Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 06:35 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I keep hearing political and societal leaders saying that we, the country as a whole, needs to have an uncomfortable conversation about racism. Of course this usually comes about after a black dies while resisting arrest. But I say; Where is the uncomfortable conversation about don't break the law and if you do, don't resist arrest when you get caught?

Nearly every one of the BLM heroes died as a result of them resisting arrest. Had they simply complied with lawful orders from the cops, they would still be around today. Maybe in jail, but they'd still be alive. Their actions directly contributed to their deaths. Even Chris Rock did a funny, albeit very truthful, video on "How not to get your *ss kicked by the police". It should be played as a public service bulletin.

Use the courts to fight; not your body. Cooperate and the situation defuses. Fight and it just escalates. One might have to swallow some pride, but at least you get to go home (or to jail) at the end of the day.

I remember that Chris Rock video and it was a good one. You don't have to kiss the cops butt but being civil and respectful goes a long way to escalating tensions.

In so many cases where Police have roughed up or shot a suspect it is because that suspect fought back.

The case of Michael Brown instantly comes to mind. If he had just moved off the street and not repeatedly attacked the cop he would still be alive.

How about Treyvon Martin? He would still be alive today if he hadn't stopped to jump that Zipperhead guy and instead just went home.

The more recent case of Ahmaud Arbery is beyond resisting arrest but shows that if 2 guys are pointing guns at you it is probably best not to attack them and give them a reason to pull the triggers. If Arbery didn't lunge at that one guy they would have held him for the Police. The Police might have arrested him, the judge would have let him go even if he was guilty of breaking into the homes he would have been given a slap on the wrist.

The common theme of all the Police shootings is that the cops were called in the first place. I have never had the cops called on me. I don't commit crimes. It really is pretty simple.

The problem is of course is that when the cops are called on a black guy I do think the cops come in with a bit of an edge, ready to do battle, that they would not have if it was an average white guy.

I believe that many cops are afraid of young black guys. They are strong and can give them a lot of problems if they choose to resist. I think many black guys have a chip on their shoulder and a hate for the cops that adds to that chip.

In the case of Floyd it was murder because he was already down, cuffed and under control. A simple hand on his back or grasping his wrist would have served to stop him from struggling. Still if he was not doing something in the first place that had the shop keeper calling the cops we would all be saying what many of the looters are saying today "Floyd who?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 06:36 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
A lot of blacks are taught to be defiant of all authority, especially whites, which is why many shun education, cause disruptions in class and bully any other black kid who dares to try in school. Attempt to enforce any rule and you will be met with a violent 10 on 1 mob attack. Teachers are told to shut up and pass them or lose their jobs.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:36 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Word. Not only that. but if he had as many health conditions as they claim contributed to his death, it's unlikely he had the strength to "resist" to any extent anyway. The police can't have both scenarios at the same time. Either he was strong and fighting them or he was sick and died from his bad health - pick one.

Again,

No place in the OP's post did he mention George Floyd.

If you take the time to actually read and process what the OP is saying, it's pretty clear that he's speaking in general terms..

Old 06-04-2020, 06:39 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
What does race have to do with it?

Old 06-04-2020, 06:52 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What does race have to do with it?

It shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Resisting arrest is a stupid thing for anyone to do.

You are unnecessarily putting yourself and the police and possibly innocent bystanders at a greater risk of injury or death.

And it's not like the cop is going to let you go, no matter how much you complain, explain or physically resist..

But the fact is that blacks are culturally more likely to publicly flaunt illegal behavior, be belligerent and disrespectful to police and physically resist arrest than other people.

So......that's what race has to do with it.

Unpleasantly politically incorrect?

Maybe.

But it is what it is.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:19 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Resisting arrest is a stupid thing for anyone to do.

You are unnecessarily putting yourself and the police and possibly innocent bystanders at a greater risk of injury or death.

And it's not like the cop is going to let you go, no matter how much you complain, explain or physically resist..

But the fact is that blacks are culturally more likely to publicly flaunt illegal behavior, be belligerent and disrespectful to police and physically resist arrest than other people.

So......that's what race has to do with it.

Unpleasantly politically incorrect?

Maybe.

But it is what it is.
you can call it "resisting arrest" but its a natural reflex when someone is attempting to harm you by kidnaping, robbing, probing/raping, beating,tazing/electrocuting, shooting...all those tools in a govt cops bag of tricks
Is it wise? Almost never because a cop can pretty much blow your brains out for holding a ham sandwich and come back into work the next day.
Not defending criminals or crimes at all here, but some people are truly unaware that they have commited a crime and will instinctively defend themselves.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:23 AM

2,400 posts, read 755,216 times
Here is an instructional video on an expert on this subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEvM...&feature=share

Old 06-04-2020, 07:27 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I remember that Chris Rock video and it was a good one. You don't have to kiss the cops butt but being civil and respectful goes a long way to escalating tensions.

In so many cases where Police have roughed up or shot a suspect it is because that suspect fought back.

The case of Michael Brown instantly comes to mind. If he had just moved off the street and not repeatedly attacked the cop he would still be alive.

How about Treyvon Martin? He would still be alive today if he hadn't stopped to jump that Zipperhead guy and instead just went home.

The more recent case of Ahmaud Arbery is beyond resisting arrest but shows that if 2 guys are pointing guns at you it is probably best not to attack them and give them a reason to pull the triggers. If Arbery didn't lunge at that one guy they would have held him for the Police. The Police might have arrested him, the judge would have let him go even if he was guilty of breaking into the homes he would have been given a slap on the wrist.

The common theme of all the Police shootings is that the cops were called in the first place. I have never had the cops called on me. I don't commit crimes. It really is pretty simple.

The problem is of course is that when the cops are called on a black guy I do think the cops come in with a bit of an edge, ready to do battle, that they would not have if it was an average white guy.

I believe that many cops are afraid of young black guys. They are strong and can give them a lot of problems if they choose to resist. I think many black guys have a chip on their shoulder and a hate for the cops that adds to that chip.

In the case of Floyd it was murder because he was already down, cuffed and under control. A simple hand on his back or grasping his wrist would have served to stop him from struggling. Still if he was not doing something in the first place that had the shop keeper calling the cops we would all be saying what many of the looters are saying today "Floyd who?".
1) Good news, 2) Bad news:

1) Awesome post! Complete, yet concise, well written, and I agree with everything in it.

https://youtu.be/OEvMc-K8XHY

2) Half of the people reading it will just call you a racist.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:29 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
If people want reform I would offer :

No charge of "resisting arrest" is valid without a charge to be arrested for in the first place !!!

If the only charge is resisting arrest the criminal is the arresting officer violating the persons rights !!!

The cops have the legal authority to detain you temporarily for questioning. Often this leads to the situation being clarified and the person sent on his way. Resist this detention and you can be charged even without a base charge.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:32 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
If people want reform I would offer :

No charge of "resisting arrest" is valid without a charge to be arrested for in the first place !!!

If the only charge is resisting arrest the criminal is the arresting officer violating the persons rights !!!
The bolded is how it works now. If there is a simple resistance - the suspect runs off on foot (car chases are another thing, because they endanger the public), and is arrested with a minor scuffle and some bruises and a scraped knee, but it's found that there is no crime the prosecutor wants to charge the suspect with, the resisting charge goes away also.

That's what I've seen, anyway, and that's as it should be.

Your last sentence, no. You can't charge reasonable cops, who had reasonable suspicion, with a criminal act for making an arrest. No one would be a cop. Cops are hired by the community to step out there, and take control and keep the public safe. We can't be charging them with crimes if they misunderstand a situation and make an arrest of a person who turns out, in a court of law, to be judged not guilty.

That's what civil court is for. Sort that stuff out. And also, complaints on an officer's record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies