Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 09:04 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,558,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
What does any of that have to do with this arrest and murder?

Not a damn thing. I could see if he was on a violent spree through the city but that wasn’t the case.
Even if he was, it wouldn't be a reason to continue choking him for several minutes AFTER he was unconscious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 09:04 AM

2,949 posts, read 1,355,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yes it matters. I think it underscores a major issue no one wants to acknowledge now. This issue is the reality that these neighborhoods where this type of incident happen in are always ghettos. These ghettos are filled with angry criminalistic people who detest authorities, hold society in contempt and harbor an intense racism towards White people. They have zero interest in their communities being changed or cleaned up. What they want is to be left as they are along with being given more government handouts.

The point I am trying to make is that it is impossible to enforce the law in these communities and not have violent conflict with these people. I am not saying those officers did not do wrong nor am I saying they should not be charged. What they did is shocking. I think though we should realize however that many officers in these communities become hard simply because they deal with nothing but trash day in and day out. Yes I said ghetto people are trash.....they are. They are parasites on our society. They live the way they do by choice. Most black people do not live like that so I am confused on why this is so important to most black people. Why do black people who live normal middle class lives sympathize with these hateful criminals who give all black people a bad name? Why? I’ll never understand that. These young white protesters would not last a minute in their local ghetto. The thugs would kill them.

This brings me to a question I’ve got for the protest crowd. What are your demands? Do you want to stop policing these neighborhoods and let these people just do what they do? Leave the crime in those areas unattended? Policing these areas will lead to more violent conflicts between police and black criminals so what do you want?

George Floyd was a criminal and not a good citizen. This is a fact...like it or not.
Winner post! Well said, danielj72.

George's death = NHI (no humans involved). I'd feel the same way if George was white or any other color.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:05 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Does it matter to you that Chauvin has his own checkered past when it comes to acceptable behavior?

Derek Chauvin, the Minneapolis police officer arrested in the death of George Floyd, opened fire on two people during his 19-year career. Eighteen conduct complaints were filed against him, two of which resulted in reprimands...

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...neapolis-floyd
But that’s different.

Yes, I’m using sarcasm.

Thread should’ve ended after your post.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:06 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We don't sanction murder because people are not "good citizens". He had a criminal history and he served time for his offenses, that does not mean he gets a target on his forehead and it's open season for anyone who wants to to kill him.

Being arrested or having a criminal record is more common in the US than you might think:

That leaves you with a lot of people who you think deserve to die, doesn't it? I wonder how many of them you have actually met who just never bothered to tell you about their past. And given that blacks are about 13% of our population those figures indicate that not only black men get arrested or go to jail
I never said anyone deserved to die. Also you have a very emotional based argument here (as most leftists do) You think it’s not fair.....the poor criminals. They made choices and those choices have consequences. Once you’ve committed a serious crime like armed robbery then society deserves to be protected from your criminal nature. Let’s keep in prospective the difference between the youthful indiscretion type of crime like drinking and driving or smoking pot that many Americans do have on their records vs a true hardened criminal who breaks into houses or businesses. Big difference and you know it.

You also did not answer any of my questions but cherry picked the post to get an emotionally charged zinger in.

I’ll ask again? What should be done? How would you police these ghettos? Do you even expect them to conform to societies laws? If you do how would you make them follow the law if you do not like policing?

Old 06-04-2020, 09:08 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Feelings on this topic do not have to be one-dimensional. People can be absolutely outraged over the way Floyd died and still feel that his criminal lifestyle contributed to it.
Hey! We get to agree on something!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-04-2020, 09:10 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Feelings on this topic do not have to be one-dimensional. People can be absolutely outraged over the way Floyd died and still feel that his criminal lifestyle contributed to it.
^^^^This. Can't rep you again.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:11 AM

445 posts, read 168,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Once he is in cuffs and secured, the need for that kind of force is over. Look, George Floyd was a violent criminal and a trash human being. But still a human being. This is NOT OK for police to do that a person in custody that is no longer a threat. (Now if he were a child molester, quite honestly I would manage to look the other way-but that's just me).

These kinds of incidents are incredibly rare, and need to remain so.
If he was fighting with them BEFORE he was in handcuffs, how are they supposed to know he wasn't going to continue to fight with them once he was in handcuffs? I've seen people in handcuffs kick out police car windows. The knee against the neck was wrong. Was it racially motivated though? There's nothing to indicate that it was.

And why aren't the protesters practicing social distancing?

Old 06-04-2020, 09:12 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

I’ll ask again? What should be done? How would you police these ghettos? Do you even expect them to conform to societies laws? If you do how would you make them follow the law if you do not like policing?

Did this occur in a ghetto?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-04-2020, 09:14 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
No, it does not matter. He was tortured and murdered by a cop. Full stop.
I am trying to figure out why I should feel THAT badly about a criminal who very probably committed many more crimes for which he was never caught. A leopard does not change its spots.

George Floyd was the kind of person that law-abiding citizens want off the streets. He was the kind of person that cause people to have to move to a different neighborhood to feel safe and stay away from that element in society.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:17 AM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Not a fan of people with a rap sheet but that to me is a separate issue. The man died completely and utterly in a way that was no where near acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies