Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 11:55 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
No one has a right to enter our country. We as a nation decide what is and is not legal entry. There are a lot of drugs that cross that border, illegal immigrants who drain our coffers of resources meant for American citizens and legal residents. Border patrol is there to protect all of us from drugs, crime and illegal immigration. I support our border patrol and the tough work they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Thank you!
I do believe in poetic justice ... may the u.s. reap its just rewards.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:14 PM

900 posts, read 375,577 times
Hispanics are not a race, Hispanics are a category created in the USA to include countries in Latin America that are not similar, in Latin America there are mixed-race countries like Mexico, there are white countries like Argentina and Uruguay and there are black countries like Haiti . And there are still countries that have the three ethnic groups together like Brazil.

Your question is wrong, one culture does not threaten one race, but another culture, finally, today if all citizens of Germany came to immigrate to the USA, even though they are white, they would end up with a good part of American culture.

America needs to stop creating things that don't exist, which is why it is lagging behind in all educational indicators. There is no Hispanic race, but mestizos, the whole world uses mestizos.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:26 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
A lot of the Hispanics here are still first generation. Their kids will likely be bilingual.
Many who are here are first generation because of illegal immigration. Their kids who attend are schools of course will learn English. Doesn't change the fact that they are Hispanics culturally. Unless we curb illegal immigration our identifying culture will be transformed to a Hispanic one. It's neither lawful nor natural.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I can also attest to this. My Mom is a 2nd generation Mexican-American. She doesn’t speak any Spanish. Both of her parents were born in the US to immigrant parents and they are bilingual but choose to primarily speak English (even though my Grandma loves her Spanish soap operas). Culturally, my mom and her siblings are “Americanized.” They all vote Republican for the most part. Nobody in my family has had a “quinceañera.” I have seen this with other 2nd or 3rd generation Mexicans. They assimilate pretty quickly.

I know this isn’t the case for everybody, but I know that my family is NOT an expectation to the rule. I see that with other families I know. They lean one way or the other as far as politics, just like white people. They are mostly against illegal immigration. People assume Hispanics are a voting bloc but once they are removed a generation or two, they are Americanized. Just like European immigrant groups. You no longer see huge German speaking communities in the US for example.
It doesn't matter what generation they are most have always voted Democrat and that's just a fact. I have already explained the reasons why.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:00 PM

900 posts, read 375,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Many who are here are first generation because of illegal immigration. Their kids who attend are schools of course will learn English. Doesn't change the fact that they are Hispanics culturally. Unless we curb illegal immigration our identifying culture will be transformed to a Hispanic one. It's neither lawful nor natural.
Hispanic culture is also not so different from American culture, in essence, it is not like Europe with its Islamic immigrants, these can profoundly change European culture ... whereas more Hispanics at most would affect the use of English as main language. The rest would be practically same.

Old 06-05-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanMarcs View Post
Hispanic culture is also not so different from American culture, in essence, it is not like Europe with its Islamic immigrants, these can profoundly change European culture ... whereas more Hispanics at most would affect the use of English as main language. The rest would be practically same.
I don't see that much of a resemblance of the Hispanic culture to the American culture. I know, I live in the thick of it. A common language is very important in a country to be able to communicate with one another. Learning it and speaking it are two different things. I don't wish our national de facto language (which should be made official) to be changed to Spanish in recognition or practice and certainly not through an unnatural and unlawful method via illegal immigration.

Old 06-05-2020, 05:52 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Hispanics are not a race, Hispanics are a category created in the USA to include countries in Latin America that are not similar, in Latin America there are mixed-race countries like Mexico, there are white countries like Argentina and Uruguay and there are black countries like Haiti . And there are still countries that have the three ethnic groups together like Brazil.

Your question is wrong, one culture does not threaten one race, but another culture, finally, today if all citizens of Germany came to immigrate to the USA, even though they are white, they would end up with a good part of American culture.

America needs to stop creating things that don't exist, which is why it is lagging behind in all educational indicators. There is no Hispanic race, but mestizos, the whole world uses mestizos.
Race is a social construct --- we are all of one blood, red. Race was created so that one group of people would believe they are better than the other group --- divide us and keep us guessing.

Quote:
citizens of Germany came to immigrate to the USA, even though they are white, they would end up with a good part of American culture.
They are --- and are a silent majority; many were brought here as indentured servants.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:45 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Culture is more about interpersonal interaction patterns than what cheese you like to eat.

ie: what one commonly does in response to x or y situation, mostly in terms of small nuanced interactions.

Interpersonal interaction patterns are largely a function of the brain architecture because they depend on patterns of emotional control and fine decision making.

It is why people get frustrated when visiting either Japan or parts of Europe. They have issues adjusting to the instinct that allows proper cultural interaction patterns (emotional restraint, models of politeness, models of reciprocation, etc): all dependent on constant emotional and logical judgement. If they don't blend in this way, then eventually they begin to notice patterns of rejection.

This is why, even though Northeast Asians and Northwest Europeans are not perfectly "culturally" swapable with one another and have markedly differing diets, they trend toward intermixing in neighborhoods more than do other groups with Europeans. In terms of what is important and defines culture, as described above, they are closer than other groups that are even "native" to the same continents.

Anyone whose culture is like what I above describe will know exactly what I am stating. Anyone whose culture is more chaotic won't get it. But it is what it is.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:49 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
They’re third world people who don’t assimilate. We don’t need any more of those.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:06 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I don't know about Mexicans assimilating into American culture but I do know about people from Brazil and they do not.

I used to live and work in a largely Brazilian community and they really kept to themselves. Many of them were hard working so we can't fault them there but the money they earned was often sent back to Brazil. I knew one guy that had a 10 year plan to work hard while living a meager life with 6-7 guys in a house built for 4. He was sending his money back to his family and he was going to buy a ranch in Brazil. Very little of his money went back into the community.

I knew another guy, older from Brazil. He had a good painting business, became a US citizen, bought a house and was living the American Dream until the recession hit and his fellow countrymen that worked with illegal aliens cut his jobs out from under him. He lost his house and I don't know if he went back to Brazil after that.

This assimilating idea is a noble one but it often does not happen anymore because of satellite TV and with stations in other things in spanish why bother to learn English?

About 18 years ago my girlfriend and I went to a "Brazilian rodeo" and it was a real eye opener. They played the National anthem and no one cared, they kept talking but when they played the Brazilian anthem the place came alive with everyone singing. If you loved your country so much then why did you come to America to ignore its traditions?

Total assimilation is a Liberal talking point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies