Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 08:20 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times

Advertisements

There is such a fine line into what Brees and others say with regards to kneeling.

I understand the backlash from the black community regarding Brees's words and feelings about taking a knee during the anthem. I think it's been made clear that the kneeling has absolutely nothing to do the the American flag or military. (Intent).

On the flip side, why then must kneeling be done during the anthem? The National Anthem specifically respects the country and those who fought for freedom, so stepping on those toes so-to-speak by kneeling during the anthem can be construed as disrespectful to the country, intent or not. Personally, I feel the kneeling and it's message must be put out there, but I simply question why was during the anthem the choice to protest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 08:23 AM

1,781 posts, read 955,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I am not calling him a racist, so let's get that off the table first. In fact I'm not making ANY comment about his racial views.

What I did see though, was his very first comment suggested that Kap was "disrespecting the flag". I think Drew is a good guy, and probably did not mean any ill-intent, but that is either a false statement, or shows a lack of understanding as to what Kap was doing.

People STILL DON"T UNDERSTAND that Kap was protesting in RESPECT of the flag. He was taking a knee because he believes in what the flag stands for, and wants it to stand for ALL Americans.

So Drew will, and should get some flack for that part of his comment. The rest of what he said seems pretty reasonable.

People need to quit mischaracterizing support of American values FOR ALL as disrespecting the flag.
Wrong, the proper etiquette to show RESPECT for the flag while the National Anthem is playing is to face the flag and stand at attention with your right hand over your heart. THAT is how you show respect for our flag.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:26 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Wrong, the proper etiquette to show RESPECT for the flag while the National Anthem is playing is to face the flag and stand at attention with your right hand over your heart. THAT is how you show respect for our flag.
Kap was standing up for what the flag stands for. If you deny unaliable rights to certain Americans, then I don't see how that can be seen as "respecting the flag".

Maybe you have a point (I don't think so, but that's my opinion), but I don't see how you can ignore the point that Kap was making.

And also, MANY military leaders came to his defense, actually saying that taking a knee is in fact a sign of respect, so I'm not so sure you are correct.

I DO understand the point people are trying to make, and I do believe it (standing for the flag) comes from a good place, but in this case, I think it is misguided, and it misses the much bigger point. Again, just my opinion.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:28 AM

8,331 posts, read 2,962,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Okay. First of you want to talk climate what do you think Colin went through when the POTUS was calling him out and cheerleading for him to get tossed out of the NFL? He had 40 percent of the nation hating him and not just counting NFL fans.

Colin's career was far from over. Look at his last season. 16-4 TD/Int ratio. He had a 90.7 QBR. Good for 17th best in the NFL. He was replaced by Blaine Gaebert who stunk it up ( as usual) with s 5/6 TD/Int ration and a 70 QBR. And Blaine NO TRICK Gaebert is still in the NFL despite never being any good. If you are any kind of NFL fan you know he had enough talent to hang on for many more years if not get back on top.
Who cares. No team wants him for 3+ years now. Good riddance. He can go take a knee elsewhere. Take both knees. He’s a punk.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:29 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
The Left and MEDIA (same thing) has indoctrinated much of the public into believing America is a horrible place. The actual FACT is that even our poor people and minority poor people have a MUCH higher standard of living, safety, security and comforts than anywhere else in the world. So Boo Hoo to these Progressive Virtue Signalers that think it is so awful.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Kap was standing up for what the flag stands for. If you deny unaliable rights to certain Americans, then I don't see how that can be seen as "respecting the flag".

Maybe you have a point (I don't think so, but that's my opinion), but I don't see how you can ignore the point that Kap was making.

And also, MANY military leaders came to his defense, actually saying that taking a knee is in fact a sign of respect, so I'm not so sure you are correct.

I DO understand the point people are trying to make, and I do believe it (standing for the flag) comes from a good place, but in this case, I think it is misguided, and it misses the much bigger point. Again, just my opinion.

Whatever floats your boat. There are written rules of US flag etiquette but no one says you have to follow them. Just don't try to tell us that kneeling while our National Anthem is playing and our flag is displayed is showing respect for our flag because IT.IS.NOT.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:31 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
he apologized.. there it is, but a little too late and not understanding the point at all.

Drew Brees apologizes for comments about kneeling protests: 'I stand with the black community'
https://sports.yahoo.com/drew-brees-...124049826.html

Old 06-04-2020, 08:33 AM

8,331 posts, read 2,962,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
It's okay to kneel during an NFL game. It's a peaceful way of protesting than the looting and garbage right now. Get over it.
I paid to watch a football game, not their political expression forced on me. I can watch the looting and rioting for free.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:36 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
Brees subsequent apology is evidence of his integrity and grace. Trump could learn from him.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Brees subsequent apology is evidence of his integrity and grace. Trump could learn from him.
Oh good grief. He shouldn't have apologized. He said nothing wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies