Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 04:51 AM

14 posts, read 4,700 times

Advertisements

*Disclaimer* I am an independent voter who fully plans to vote for Biden in the next election or literally anybody who runs against Trump. I have tried to engage with the liberal party since that is how I have mostly voted but there are a number of things that bother me. Here are a few..

1. How is it that liberals have recently said that WORDS can be considered an act of violence but the literal burning of cities, destruction of innocent people's livelihoods and physical attacks from bricks and bottles and fists are not?
I have heard the argument recently from the *woke* crowd and those in academia that words...actual WORDS are a form of violence! I personally find the implications for censorship and freedom of speech very alarming, especially since it's only one side who seems be the arbitrator of which words and which speech is considered violence and which is not. I mean.. either it is a legit concern or it is not! Covid-19 doesn't care about your politics.

Regardless.. I find it incredible that this argument can coexist with many liberals apologizing and defending the violence and the looting that have come from the protests of police brutality that are sweeping the country. I'm not talking about the peaceful protests, I'm talking about burning buildings and preventing fire trucks from responding. I'm talking about mobs viciously beating storeowners trying to protect their livelihoods. I'm talking about people throwing bricks, bottles and attacking people. I have not heard the same crowd who is so certain that MERE WORDS that they don't like are a form of violence condemn these acts and in fact, I have heard then defend and apologize for them!

2. How come a couple of weeks ago it was this huge controversy when we had minor protests over being locked inside for Covid-19 and this was this big deal that was going to get people killed and now that we have protests many ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE greater, nothing is said about this!!

Are the same people who were so concerned about these "selfish" people who were endangering their neighbors not concerned about city streets literally filling up with people on an order of magnitude greater than anything the lockdown protests saw? Do they not care about the threat of THESE people spreading Covid-19 or is it only a concern when people they disagree with do it?

3. Why is wrong for bad cops to discriminate against people of color but OK for the violent protesters to treat any cop in uniform as the enemy and pelt them with bricks, bottles and set fires in precincts where they work? Do they somehow know that they are targeting just the bad cops, do they truly believe that ALL cops are as evil as the one who killed George Floyd or did they just not think this through on any level?

4. Why is there no respect for other people's opinions with liberals? I have always lived by the mantra of Question Everything. With liberals, that seems to be verboten. You can't be skeptical at all about any aspect of climate change, you can't question the premise of white privilege, you can't question what the experts tell you about Covid-19 (even though it changes every five minutes). This is MUCH worse in higher learning. Students are simply NOT being exposed to alternative points of view, they are being indoctrinated and I don't see how that prepares them for the future or how to have a healthy and curious mindset.

Things like these are why I can't fully embrace the liberal party and I run independent. I have yet to hear a good answer or defense of these types of arguments

Last edited by homemaderuminations; 06-04-2020 at 05:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 04:56 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,437,149 times
Quote:
1. How is it that liberals have recently said that WORDS can be considered an act of violence but the literal burning of cities, destruction of innocent people's livelihoods and physical attacks from bricks and bottles and fists are not?
I have heard the argument recently from the *woke* crowd and those in academia that words...actual WORDS are a form of violence! I personally find the implications for censorship and freedom of speech very alarming, especially since it's only one side who seems be the arbitrator of which words and which speech is considered violence and which is not.
Language to a progressive is an infinitely malleable thing. Whatever their cause, they will twist, bend and stretch commonly understood words to support their narrative.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:00 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,518,779 times
I’d like to add on to your post, if you don’t mind:

4. Why did leftist mayor DeBlasio set up a system so that citizens could turn in those not compliant with social distancing, actually saying that “enforcers would arrive” to take care of the problem, and also expressly targeting the Jewish community for their disobedience attending a funeral, yet when black people are looting and destroying property, in large numbers within inches of one another, he asked for “leniency” for these criminals and muzzled his police force from restoring peace?

Old 06-04-2020, 05:06 AM

14 posts, read 4,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I’d like to add on to your post, if you don’t mind:

4. Why did leftist mayor DeBlasio set up a system so that citizens could turn in those not compliant with social distancing, actually saying that “enforcers would arrive” to take care of the problem, and also expressly targeting the Jewish community for their disobedience attending a funeral, yet when black people are looting and destroying property, in large numbers within inches of one another, he asked for “leniency” for these criminals and muzzled his police force from restoring peace?

Excellent point. I guess it is no longer a problem? covid-19 doesn't care! It will spread regardless.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:41 AM

16,565 posts, read 10,665,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homemaderuminations View Post
*Disclaimer* I am an independent voter who fully plans to vote for Biden in the next election or literally anybody who runs against Trump. I have tried to engage with the liberal party since that is how I have mostly voted but there are a number of things that bother me. Here are a few..

A vote for Biden is a vote in favor of all of the issues that you have rightly raised concerns about. Look, I get it, Trump can be a tough pill to swallow. But if you can't bring yourself to pull the lever for him, I would urge you to vote third party, or not vote at all.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:47 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,613,318 times
Quote:
I have heard the argument recently from the *woke* crowd and those in academia that words...actual WORDS are a form of violence! I personally find the implications for censorship and freedom of speech very alarming, especially since it's only one side who seems be the arbitrator of which words and which speech is considered violence and which is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Language to a progressive is an infinitely malleable thing. Whatever their cause, they will twist, bend and stretch commonly understood words to support their narrative.
they stretch and twist it beyond recognition.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions for liberals that I can't wrap my head around...-my-violence-.jpg  

Old 06-04-2020, 06:59 AM

24,532 posts, read 17,277,292 times
You certainly posted some excellent points OP and the conundrum they present is exactly why I have stopped trying to figure out the Loony Liberal Logic. I even put my Liberal Beanie cap away because it was fogging my mind whenever I put it on.

Trump has his faults but it is so much easier to vote for him than any Democrat. At least Trump likes America where when it comes to most Democrats that is questionable.

If you want a clear future for America vote for Trump
If you want the next 4 years to be a mis mash of loony lib ideas, policy and schemes while the media covers for them all then vote for Biden.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:06 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homemaderuminations View Post

I am not liberal, but I think you need to ask the people who made those comments, as opposed to expecting everyone to defend one person's comment. Only one person has said looting is not violence (I do not know if she was liberal or conservative).

Its same ask asking conservatives why they think its OK to pull an AR15 on a peaceful crowd (a Trump supporter did that yesterday).

The obvious answer is "I didn't say it was ok".

Asking questions loaded with insinuations are not honest questions.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:08 AM

7,816 posts, read 6,401,344 times
The specialize in ridiculous arguments, altering definitions to fit their agenda and simply making **** up, that’s why. Just look at your average social science professor.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:09 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,271,822 times
Your questions are based on so many false assumptions. You hear a few opinions from so called liberals and then generalize the whole party saying we all think that way. I don’t think cops should be attacked, most protesters are peaceful. I think people should be wearing masks and social distancing. This is a big tent party with a diversity of people and opinions. The media, especially the right-wing media wile only focus on the extremists as part of their propaganda tactic and make broad generalizations of Liberals. Don’t fall for it.

And also, as an independent, you should have a respect for diversity of opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies