Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Writing on the Wall for the Radical Authoritarian Right?
Yes, I believe this will occur in the next decade... 13 23.64%
No, it won't happen. Younger people will bear right as older folks die off... 32 58.18%
Yes, it will happen but the Right will figure out a way to morph into something and act as if the past never happened (ala Tea Party, etc.) 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 12:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

The trend is quite clear. I was just in three of these states, including a visit to my nephew in rural SC. The whole tone has changed there. The radio commercials were different. The younger people AND even the retirees moving in are moderates - and, god forbid, Democrats.

Florida has held onto GOP Rule by crookedness - there are more registered Dems in the state and soon it will be impossible to cheat the difference.

GA is headed Blue with time - Texas many take another cycle or two, but is clearly trending younger (1 in 3 texans are under-30).....

When these big states (electorally) are reliably blue or purple, is that effectively the end for the radical right? Or does it just stay content with some county rule and state legislatures based on gerrymandering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 12:14 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Well, it depends. I don't think South Carolina will make a big difference due to a relatively small population. South Carolina couldn't do it by itself. It would need to go Democrat in tandem with North Carolina. Georgia and Texas are the two states I would watch.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:14 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,228,591 times
The demographics are not on the side of the Republicans if they do not make some big changes. They're already outnumbered.

For starters they could drop the call for undoing gay marriage from their official platform and embrace that out of a notion of liberty rather than social justice. Then continue with all of the notions of control and conformity the religious right introduced that go against the very idea of liberty.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:16 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
What "radical authoritarian right? If it wasnt premised like a prick an answer may be offered.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:22 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,127 times
Eventually it will all play out like we have seen in other parts of the world. Dems may take over for a while but then people will get sick of them and go the other way. Unless of course the dems are successful and destroying America and then none of it will matter anyway. If the US get's bad enough you could actually have migration OUT of the US.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:25 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,664,288 times
given all the Northerners still moving to the Carolinas I could could certainly see SC going blue before long, as sad as that sounds.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:27 PM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Who knows. WI and MI are drifting red pretty quickly. PA slowly. Ohio has drifted from purple to light red... Yes shrinking states but these are not population 400K farm states. I rather wish I could have seen the 2020 results without Cov 19 and the riots as I think they would have clarified many trends.

Given the evolution of the parties, things may stop, reverse or accelerate. Some of the recent stupidity by Dems lately has turned off some of my center left friends. Certainly not to the point of voting Trump, but I think their desire to vote has drastically dropped. Of course that may in itself, stop, reverse, or accelerate. If things stay the same, 2028 is the more likely year of hard changes.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:28 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
What makes you think any of those will go blue?

Old 06-04-2020, 12:29 PM

273 posts, read 96,621 times
Betting odds are slightly swaying Biden in PA, WIS and AZ but those websites are terrible way to predict. and could be purposely pumped by gamblers for Biden early on to increase Trumps win margins in Nov.

I honestly see the electoral map looking exactly the same this year except maybe for Mich.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:29 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,081 times
I would like to be optimistic and think that there are some people out there that have some common sense.

But I honestly don't see the first Democrat running for election anywhere that has one tiny bit of common sense. And when I see the joint electorate of New York and California re-electing incredibly poor politicians time and time again, it's just difficult to be positive.

And the entire list of democrat candidates running for POTUS hasn't got one person that I'd vote for dog catcher. They're the most embarrassing bunch I've ever seen.

In the meantime, I'll keep staying in my ultra low COL state where life is simple, property taxes are incredibly low and where God is still in the hearts of most people. And as Hank Jr. says, "The country boy can survive."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies