Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 05:51 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Are you British?

Probably a Torie

Old 06-04-2020, 05:52 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I used to live in Georgia. I did work for the state at one time. I would not want a day off if it was dedicated to Robert E. Lee. And I don't see any reason to celebrate him.

And get this. The majority of African-Americans are southerners. The South is where a majority of African-Americans live. I don't see African-Americans saluting Confederates or referring to the Confederate flag as part of their southern heritage. Ask yourself why that it. By the way, come up with a better answer than "Blacks are brainwashed by the left".
Correct, that is where most blacks live. If confederate monuments are so offensive and troublesome, why do most blacks live in the south? Why do we only hear about those monuments at times like this? Ask yourself why that is. It looks like manipulation to me by white progressives to further their agenda, not yours. You are just useful right now.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:55 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yep, well in that time slavery was fairly common, and so they didn't feel it anything to be ashamed of, there is an extensive paper trail of official documents where they proclaim exactly why they're seceding, and (a) slavery, (b) slavery, and (c) slavery round out the important reasons given. There is certainly talk of "states rights", but it's the right to own slaves they are really worried about. There is talk about rights to property being taken away, but it's the right to own human property that they cannot abide losing. There is often talk of betrayal by the Federal government, because they felt slavery was enshrined in the Constitution - which was actually true, but most states wanted that changed, while the South was basically saying slavery was their heritage and they had a right to enjoy that heritage forever. So yeah, it was about slavery.
Indeed. A few of the latecomers to the Confederacy were decidedly half-hearted on the slavery thing and mostly looked to join the winning side - which is understandable, although not very commendable. But the shot-callers in the Confederacy made no attempt to hide the fact that this was about slavery.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And yet you worship traitors who in the 1770s rebelled against the crown.

When are you going to tear down the statues of Washington and his rebels?
Don't even pretend you wouldn't have been a Loyalist. "That tea was private property! These aren't protesters, they're vandals. A firm hand is needed. He's still your King, you know!"

Old 06-04-2020, 05:57 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is the thing. Robert E. Lee isn't banned. He just won't be honored in public. If you want to put a statue of Robert E. Lee on your front lawn, the Constitution gives you that right. There is a difference between not honoring someone in a public space, and banning something. The fact that you love being reactionary says alot about your spiteful mindset.
Disingenuous. What do you think would happen if someone would put a Robert E Lee statue on their property?

Answer: The mob would torch the property.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:03 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Correct, that is where most blacks live. If confederate monuments are so offensive and troublesome, why do most blacks live in the south? Why do we only hear about those monuments at times like this? Ask yourself why that is. It looks like manipulation to me by white progressives to further their agenda, not yours. You are just useful right now.
Consider this. Richmond , where this is taking place, is a majority Black city. Memphis, another majority Black city in the South, got rid of its Nathan Bedford Forrest statue. More Black people do not like these homages to the Confederacy that you know. You're just aren't paying much attention. I pay attention. A majority of Black people view the Confederate flag as a racist symbol.

It isn't just now were are hearing about this. The Confederate monument in Richmond was a controversial issue back in the 1990s. It was just a local story. The Co Confederate flag was a big controversy in Georgia in the late 1990s/early 2000s. I remember. In my high school, racial tensions rose partly because of it.

A majority of Black people live in the South because of the legacy of slavery. Actually, alot of Black people left the South during most of the 20th century. Many Black people started moving to the South again during the 1970s, 80s, and after. However, it wasn't to Mississippi and Alabama. It was to Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, you know, cities where alot of White northerners as well as foreigners moved to. As those places change, more people are calling for Confederate homages to come down.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW DAWG View Post
Don't forget they were disguised as POC to boot. Send em to a reservation where they belong!
Fun bit: The Tea Act lowered the price of tea. The Boston Tea Party was essentially instigated by a bunch of smugglers who saw their profits being undercut by cheap, legal tea.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:06 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
You don't hear about it because you don't listen, the arguments about removing those statues has been going on for a long time, its not something new. As for your statement "why do most blacks live in the south" its because that's where they were when they got freed from slaves. Have you heard of the Great Migration where over 6 million people headed north in search of a better life and to get away from the Jim Crow South? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...rican_American)

Still think its white progressives trying to manipulate something.....

Old 06-04-2020, 06:08 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Disingenuous. What do you think would happen if someone would put a Robert E Lee statue on their property?

Answer: The mob would torch the property.
I'm disingenuous? Nothing I've said was dishonest. I said you have a right to have a Robert E Lee statue on your property. The Constitution guarantees it. It does not guarantee that other people won't react violently to it. Now, said persons have committed a crime and you can defend your property. Just the same, this is what I have to say. Robert E. Lee isn't banned. However, many people hate Robert E. Lee.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:15 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
UGH I thought we were done with white washing history or should I say washing it down for the PC crowd.

You know bad things happened in the past and so did amazing things as well. Name a country in the world that has as much opportunity for all as America. People have lived and died for their beliefs to make this country better than it was yesterday and some people are forgetting this sacrifice.

I don't understand why those Confederate statues are seen as symbols of oppression when they should serve as reminders to us all and especially black people of how far as a society and equality for all we have come since then.

I envision a black man sitting beneath that Robert E Lee statue with his kids and telling them that the man on that horse fought to keep our people as slaves, he was defeated by good people that freed us and now the only thing that will hold you back is your brain.

I can be an optimist sometimes.
Should Germany throw up a Hitler statue or two so Jewish people can have a great inspirational story to tell their kids too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies