Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2020, 11:32 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Really?
did not know. I might have done the same thing, since some counterfeits are very clever. I can see why Floyd might have been bewildered by the arrest if he truly did not know the bill was counterfeit.
RCIC and NCIC are just 2 of several databases available to law enforcement agents.
The Regional Crime Information Center might be a single State, like Virginia was, or several States, like Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. In the late 1990s, Michigan joined Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky.
The NCIC is country-wide.
Those two, plus others, provide the entire criminal history of an individual.
That includes arrests for which there were no prosecutions, active/inactive warrants, dates/locations of incarceration, probation/parole status, and a categorization.
The categorization might be "Repeat Offender", "Major Offender", Major Violent Offender", "Armed/Dangerous" and a few others.
"Major" in that context means felony arrests/convictions, not misdemeanor arrests/convictions.
When I was on the road, it was taboo to run someone without a legitimate reason to do so.
Now, it's considered good-policing.
When a cop rolls up behind you, I guarandamntee you he's running your plates.
The entire criminal history of the person to whom the vehicle is registered will appear on-screen.
If that person has an history of drug or burglary offenses, the police will probably lie and find a reason to pull you over to search the vehicle.
That is absurd.
  • While the car is moving the cop wants to know if the vehicle has current reg and if it's been reported stolen.
  • Until the car is stopped, knowing who the vehicle is registered to doesn't mean very much because people frequently drive cars that aren't registered to them (i.e. I drive my husband's car as much as I drive mine)
  • After the vehicle is stopped the officer will ascertain if the driver is legally licensed and will usually run a warrants check.
  • If they have reason to do so they might check locally to see if the driver is on probation or parole.
  • Knowing the individuals criminal history is not usually even relevant and it does NOT give the officer the authority to pull you over or search you.
But don't take my word for it, ask a local cop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 11:44 AM

2,066 posts, read 900,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
You think the officer who killed George Floyd knew any of that when he had his knee on his neck that justified it.

Certainly possible, if they worked together at that night club and he recognized him (though, with so much conflicting information being thrown at us, it's hard to know what to believe). If I understand your comment.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:49 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Yes, of course.
Cops have to deal with psychopaths and sociopaths like Floyd every day of their careers.
They should not have to because these sociopaths should not exist in large numbers.
That they have to means that techniques get developed to deal with them, for when these sociopaths become violent or resist arrest.
Because it is not an obligation that officers tolerate their lives being in danger.
When these techniques have bad outcomes, it is pertinent that they would not be used if the sociopaths were not violent.
Which is pertinent to the scapegoating media narrative of the police officers.
Are you serious?
lol one out of 5 CEO's are psychopaths.

Certainly some criminals are sociopaths or psychopaths, but most psychopaths aren’t criminals. Many of them have very successful lives and use their personality traits to get what they want at the expense of the rest of us. Sociopathic criminals usually think they can talk their way out of being arrested, when they can't they might get violent but they usually try talking first.

You know who is really scary when confronted? Drunks. Booze contributes to violence by limiting drinkers' perceived options during a conflict, heightening their emotional state, reducing their fear of sanctions, and limiting their ability to talk their way out of trouble. Sort of makes you wonder why alcohol is legal, huh?

Old 06-05-2020, 12:13 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That isn't American media, and it's more of a gossip site. At least it reports.
And where do you think it gets its information? New York Post, New York Times, Washington Post, etc. etc. etc. etc. A quick Google search will give you all that information in the Daily Mail's digest.

Quote:
I might have done the same thing, since some counterfeits are very clever. I can see why Floyd might have been bewildered by the arrest if he truly did not know the bill was counterfeit.
Well, duh. How many people scrutinize their bills before the stuff them in their wallets?

Quote:
If they're convicted of a 2nd felony offense, they go to a holding facility, get stripped of citizenship and deported.
And where do you suppose they should be deported to? Australia is already taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
They should not have to because these sociopaths should not exist in large numbers.
Then they shouldn't be cops.

Quote:
That they have to means that techniques get developed to deal with them, for when these sociopaths become violent or resist arrest.
So, after cuffing someone on the ground, is suffocation next on the list for "dealing" with people?

Old 06-05-2020, 12:19 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The initial reporting on Floyd had people saying what a Saint he was, trying to get kids out of violence and gangs and drugs, saying he was just an all around wonderful person.

The truth didnt fit the narrative which was aimed at further demonizing what the cop did. Which of course was totally wrong but the facts of Floyd's history didnt work for the media goal.

That being to get things whipped up.. But regardless of whether Floyd was a varmint or not the cop murdered him. Yea, Floyd was a varmint but he didnt really need or deserve killing .

Especially like the way he was killed.
How do you get that? No indicating that he had any trouble with the law during the decade he lived in MN. The reports of him working on the youth appear to be accurate. And he apparently worked at times at least as a bouncer in a bar...a legal occupation.

Not going to claim he was a saint but he apparently had some good aspects. So no reason his old records from TX are an appropriate reason to find him wanting.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:26 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
How do you get that? No indicating that he had any trouble with the law during the decade he lived in MN. The reports of him working on the youth appear to be accurate. And he apparently worked at times at least as a bouncer in a bar...a legal occupation.

Not going to claim he was a saint but he apparently had some good aspects. So no reason his old records from TX are an appropriate reason to find him wanting.

I laughed when someone said a leopard doesn't change their spots.

I am fine upstanding citizen in my 50s, not so much in my teens and 20s. It was by sheer luck I didn't get busted for cocaine possession.

Now I garden, crochet and sew and travel with a 5th wheel, no longer the wild child of my youth.

People change ALL the time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-05-2020, 12:27 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Not really. He could have had no record at all before passing the twenty, being drugged up sitting behind the wheel of a vehicle, and resisting arrest and it still would have played out the same.

But if he had really gotten his life together as his family says, he would not have had contact with these officers in the first place.
You do realize that you've probably passed counterfeit money in your life, right?

Sammy's own Treasury Department says there are 70 million fake bills in circulation.

I've personally received counterfeit money from banks before. Do you know what that means? I was SOL.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:30 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
He was charged with and sentenced to aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon. He was given low term which is 5 years. If they had pursued a longer sentence he most likely would have insisted on going to trial. A plea bargain gives the defendant a lower term and saves the people of the state from paying for a long and protracted trial. https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D.../htm/PE.29.htm
Which releases him into society where he is free to endanger someone else..........Knowing the punishment is not very severe......

Old 06-05-2020, 12:30 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You do realize that you've probably passed counterfeit money in your life, right?

Sammy's own Treasury Department says there are 70 million fake bills in circulation.

I've personally received counterfeit money from banks before. Do you know what that means? I was a SOL.
We found a counterfeit $5. bill once in one of the store registers, it was VERY GOOD quality, but after some looking, you could see it was fake.

We called police, they came and looked at it, but didnt file a report or take the bill, apparently if its under a $20 bill, they do not report it! They told us to just put it in with the regular deposit and let the bank deal with it.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:31 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If the media didn't mention it, how is it that you came up with a link to a news article about it?

D'oh!
It came from another country..........it is almost impossible to get the whole story from the Media in America.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies