Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 06:33 PM

11,102 posts, read 10,657,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So Rush Limbaugh has been on the air since 1988. I don't think there is one single person in the history of the US who has ever been responsible for so much damage.

When he started out, he was the kind of funny that when you heard his show you'd laugh because you couldn't believe what you were hearing. So outrageous that it was shocking/funny. And just plain old funny was his Spatula City hoax, which still makes me laugh. I mean really, these women who would call his show saying they were driving around and where exactly was Spatula City? I'm sorry, that's just funny I don't care who you are.

And then his detractors called him misogynistic, and he laughed about that and told the women in the audience that if they desired to call in and participate in his radio show, they'd have to send a photo of themselves ahead of time and when they called in the staff would decide if they were good-looking enough to take the woman's call. His office was FLOODED with pictures of women. Now that's just funny, and puts people on notice that if you're a detractor, you're not going to win.

Fast forward to the election of 2008. Hilary Clinton and Obama were in the democratic primary. Rush believed that Obama could not defeat McCain but Hilary probably could, so he amassed an army of "primary jumpers" to vote in the democratic party for Obama, instead of voting in their own republic party, and that's the margin that gave Obama the slot to run against, and despite Limbaugh's beliefs, beat McCain.

Then. Leading up to the primaries in the election of 2016, Trump would NOT have won the primary had Limbaugh not been 4-square in his court, sanitizing and excusing the outrageous things Trump was saying and doing, most notably mocking the disabled reporter. Had Limbaugh, who is incredibly persuasive and smooth, not paved the way for Trump, we wouldn't be here where we are. With this absolute buffoon as a president.

Wondering if, in fact, Trump has brought down the Great American Experiment.

NOTE: I did all this strictly from memory, as a long-time listener, so please excuse me if some of the finer details are inaccurate.
If you are going to blame this on Limbaugh, you should also call out the rest of the media. CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc. have all become political propaganda machines.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:36 PM

35,520 posts, read 17,792,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If you are going to blame this on Limbaugh, you should also call out the rest of the media. CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc. have all become political propaganda machines.
I don't think all those media sources are as effective as Limbaugh.

And also, you've got media on both sides of the issues listed there, so that kind of cancels out. If you're going to blame for-profit newstainment for causing destruction, well, at least they seem to be in equilibrium.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:42 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,338,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Limbaugh is a cancer to American discourse, and soon he will eat himself into darkness.
Trump said Limbaugh had Stage 4 cancer at the State of the Union in early Feb. why is Limbaugh still alive!

Old 06-03-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Trump said Limbaugh had Stage 4 cancer at the State of the Union in early Feb. why is Limbaugh still alive!
He does have cancer, and is undergoing treatment, and the night of the State of the Union address he appeared completely stupified.

I listen to his show when I'm in the car (and that's not so often at this point), but he misses a lot of days on air and has to call in some very supportive stand ins at the last minute when he's not well enough to work.

And his illness is what made me think about this, today. He was on air, but was apologizing for missing recently, and thanked everyone for their continued good wishes and support. He's facing his mortality, and may not live to see the destruction he has wrought come to fruition. IMHO.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Brody View Post
Have you, your side, ever thought about just calming down and stop over reacting over everything? Your side was telling Republicans to sit the hell down and shut up when the first biracial man was elected POTUS in 2008 and now here you all are foaming at the mouth. Maybe your side should seek some professional help to get your emotions and fears in check.
Maybe you should stick to the topic of the thread.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:49 PM

11,102 posts, read 10,657,231 times
Quote:
I don't think all those media sources are as effective as Limbaugh.

And also, you've got media on both sides of the issues listed there, so that kind of cancels out. If you're going to blame for profit newstainment for causing destruction, well, at least they seem to be in equilibrium.
I'd say the mainstream media is far more effective than Rush, actually. Rush has a radio show. By definition, radio (audio only) is less of an effective medium than television (audio and video). Not only that, but in most markets Rush is only on the AM dial. Not exactly a great reach there.

The mainstream media has shown their effectiveness quite well. They convinced a large portion of the country that a pasty white kid was antagonizing people of color, after all. Do you think the reaction to Trump winning the election would have been so dramatic had the MSM not told the world that Hillary was a sure thing?

As for media on both sides, there is one major network that leans to the right. There are a couple of minor networks that do so as well, but there aren't nearly the number of right-leaning networks as there are left-leaning. Considering how many network executives are related to high profile leftists, it isn't surprising.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
He does have cancer, and is undergoing treatment, and the night of the State of the Union address he appeared completely stupified.

I listen to his show when I'm in the car (and that's not so often at this point), but he misses a lot of days on air and has to call in some very supportive stand ins at the last minute when he's not well enough to work.

And his illness is what made me think about this, today. He was on air, but was apologizing for missing recently, and thanked everyone for their continued good wishes and support. He's facing his mortality, and may not live to see the destruction he has wrought come to fruition. IMHO.
Oh, I sure hope the creep, Limbaugh, lives long enough in his hospital bed to see Trump defeated!!

Old 06-03-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I'd say the mainstream media is far more effective than Rush, actually. Rush has a radio show. By definition, radio (audio only) is less of an effective medium than television (audio and video). Not only that, but in most markets Rush is only on the AM dial. Not exactly a great reach there.

The mainstream media has shown their effectiveness quite well. They convinced a large portion of the country that a pasty white kid was antagonizing people of color, after all. Do you think the reaction to Trump winning the election would have been so dramatic had the MSM not told the world that Hillary was a sure thing?

As for media on both sides, there is one major network that leans to the right. There are a couple of minor networks that do so as well, but there aren't nearly the number of right-leaning networks as there are left-leaning. Considering how many network executives are related to high profile leftists, it isn't surprising.
The MSM told the world that Hillary was a sure thing, because people lied about who they were voting for in the polls. I guess because they were ashamed to be voting for Trump, so they lied.

Same thing happened with Obama. Exit polls showed him to be winning by a greater margin in a lot of areas than he actually won; because people lied and said they voted for him when they hadn't.

Conservatives lying and saying they were voting liberal in both cases.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:55 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,496,315 times
Rush is simply the standard of the industry--in broadcasting. He wields immense power and has an incredibly large audience.

And when Rush speaks, I usually agree with what he's saying. Because he speaks with a great deal of common sense.

I see the long list of candidates that attempted to get the democratic presidential nomination for 2020. There's not a normal person amongst that bunch. Democrats ought to be ashamed they cannot come up with one decent candidate. Biden's certainly not one, as his best years are long in his rear view mirror.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Rush is simply the standard of the industry--in broadcasting. He wields immense power and has an incredibly large audience.

And when Rush speaks, I usually agree with what he's saying. Because he speaks with a great deal of common sense.

I see the long list of candidates that attempted to get the democratic presidential nomination for 2020. There's not a normal person amongst that bunch. Democrats ought to be ashamed they cannot come up with one decent candidate. Biden's certainly not one, as his best years are long in his rear view mirror.
I almost always disagree with what Limbaugh says, but I respect his enormous talent. And it saddens me to hear how often he says he wishes his father were alive to see his incredible success; when his father passed away, Limbaugh was floundering and had rejected his father's pleas to go to college. So that's sad.

And I agree with the bolded. In that enormous field of Democratic hopefuls, there was not ONE person I could get behind. Like, a John Kasich in the Republican Primary of 2016. Just a normal, respectable leader who would make a good president. Not flashy, but suited to the job. Someone the democratic party could all agree to support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies