?
Why aren't we seeing good cops stop bad cops when the latter use excessive force, in real time?

I know most cops are good people. Good people do not look the other way when witnessing bad actions. Even when bad actions occur at the hands of folks wearing uniforms just like your own.

...bob, using your own logic..."most cops are good people"..."good people report bad actions"...then you ask the question "why aren't we seeing good cops report and stop bad cops?"... ergo, there are few good cops...otherwise we'd be seeing these 'good cops' reporting the bad cops...ya see...

p.s...this psycho that killed the black dude had killed three previous suspects...2006, two in 2011...where were the good cops then...

pps..i'm not anti cop i'm anti illogical statements..

Old 05-28-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...bob, using your own logic..."most cops are good people"..."good people report bad actions"...then you ask the question "why aren't we seeing good cops report and stop bad cops?"... ergo, there are few good cops...otherwise we'd be seeing these 'good cops' reporting the bad cops...ya see...

p.s...this psycho that killed the black dude had killed three previous suspects...2006, two in 2011...where were the good cops then...

pps..i'm not anti cop i'm anti illogical statements..
I disagree that few cops are good. Most are good. I pin much blame on cops being unionized in most cases. I've seen far too many union members who , unfortunately, look the other way around bad colleagues. Same here IMO. It creates a collective mentality. So rogues unfortunately find refuge by being a "union brother".

The collective in most cases in all of society is quite harmful.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:18 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,015 times
Quote:
I do not understand it.

What you would make you sick is if cops grew sick of you and refused to do their jobs as a result.

You notice one incident or so per year, and those are generally questionably reported on by the race-baiting media and their commie politician compatriots.

Cops are dealing with the worst of society day in and out for their entire careers, to keep them from you. What are you "sick of" again?

Did you know that lots of police academies no longer have age limits or even meaningful education requirements, which means that you can sign up?

There would be no better way to effect the change that you want to see. Otherwise, I'd think twice before starting hate threads against the people who enable your continued existence.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:23 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
While I agree with the premise, in reality its not that simple. In any job you have bad actors, and I get that this is different because lives are in the balance, but relatively speaking its true for any LEO so its not "special" in this case.

If you take any other job, you don't see people snitching on others for bad behavior on a regular basis because those who call out bad actors feel like they are risking their own jobs. This means they are risking food, shelter, and an incoming revenue stream for themselves and/or their family. Most people aren't willing to take this risk as they value the security and revenue produced by just doing their job and minding their business.

This is in no way being said to condone murder or any other physical abuse, or to compare basic every day job activities to potentially murdering someone, but the basics of financial security and stability for those employed in any scenario tends to outweigh the risk it would entail to "turn in" or call out potential bad actors.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post

Cops are dealing with the worst of society day in and out for their entire careers, to keep them from you. .
That does not excuse the rogues at all.

What I find astounding is the lack of hatred towards rogue cops by good cops.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
While I agree with the premise, in reality its not that simple. In any job you have bad actors, and I get that this is different because lives are in the balance, but relatively speaking its true for any LEO so its not "special" in this case.

If you take any other job, you don't see people snitching on others for bad behavior on a regular basis because those who call out bad actors feel like they are risking their own jobs. This means they are risking food, shelter, and an incoming revenue stream for themselves and/or their family. Most people aren't willing to take this risk as they value the security and revenue produced by just doing their job and minding their business.

This is in no way being said to condone murder or any other physical abuse, or to compare basic every day job activities to potentially murdering someone, but the basics of financial security and stability for those employed in any scenario tends to outweigh the risk it would entail to "turn in" or call out potential bad actors.
I agree we have become cowardly as a nation. Far too complacent. 59 years ago, the Freedom Riders willingly rode into danger. An equal number of white young Americans sat beside young black Americans, knowing they would be beaten or killed over ideals they had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIffL6KplzQ

Old 05-28-2020, 09:33 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
I agree we have become cowardly as a nation. Far too complacent. 59 years ago, the Freedom Riders willingly rode into danger. An equal number of white young Americans sat beside young black Americans, knowing they would be beaten or killed over ideals they had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIffL6KplzQ
Agree, its a bit cowardly and complacent, but Id have to assume much of that can be attributed to the difficulty of just getting by financially for some these days.

Again, none of this really makes things right or wrong, but just an observation and assumption on my part.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Agree, its a bit cowardly and complacent, but Id have to assume much of that can be attributed to the difficulty of just getting by financially for some these days.

Again, none of this really makes things right or wrong, but just an observation and assumption on my part.
I think from my generation on (I was born in 1960), we had it too easy.

The WWII Greatest Gen featured men dying, storming the beaches at Normandy or fighting Japan.

Diane Nash's generation followed it, and accomplished a ton, towards equality for all. Risking their lives, in the case of the Freedom Fighters, btw. Followed their parent's generations footsteps.

My generation and those after mine, never faced a life or death challenge, collectively. I think , for that reason, my generation onward was far softer than Nash's or the Greatest generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies