Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Writing on the Wall for the Radical Authoritarian Right?
Yes, I believe this will occur in the next decade... 13 23.64%
No, it won't happen. Younger people will bear right as older folks die off... 32 58.18%
Yes, it will happen but the Right will figure out a way to morph into something and act as if the past never happened (ala Tea Party, etc.) 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 08:59 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The trend is quite clear. I was just in three of these states, including a visit to my nephew in rural SC. The whole tone has changed there. The radio commercials were different. The younger people AND even the retirees moving in are moderates - and, god forbid, Democrats.

Florida has held onto GOP Rule by crookedness - there are more registered Dems in the state and soon it will be impossible to cheat the difference.

GA is headed Blue with time - Texas many take another cycle or two, but is clearly trending younger (1 in 3 texans are under-30).....

When these big states (electorally) are reliably blue or purple, is that effectively the end for the radical right? Or does it just stay content with some county rule and state legislatures based on gerrymandering?
I like the question, but in real life I don't think it's the "end." And I don't think you should conflate the GOP, which used to be respectable, with the radical right. I hope that most people, if they were well-informed, would agree most Dem basic goals - health, education, civil liberties, etc. - are good. But the one big advantage that the GOP seems to have is that they're playing the long game, like China does, and they're more willing to cheat. Gerrymandering is a perfect example.

However, if we're lucky, it might be the short-term end for a couple of decades. It would be funny if all the righties who rushed to Trump, not minding that he was so ignorant and unethical, ended up triggering a backlash of a long Dem stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 09:22 PM

4,512 posts, read 1,864,826 times
The writing is on the wall that wild animals, deadbeats, and their brain dead supporters will eventually be the overwhelming majority in this country.

However, the US is not unique in this regard and it’s much more of a worldwide problem.

Just try to enjoy the time we have before it happens. It’s going to be a very rough ride.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:33 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Eventually it will all play out like we have seen in other parts of the world. Dems may take over for a while but then people will get sick of them and go the other way. Unless of course the dems are successful and destroying America and then none of it will matter anyway. If the US get's bad enough you could actually have migration OUT of the US.
Of course, Ohio, Iowa and Missouri were once total purple. They are red states now. Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and the ultimate blue state Minnesota (didn't even vote for Reagan) are trending red. Massachusetts and Maryland are still blue, but have Republican governors.

Look at the 1976 election and then look at 2000. Half the states had switched their allegiance. Those upper midwest and west coast states were Republican. Most of the South was Democrat.

If you think everything moves in one direction, you are ignorant of history and probably let others tell you what to think. Republicans were talking about a permanent presidential majority in the 80s. Democrats thought they permanently owned the House until 1994.

As they said on Battlestar Gallactica, "This has all happened before and it will all happen again."

Old 06-09-2020, 09:39 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
did you not see the 2016 electoral map? hillary couldn't even carry PA, WI, or MI. I would worry about getting those states before you start bragging about all the uppity racist white liberals that are flocking to the south to kick black people out of their homes maybe flipping a state.
West Virginia was the one, if not the, strongest Democratic state in the country when Bill was president. Hillary got 28% of the vote.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:42 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I'm shocked that polls show Trump losing Arizona
With all the wackos out there, how many people are going to tell an anonymous person on the phone they support Trump?

On the other hand, Arizona is the one state most likely to flip to blue. McCain as a well known long time incumbent only had 53.7% when he won reelection in 2014.

All those Californians are fleeing the mess they created.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:51 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I like the question, but in real life I don't think it's the "end." And I don't think you should conflate the GOP, which used to be respectable, with the radical right. I hope that most people, if they were well-informed, would agree most Dem basic goals - health, education, civil liberties, etc. - are good. But the one big advantage that the GOP seems to have is that they're playing the long game, like China does, and they're more willing to cheat. Gerrymandering is a perfect example.

However, if we're lucky, it might be the short-term end for a couple of decades. It would be funny if all the righties who rushed to Trump, not minding that he was so ignorant and unethical, ended up triggering a backlash of a long Dem stretch.
Democrats own the media and are more willing to tell ridiculous lies knowing the media won't expose them. Democrats are gullible enough to believe those lies. Gerrymandering is a perfect example. Gerrymandering was named after a Democratic governor of Massachusetts. There are no two more egregious examples of gerrymandering than the Democrats in Texas 1990 and North Carolina of the 80s/90s and 00s, with their districts snaking around the states.

Harris County (Houston) had to increase its number of precincts from 600 to 1700 to accomodate the Democratic gerrymanders of 1990. My House district was moved about every 2 years as the Democratic redistricting kept getting ruled illegal. As for "voter suppression," I was in the most Republican state House district in Texas in 1980, over 90%. I waited over 2 hours to vote. The line wrapped completely around the elementary school. Lots of people were anxious to vote out Jimmy.

And guess what, Maryland is getting sued over a Democratic gerrymander.

You need to get out of your bubble and realize not everyone thinks just like you. In fact, hard core Democrats (and hard core Republicans) are minorities. About 2/3 of the people think differently than you do if you are either one. But Democrats live in their heavily Democratic neighborhoods and don't realize there are other people.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:57 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
The writing is on the wall that wild animals, deadbeats, and their brain dead supporters will eventually be the overwhelming majority in this country.

However, the US is not unique in this regard and it’s much more of a worldwide problem.

Just try to enjoy the time we have before it happens. It’s going to be a very rough ride.
Generation Z seems to think for themselves more than the Millenials. And the Millenials will eventually have to grow up, move out of their parents' basement and accept responsibility. So they will trend less liberal.

I'm not as pessimissitic as you. The left is starting to eat some of their own, so the mass insanity virus infecting the left may fade just as McCarthyism did when it jumped the shark.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:30 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I'm shocked that polls show Trump losing Arizona
Not me. People in Arizona and all over the country are getting fed up with the nonsense and insanity coming out of Trump. I hopes he keeps busy on his Twitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies