Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2020, 09:42 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The disapproval could be because of this:

58% Of Voters Support Using Military To Help Police Control Protests, Poll Finds

Trump didn't intervene fast enough when violence erupted because due to our federalist government, each city and state had the responsibility to act to protect their residents and their residents' businesses. How did the Dem-governed cities and states do? Minneapolis? NYC? Chicago? LA? Etc.? Are their residents happy with how their state and local elected officials' responded to the rioters' vandalism/looting/assault violence?
Glossing over Monday I see. Glossing over saying you have to dominate the protesters I see. Glossing over his incindiary speech I see. The issue was until Thursday last week, largely protests were happening not riots and looting. Plus Trump can't send the military in to act as police.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:56 AM

88,963 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Glossing over Monday I see. Glossing over saying you have to dominate the protesters I see. Glossing over his incindiary speech I see. The issue was until Thursday last week, largely protests were happening not riots and looting. Plus Trump can't send the military in to act as police.
There was no incendiary speech. The vast majority of Americans polled thought federal troops should be used to quell the vandalism/looting/assault rioters' violence. When that didn't happen and more casualties and losses occurred, most polled Americans were dissatisfied with the fed gov not stepping in to reinstate peace. The questions remain... Each city and state had the responsibility to act to protect their residents and their residents' businesses. How did the Dem-governed cities and states do? Minneapolis? NYC? Chicago? LA? Etc.? Are their residents happy with how their state and local elected officials responded to the rioters' vandalism/looting/assault violence?

Old 06-05-2020, 09:59 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I think it is common sense that bad actors of any stripe--whether foreign or domestic-- would seize on chaos and outrage to do some damage and to advance their agendas. I didn't say they were orchestrating it, or that the violent thugs aren't 100% responsible for their behavior. Multiple things can be true at the same time. I can see a plausible reason for an assortment of whack job extremists to take advantage and/or participate in this rioting nightmare. That is just my observation, not a conspiracy theory.

As things are starting to develop, we can see what the actual agendas are, because people are now saying the crazy out loud. Defund the police? I've never heard of anything so ridiculous.

Yeah, I'm still disturbed by much of what I saw and it seems like this is just another case where people are all pointing fingers at the wrong group.

We got got. Again.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:15 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Versus voting for Trump, who ordered the military to move in and tear gas peaceful civilian protesters so he could hold up a bible in front of a church?

Yeah...I'll pass.
you enjoy it, don't you.

Trump ordered (personally)
the military (not Secret Service/cops)
tear gas (disproven)
peaceful civilians (reports of items thrown)

Old 06-05-2020, 10:54 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There was no incendiary speech. The vast majority of Americans polled thought federal troops should be used to quell the vandalism/looting/assault rioters' violence. When that didn't happen and more casualties and losses occurred, most polled Americans were dissatisfied with the fed gov not stepping in to reinstate peace. The questions remain... Each city and state had the responsibility to act to protect their residents and their residents' businesses. How did the Dem-governed cities and states do? Minneapolis? NYC? Chicago? LA? Etc.? Are their residents happy with how their state and local elected officials responded to the rioters' vandalism/looting/assault violence?
They are doing horribly. I live in NY and Cuomo seems to hate us. He treats law enforcement like dirt, panders to the rioters, and locks us all up for three months but says the protesters have a 'sacrosanct right.'

I don't believe the polls to be representative.

Most people want order restored. Mayors and governors are not doing that. I'd rather not see the military on the streets, but if Cuomo refuses to send in the Guard, I believe people would rather have the military than mob rule. Right now we have mob rule. Law abiding people are still prevented from working, but mobs take to the streets and call themselves protesters, violating all the quarantine rules that everyone else is required to keep.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
These are not protests. This is mob rule. There is a rule in place in most areas: you can't have mass gatherings. Now, I was not in favor of that rule because it is unconstitutional to prevent people from assembling, but I was shamed into silence when I dared mention our right to assemble. But it is the rule, nevertheless. And many people have followed that rule at GREAT cost to themselves, even letting relatives die alone so as not to disobey 'shelter in place.'

But then, a very large group of people throughout the land, decides to violate that rule and government does nothing to prevent it. That is the definition of mob rule.

Had the governors and mayors either disbanded the protests as a violation of lockdown, like they arrested barbers, or IMMEDIATELY released the rest of us from our imprisonment and opened the entire economy, it is quite possible that these riots would not have happened at their current scale. If NYC was it's usual self--filled with people on the streets, traffic, etc. at all hours, this would not have been such a horror movie, and I would have used the appropriate term of 'protesters' to describe them (the ones who are not rioting). Because everyone has the right to protest.

So, I don't think language about 'dominating' is out of line when mob rule is the norm. He clearly meant restore order by using the National Guard, which my Governor is not doing. Governor Cuomo, and many parts of NY are being dominated by looters, arsonists, and vandals. Because he apparently likes it that way.

Last edited by kmom2; 06-05-2020 at 11:22 AM..

Old 06-05-2020, 11:28 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
These are not protests. This is mob rule. There is a rule in place in most areas: you can't have mass gatherings. Now, I was not in favor of that rule because it is unconstitutional to prevent people from assembling, but I was shamed into silence when I dared mention our right to assemble. But it is the rule, nevertheless. And many people have followed that rule at GREAT cost to themselves, even letting relatives die alone so as not to disobey 'shelter in place.'

But then, a very large group of people throughout the land, decides to violate that rule and government does nothing to prevent it. That is the definition of mob rule.

Had the governors and mayors either disbanded the protests as a violation of lockdown, like they arrested barbers, or IMMEDIATELY released the rest of us from our imprisonment and opened the entire economy, it is quite possible that these riots would not have happened at their current scale. If NYC was it's usual self--filled with people on the streets, traffic, etc. at all hours, this would not have been such a horror movie, and I would have used the appropriate term of 'protesters' to describe them (the ones who are not rioting). Because everyone has the right to protest.

So, I don't think language about 'dominating' is out of line when mob rule is the norm. He clearly meant restore order by using the National Guard, which my Governor is not doing. Governor Cuomo, and many parts of NY are being dominated by looters, arsonists, and vandals. Because he apparently likes it that way.
The protesters and the looters are not the same. Are there some throwing rock and bottles at cops, sure. That said a lot of the violence is the riots not the protests, especially this week.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:37 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Glossing over saying you have to dominate the protesters I see.
Quote:
The protesters and the looters are not the same.
that's funny. they're exactly the same when it fits your need.

here's a hint: trump said nothing about having to dominate protesters. you're the one conflating the two.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
The protesters and the looters are not the same. Are there some throwing rock and bottles at cops, sure. That said a lot of the violence is the riots not the protests, especially this week.
I will be more amenable to the idea that the protesters are protesters when I am released from lockdown and allowed to live my life as a free person. And the streets are once again filled with all people. Right now, they are people who---through sheer force of numbers---are given a pass that no one else is.

In theory, I would agree with you, they are not one in the same. But there is a relationship between the two that the rioters are exploiting, and the protesters are ignoring/tacitly approving. There are videos where people are marching and chanting slogans, one of them smashes a window, and they all just keep marching. The distinction is not so clear.

Masses of people on the streets is stressing the police to the max. They are not able to handle this (which is why we need the Guard). It is only a matter of time before something else happens, like with the recent incident with the old man. And things might blow up even worse.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:46 PM

57,215 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
are the cops nodding and winking at the white supremacists and moving on to "Antifa" criminals?

Aren't they arresting them all?
Yes they are arresting them all, so why did Barr just choose to point out Antifa and why is Trump selectively choosing to categorize them as a terror group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.