Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 06:20 AM

1,134 posts, read 401,970 times

Advertisements

Bowing to pressure amid chants from protesters to defund the LAPD completely, the city council and mayor agree to cut the funding by at least $100 Million.

As you can imagine that didn't go over good with many citizens who worry it will likely reduce the number of officers patrolling, and reduce the number of potential officers who would even WANT to work for the LAPD.

I saw replies on Twitter to the mayor from people who said: "That will eventually mean pulling officers from neighborhoods. So pull them from YOUR neighborhood first."

We'll see how well that goes over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 06:36 AM

16,383 posts, read 10,422,335 times
Herein lies the beauty of federalism. Each state (or city, in this case) can decide for themselves what course to follow, and others can observe and learn from their example. If Los Angeles goes through with this, the rest of the country will find out what will happen when a major city makes dramatic cuts to its police department. Personally, I'm predicting that murder and general mayhem will skyrocket. But who knows? If the police really are the source of all that ails us, maybe this will usher in a new era of peace and love in the City of Angels.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:39 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,375,898 times
You get what you pay for.......

Old 06-04-2020, 06:41 AM

16,951 posts, read 12,513,509 times
Why any cop with any significant source of wealth would want to be a cop in any major city mystifies the hell out of me.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:43 AM

18,402 posts, read 7,026,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRacer View Post
Bowing to pressure amid chants from protesters to defund the LAPD completely, the city council and mayor agree to cut the funding by at least $100 Million.

As you can imagine that didn't go over good with many citizens who worry it will likely reduce the number of officers patrolling, and reduce the number of potential officers who would even WANT to work for the LAPD.

I saw replies on Twitter to the mayor from people who said: "That will eventually mean pulling officers from neighborhoods. So pull them from YOUR neighborhood first."

We'll see how well that goes over.

Gee, what could POSSIBLY go wrong?

(As if LA isn't a big enough sh*t hole as it is now)

Old 06-04-2020, 06:47 AM

24,296 posts, read 17,023,261 times
This will not end well but let them try it.

In my state of MA. they are floating around the ideas of not allowing Police Departments to have riot gear or modified military type vehicles and even disarming the Police. Crazy talk I know but when Elizabeth Warren and Ed Markey are our Senators what would one expect...

Sooo when the Police forces are reduced and the equipment they need is removed or funding is lost what is going to happen when there is a riot or a terrorist attack? I wonder if we will see a step up in vigilante justice in the neighborhoods where the criminals are running the hood?

Only a Liberal would think that it is a good idea to remove the Police from our communities and that would make them safer.

There is a problem with bad cops but it is rare when you think about the millions of good cops across the country that are forced to deal with the dregs of society on a daily basis and they do the right thing.

Let LA try this experiment, it will be interesting but I wouldn't want to live there during it.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:50 AM

17,054 posts, read 14,390,736 times
The people this will hurt the most are the poor who live in higher crime neighborhoods.

This defund the police does nothing more than ensure a Trump landslide. The radical left have lost their minds.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:50 AM

3,404 posts, read 4,444,631 times
Just create a safe haven from police in every city where the cops never patrol, respond to calls, or conduct investigations in (they'd still bust up things like drug and human trafficking). People who want police protection can live outside of the haven, and people who don't can live inside of the haven. Problem solved. Well probably not, but it would be an interesting social experiment. My money is that anyone who had the means to would not live inside the safe haven unless they were criminals.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:51 AM

1,134 posts, read 401,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
.... peace and love in the City of Angels.
There are times when I look at that name and think, "This is not a City of Angels, it's more like a City of Criminals".

There are lots of good people here but there sure are a lot of criminals too. You can watch car thieves and other criminals being chased by the Police almost every day when you watch the news. And sometimes it's two and three times per day.

The horrendous looting we saw in Los Angeles and Santa Monica give you a good idea of what would happen.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:51 AM

4,623 posts, read 1,920,085 times
perhaps they should make it illegal to have private security, if they all believe law enforcement is not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies