Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2020, 12:14 PM

1,781 posts, read 955,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I saw a TikTok video of a girl attempting to go into a police station to report that her car had been vandalized by rioters. They pushed her out of the build and told her she was not welcome there.

A TikTok video?! WTH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 12:16 PM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What is your fix when 40 drunken looters target your store?

I have asked a number of people, and no one has answered.
You watch from a safe distance with a high resolution camera so that you can prosecute the looters later down the line and document the damage for the insurance company.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:16 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You didn’t hit a nerve, but I am angry at the total destruction and the stupid media continuing to cover this like it’s some kind of heroic protest. Joe Biden says it’s systemic racism. You hear that? It’s OUR fault this is happening! Never mind that I’ve never been in a position to harm or discriminate against a black person. Never mind that I wasn’t even born when MLK was shot, and I’m 51-years old. I was raised by a single mom in the ‘70s, and she barely made enough to support us. I am damn lucky to have a job right now, but I live paycheck to paycheck. And somehow I am part of a racist system. I think the language and excuses I’m hearing everywhere from people in actual positions of power is ridiculous and divisive, and that’s what hit a nerve.
I agree. People need to be honest.

When people are murdered, assaulted, raped, when businesses are looted, when cars and buildings are set fire, and when honest citizens are terrified to even be in the same county, we don’t have a protest, we have an out-of-control mob, rioting and pillaging.

One idiot cop killed an innocent man, and now we all have to pay. I am sick and tired of it.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:17 PM

305 posts, read 102,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, they do, actually. What you are saying is a fake claim which has been circulating in the internet. It is easy enough for you to check.

Why do you think hurricane insurance is mandatory in Florida if you have a mortgage? As for looting and vandalism, yes, it is covered under commercial policies.

I saw one poor woman being beaten by some thugs because she rushed to the street to defend her property. Do not risk your life to defend material goods. Any cop will tell you the same. Let the insurance handle it.

Your words, not mine. Please don't insert them in my mouth. Of course looting is wrong, and maybe you are in communication with looters, but I never heard anyone make such argument.

Now, go play a human shield already.

Looting and vandalism is wrong at every level, I only tried to say that material goods are not worth losing your life over, but clearly you disagree, so feel free to do as you wish.
Insurance NEVER makes you whole again. People have put time, sweat and tears into building their business, only to have it destroyed by a roving bunch of morons who barely have the brain capacity to blow their own nose.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:17 PM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Those causing property damage/ destruction and looting over the past week are targeting retail and symbols, not private residences. Most people do not keep things of sentimental value in their retail establishments.

( No doubt there are some anecdotal instances).

A shelter for homeless animals is a highly unlikely target.

Junkies looking for drugs will look anywhere for medication or other items of value that can be sold.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:22 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
New York Times writer Nikole Hannah-Jones claimed during a Tuesday interview with CBS News that “destroying property which can be replaced is not violence” and subsequently lashed out at a conservative publication after they quoted her.
Dear Rioters,

The New York Times headquarters building is located at 620 Eighth Avenue, at West 41st Street, in Manhattan. Please demonstrate your non-violent nature by destroying their property, in a non-violent way, so that Ms. Hannah-Jones can be proven correct that her employer's property can, indeed, be replaced.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:36 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree. People need to be honest.

When people are murdered, assaulted, raped, when businesses are looted, when cars and buildings are set fire, and when honest citizens are terrified to even be in the same county, we don’t have a protest, we have an out-of-control mob, rioting and pillaging.

One idiot cop killed an innocent man, and now we all have to pay. I am sick and tired of it.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:39 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Dear Rioters,

The New York Times headquarters building is located at 620 Eighth Avenue, at West 41st Street, in Manhattan. Please demonstrate your non-violent nature by destroying their property, in a non-violent way, so that Ms. Hannah-Jones can be proven correct that her employer's property can, indeed, be replaced.
Lol, they might be as surprised as CNN was that all their virtue signaling doesn’t matter to the people they’ve incited to riot.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:40 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
And it is amazing, but not surprising, such leftists give zero thought to the increases in insurance rates and out of pocket costs (that deductible is usually pretty high).

They also give zero thought if the business will even be able to operate, many small businesses lease and the building owner may just not decide to repair, or sell and the new owner not renew a lease, or there may be a customer void and no one shows up any more.

But hey, it is just property. Well, if it is just property, then why would any of the rioters care to take the time and effort to steal and destroy it?
Those in areas heaviest hit will likely see their premiums soar, regardless if their property and/ or business was impacted.

On the flip side, ( not making it equivalent) tens of millions of drivers have or will receive a rebate of a portion of their auto insurance Premiums because Stay at Home orders reduced traffic, thus accidents.

Insurance, in one form or another, goes back thousands of years. All insurance socializes ( mutualizes) risk.
Some insurance companies are owned entirely by policy holders. Some are privately owned. And some are publicly- traded. All are regulated at the state level. No two states have the same regulations.

Going back to the OP’s link, the goof ball journalist chose to take exception to Obama’s use of the term “ violence” and split hairs, personal injury vs crimes against property. I think her point was Floyd is dead and has no opportunity to recover. She ignores how many incremental injuries and deaths have happened as a result of the aftermath.

Damaging/ destroying property is serious criminal activity.

Looting are crimes of opportunity and/ or targeted organized crime- people seeking to profit off Floyd’s death.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
I guess you missed the story about looters setting an complex on fire with a child inside...then BLOCKED the firefighters from rescuing her. Luckily they found another way to get to her.

I'm sure there are many more stories like this.
Yes I missed it. Where did this happen?

As horrible as it must have been, the anarchists, arsonists and looters , animals, have primarily targeted retail and monuments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies