Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 02:26 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Seems to me the focus of BLM is limited to fighting systemic racism,
How did you decide that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 02:28 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Seems to me the focus of BLM is limited to fighting systemic racism
mission accomplished, then. there is no such thing.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:49 PM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You still have to pay the deductible and do without your car for a period of time, etc.
Insurance only covers the wholesale value of the car. Most people are upside down and owe more than the car is worth. They are without a car and still owe the bank thousands.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:54 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Best I can tell this building is in the Carver neighborhood, adjacent to downtown, Richmond. This area is undergoing some major gentrification which makes it a ripe target for those who hijacked the protests.

Minneapolis and other cities experienced similar situations where fire trucks were challenged to get to fires because the crowds refused to move.

I am going to hold with my perception, residences are not the primary targets of the animals who have hijacked the protests.

I wonder what the officer who knelt on Floyd’s neck was thinking about for 8 minutes.

I wonder what the officers who watched were thinking about for 8 minutes.

And I wonder what the animals who set this and other fires were thinking about when they set off fires.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Here in Charleston bricks were thrown at windows where diners were sitting.

It was dangerous and not just about corporate damage, institutions and monuments.

But that's the thing....the 'looting, fires, vandalism' -- isn't about making a statement...it's just criminal activity.

It shouldn't be seen as part and parcel of the real protests for change.
And it has nothing to do with Floyd.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:00 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Someone should burn down her house and destroy her car, and then ask if she still feels like it was no big deal.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:00 PM

2,450 posts, read 972,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
This is how civilization collapses.
The cracks have been showing for quite some time. Honestly, if Trump had not soundly beaten Clinton in 2016 we would have seen a continuation of disastrous social and economic practices that would have accelerated the process greatly.

Thank God for sending us Donald J. Trump.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:11 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post

The people who are claiming that property destruction is not violence are doing their own damage control. They know that there are countless videos of massive destruction and arson. They can't possibly deny it. So instead, they are playing word games so they can keep up their ridiculous premise that these protests are peaceful. Everything is an abstraction to them.

If I were involved in one of these protests, the first day that anything violent happened, I would not protest again. It would be abundantly clear that bad actors or terrorists are using the protests as cover. At this point, those who continue to protest are providing ample cover for riots, and we have to ask why.

And those of us in affected areas are living in a state of terror. Last night was the first full night of sleep I had--but only because the prior two nights I was up most of the night literally shaking because of what was happening near me. People who say this are also trying to chip away at any sense of decency or morality. Piece by piece, bit by bit, like our cities are being destroyed this past week.
Wow, I’m sorry this is so close to your home. I hope you are safe tonight, and these things run out of fuel. I don’t understand how this can be allowed to happen night after night.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
This is exactly the type of moron that probably considers speech she doesn’t like ‘violence’
OMG so true! Let's get the definition of "violence" from the left. An official statement would be nice.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:44 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mya Myers View Post
I agree.
Anger is the enemy. We all have had the lockdown to deal with all over the world, and this has impacted everyone in some form or way. This only adds more wood to the fire for those affected by the riots. There are ways to go about getting your voice heard. The news of George Floyd spread worldwide, everyone from all races got together to stand against the injustice. Then what in the deck was the need to start all this rioting and affect innocent people and their property? How many injured as a result of it? Or even lost their lives..
I know, it’s so useless. Someone described them as zombie like. I could understand one night, but it goes on for days and days, and that is not right. The message is lost, and George Floyd is buried. Yesterday they had Floyd’s funeral in my hometown of Houston. It was nice and very peaceful, but then the kids went running around committing vandalism for no reason. How do you think that makes the Floyd family feel? Who would want the name of their brother or son or father be synonymous with riots and destruction and loss of life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies