Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 07:30 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Your post is clearly factually incorrect.
Ghettos aren't beautiful. FACT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 08:01 AM

7,350 posts, read 4,138,516 times
OP, if you listen to this starting at the 8 minute mark. It explains some of it.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tuck...aders-dithered

edit - this[quote]

Martin Luther King famously noted that violence “destroys community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue.” This week’s violent looting has produced a deafening monologue.

On the south side of Chicago, where I pastor a church and lead a ministry, Project H.O.O.D., we are in the business of building dialogue as the way of rebuilding our community. We help build community leaders and we equip our neighbors—especially young black men who are exiting gangs—to build their own character and to help rebuild the streets. We build self-esteem and respect for our fellow man. And we build stronger families with firmer foundations.

The destructive violence, rioting, and looting of the last few days, however, have quickly erased years of our dialogue.

When I began New Beginnings Church on the south side of Chicago, the neighborhood held the sad distinction of having one of the nation’s highest homicide rates. Over the years, we have changed that statistic. We have built a thriving church with an average of 600 to 750 people at our services each Sunday. We have a community center with a free gym, a career center that offers advice and assistance with interviews, and a high-impact jobs training program that has helped people build successful careers in fields such as construction or landscaping. Our work has paid off, and we have witnessed the power of a changed life. I have seen the excitement of young men who have turned away from violent gangs to embark on their own new beginning and get fitted for construction boots for their new jobs.

Where despair once reigned, we have replaced it with hope and opportunity.

The riots of this past week, however, have set us back in our ministry work and have done incalculable damage to our community. The physical damage to property pales in comparison to the damage done to our morale.

George Floyd’s death at the hands of a police officer in Minneapolis sparked understandable outrage. How could another black man have died because of police brutality? The protests began as a natural outpouring of grief, as white and black Americans were united in their horror at this senseless act.

But these protests turned violent, and the victims of this widespread looting are often the black community leaders and business owners. How does it advance our cause of racial harmony to wreck the black communities?

We are still surveying the damage on our streets. All of the CVS and Walgreens buildings were looted. The result is that we no longer have a pharmacy in our neighborhood. Church members are shuttling members of our community out to the suburbs to get their prescriptions and basic goods.

The grocery stores were also looted, leaving us without options to purchase local food.

The question lingers on many of our minds: Will these stores and pharmacies—so essential for daily living here—ever come back? It’s challenging enough in normal times to lure stores and businesses to rough neighborhoods; it’s going to be far more difficult to entice business owners to set up shop in our beleaguered communities now.

Liberal politicians in Illinois and across the country have fanned the flames of anger over the past several years. Their policies and worldview emphasize government as the solution to all problems, except, paradoxically, when we need police. Our mayor, Lori Lightfoot, has been unable or unwilling to put a stop to the violence in the streets of our home city, in part because she has been unable to offer a strong defense for good law enforcement agents doing the necessary work of making our neighborhoods livable.

Lost in the liberal messaging is the reality that the foundation of our society is the rule of law. The tragic killing of George Floyd reminds us that we need better training and screening for police officers. But the vast majority of the law enforcement agents in our nation advance racial equality, and help black Americans participate in the American dream.

No one, after all, wants to live in an un-policed and lawless neighborhood. Thriving neighborhoods are able to attract businesses and families precisely because of the rule of law and the police officers upholding it.
Lawless neighborhoods, by contrast, are a turn-off for parents and business owners.

Violence is rampant in Chicago, and it has nothing to do with isolated incidents of police brutality. Over Memorial Day weekend, ten African-Americans were shot and killed in drive-by shootings. I’ve given funeral sermons for victims of drive-by shootings in the past, and those victims’ deaths are each a senseless tragedy.

On the south side of Chicago, we don’t need police stepping back and retreating because of political agendas. The logical extension of liberal police reform is for law enforcement agents to retreat from their duties, but this is exactly wrong and will weaken our neighborhoods.

We need justice in the George Floyd case, and we need assurances that these hateful acts will not take place again. At the same time, we need partnerships with the police so they will help us re-establish law and order in our neighborhoods.

Democrats, however, cling to wrongheaded rhetoric that does nothing to stop the destruction of our homes. It is no coincidence that the most violent looting and destruction took place this past week in cities heavily controlled by Democrats.

I’ve been attacked, been robbed, life has been threatened. Black Americans deserve better than this.

Pastor Corey Brooks is the founder and Senior Pastor of New Beginnings Church of Chicago and founder and CEO of Project H.O.O.D Communities Development Corporation./QUOTE]

https://www.theamericanconservative....-back-decades/

Last edited by YorktownGal; 06-04-2020 at 08:24 AM..

Old 06-04-2020, 10:50 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
[quote=YorktownGal;58290330]OP, if you listen to this starting at the 8 minute mark. It explains some of it.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tuck...aders-dithered

edit - this
Quote:

Martin Luther King famously noted that violence “destroys community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue.” This week’s violent looting has produced a deafening monologue.

On the south side of Chicago, where I pastor a church and lead a ministry, Project H.O.O.D., we are in the business of building dialogue as the way of rebuilding our community. We help build community leaders and we equip our neighbors—especially young black men who are exiting gangs—to build their own character and to help rebuild the streets. We build self-esteem and respect for our fellow man. And we build stronger families with firmer foundations.

The destructive violence, rioting, and looting of the last few days, however, have quickly erased years of our dialogue.

When I began New Beginnings Church on the south side of Chicago, the neighborhood held the sad distinction of having one of the nation’s highest homicide rates. Over the years, we have changed that statistic. We have built a thriving church with an average of 600 to 750 people at our services each Sunday. We have a community center with a free gym, a career center that offers advice and assistance with interviews, and a high-impact jobs training program that has helped people build successful careers in fields such as construction or landscaping. Our work has paid off, and we have witnessed the power of a changed life. I have seen the excitement of young men who have turned away from violent gangs to embark on their own new beginning and get fitted for construction boots for their new jobs.

Where despair once reigned, we have replaced it with hope and opportunity.

The riots of this past week, however, have set us back in our ministry work and have done incalculable damage to our community. The physical damage to property pales in comparison to the damage done to our morale.

George Floyd’s death at the hands of a police officer in Minneapolis sparked understandable outrage. How could another black man have died because of police brutality? The protests began as a natural outpouring of grief, as white and black Americans were united in their horror at this senseless act.

But these protests turned violent, and the victims of this widespread looting are often the black community leaders and business owners. How does it advance our cause of racial harmony to wreck the black communities?

We are still surveying the damage on our streets. All of the CVS and Walgreens buildings were looted. The result is that we no longer have a pharmacy in our neighborhood. Church members are shuttling members of our community out to the suburbs to get their prescriptions and basic goods.

The grocery stores were also looted, leaving us without options to purchase local food.

The question lingers on many of our minds: Will these stores and pharmacies—so essential for daily living here—ever come back? It’s challenging enough in normal times to lure stores and businesses to rough neighborhoods; it’s going to be far more difficult to entice business owners to set up shop in our beleaguered communities now.

Liberal politicians in Illinois and across the country have fanned the flames of anger over the past several years. Their policies and worldview emphasize government as the solution to all problems, except, paradoxically, when we need police. Our mayor, Lori Lightfoot, has been unable or unwilling to put a stop to the violence in the streets of our home city, in part because she has been unable to offer a strong defense for good law enforcement agents doing the necessary work of making our neighborhoods livable.

Lost in the liberal messaging is the reality that the foundation of our society is the rule of law. The tragic killing of George Floyd reminds us that we need better training and screening for police officers. But the vast majority of the law enforcement agents in our nation advance racial equality, and help black Americans participate in the American dream.

No one, after all, wants to live in an un-policed and lawless neighborhood. Thriving neighborhoods are able to attract businesses and families precisely because of the rule of law and the police officers upholding it.
Lawless neighborhoods, by contrast, are a turn-off for parents and business owners.

Violence is rampant in Chicago, and it has nothing to do with isolated incidents of police brutality. Over Memorial Day weekend, ten African-Americans were shot and killed in drive-by shootings. I’ve given funeral sermons for victims of drive-by shootings in the past, and those victims’ deaths are each a senseless tragedy.

On the south side of Chicago, we don’t need police stepping back and retreating because of political agendas. The logical extension of liberal police reform is for law enforcement agents to retreat from their duties, but this is exactly wrong and will weaken our neighborhoods.

We need justice in the George Floyd case, and we need assurances that these hateful acts will not take place again. At the same time, we need partnerships with the police so they will help us re-establish law and order in our neighborhoods.

Democrats, however, cling to wrongheaded rhetoric that does nothing to stop the destruction of our homes. It is no coincidence that the most violent looting and destruction took place this past week in cities heavily controlled by Democrats.

I’ve been attacked, been robbed, life has been threatened. Black Americans deserve better than this.

Pastor Corey Brooks is the founder and Senior Pastor of New Beginnings Church of Chicago and founder and CEO of Project H.O.O.D Communities Development Corporation./QUOTE]

https://www.theamericanconservative....-back-decades/
Just to hit a high spot what you said about the businesses that were burned and looted does strike a chord. I know if I owned one of them I wouldnt be reopening. At least not in that neighborhood.

Truly, what sort of statement does burning out your neighbors businesses make? How does that equate to justice for George Floyd?

So now people who live in that neighborhood have no place locally for their basic needs. Food and medicine are rather important. Pictures I've seen from these places the rioters trashed look like war zones in some third world country.

It's quite disgusting and yes very disheartening. I've had violent crime touch my life as well. It does change you. I'm certainly not the same man I was before.

I cant even imagine what something on the scale of these riots would do to me. There was some bad stuff happened close to me but not on top of me.

Turns out most of the problem children aren't even from around d here. They came in from the Bay Area and Sacramento cesspools. These cretins need to stay on their own side of the Sierras.

And once all the dust and smoke clears what a mess this is going to be. Economically it's going to be more of a disaster than the physical damage. That impact will be far reaching if not permanent.

Jobs? What jobs? No place left to work. Yeah, way to send a message. Really made the bad guys pay for wrong done there. Way to go people. Ain't life grand...

Old 06-05-2020, 11:45 AM

108 posts, read 89,153 times
The problem is not the police. The problem is 50 years of a welfare state in conjunction with mass non-white immigration.

Old 09-24-2021, 05:25 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I'm an American, also observing from afar as I live in Japan. My best guess is that the most obvious culprits are actually most to blame. It's easy to dismiss the impact of media, from Hollywood to the major newspapers to Facebook, as exaggerated. And it is no doubt true that the average TV drama, feature article of viral post does little to influence society, but there is a cumulative effect. Compared to many Americans, I don't even see that much American media. But in what I have see regularly in recent years - PBS News, ABC News, the NYT, WaPo, a few of the popular high-end dramas - the propaganda is relentless: America is an unjust country where people of color suffer due to the actions of whites. With this message being disseminated constantly, from sources touted as authoritative, "fair and balanced", is it any wonder that a significant fraction of the populace is now ready to burn it all down?
very well said, and more true now than ever.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:38 PM

108 posts, read 89,153 times
Almost nobody knows that black ghettos didn’t appear until the late 60s. Before that, blacks lived separate lives from whites but were much better off in all metrics that determine the happiness of a society. Then the Civil Rights Movement is created to solve a problem that most blacks had no idea existed and the black towns and districts disappear (no the riots in the 20s we’re not the cause). Yet, an uniformed Marxist will reply to my comment with something about the KkK being around back then - truth is impossible when only certain voices are allowed to inform the masses. And as the country accepts more and more millions of non-whites, and their heads are filled with the same blame the whites brainwashing, we devolve into a society that eventually hunts down the last of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies