Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 06:55 AM

77,012 posts, read 47,489,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
No I saw the same thing on CNN, actually I saw it there first then went to Fox to see. I always check both to get the two extreme views. They also have decided to remove police from all schools...?
Not sure how you check things, but they are not planning to eliminate the police force, they are looking to change the way it is governed. Whoever used the word 'disband' meant 'overhaul' You should always look at things in context. If you look at the whole comment, it is clear they are talking about an overhaul. See the 2nd link below.

If you are going to re-build, you have to tear down the old structure first, and then build on a fresh foundation.

You've been had. All Trump apologists here fell for FOX fake news, as they always do.

Many questions, few answers, as Minneapolis council takes up proposal to change police oversight

https://www.minnpost.com/politics-po...change-police/

What, exactly, is the proposal?
It would change a longstanding phrase in the city charter, which governs local laws, to give the City Council more statutory authority over Minneapolis police. Right now, Mayor Jacob Frey has direct oversight of the department.

The current statute reads: “The mayor may make all rules and regulations and may promulgate and enforce general and special orders necessary to operating the police department.” The mayor also has the power to appoint, discipline and terminate certain police officers and leaders, though the City Council must give its blessing to the mayor’s nomination for a new police chief.

https://patch.com/minnesota/minneapo...ouncil-members

MINNEAPOLIS, MN — Whether they call it "disbanding" or "dismantling" or "overhaul," multiple members of the Minneapolis City Council are openly discussing making dramatic changes to the city's police department.

"We are going to dismantle the Minneapolis Police Department" Ellison's tweet continued: "And when we're done, we're not simply gonna glue it back together. We are going to dramatically rethink how we approach public safety and emergency response. It's really past due."

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-05-2020 at 07:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 06:57 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,266,672 times
Time for any decent person/family to get the hell out of there!!!

Old 06-05-2020, 06:57 AM

88,804 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What would happen is that the people with money would invest in their pwn police force and the people without money i.e. the inner city blacks, would suffer tremendous crime increases.

Liberals are beyond stupid
100% correct.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:04 AM

36,229 posts, read 30,671,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I'm not advocating this, but to be fair, it sounds like the police would no longer be used for non-potentially violent situations for mental issues or drug dependencies but there would still be armed police of some sort.
The current model is more efficient in that you can call one number, one agency, and they can be the first on any type of scene which is highly unpredictable. The same people that talk people off the ledge are the same people who surround violent criminals, guns drawn.
Not an enviable job.
We live in a ridiculous, extremist society in which we can't seem to separate the two necessary modes used by the same patrol officer.
I want to like the idea on some level, but the randomness of what could happen in any given situation would prove to be too cumbersome to figure who to send out to what kind of call that comes in.
At that point, we might as well be policed by screaming out-of-work baristas holding up signs, which is what feels like is going on now.
I agree. In theory it makes sense. My brother has been an officer for many years now. I have heard many stories of the many calls. I have always said officers need a degree in psychology as well. Most of calls are people with mental/drugs issues and more community service type responsibilities. From someone broke in and stole my underwear, to a goat is on my porch, to working high school sport events to helping tornado victims to drunk driver to domestic disputes to, working accidents and directing traffic to having to bag bodies. That could be because we live in a more rural area though. I think many officers would rather not deal with many of the calls.
But as you said on any particular call you dont know what might happen, someone has a gun, someone gets violent. How are the social workers going to respond when they are spit on, cursed out or attacked or things go sideways? Call the police?

Just what is it they want the polices' duties to be, a military force when the social workers fail.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:06 AM

2,400 posts, read 751,535 times
Can rich people buy up land and build private towns that are fenced off with private security? I see a future in that.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:11 AM

27,045 posts, read 13,303,145 times
Quote:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapol...ice-department

"Social workers or medics could respond to situations once handled by police, she said."

Someone please explain to me how this will work?
In terms of responding to crime, cutting the police is not a good idea and in an emergency you do not want to be met by some community worker.

However improving mental health community teams and community support can have an impact in helping to stop people from oiffending due to mental illness, homelessness, drug and alcohol dependence etc.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:12 AM

88,804 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
Can rich people buy up land and build private towns that are fenced off with private security? I see a future in that.
Yes. Nancy Pelosi and other Dems live in exactly such private, gated enclaves. So do many of the Hollywood celebrities advocating defunding and abolishing police departments. They don't care what happens to the little people who are already victims of disproportionately high crime rates, i.e., Blacks and Hispanics.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:13 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,871,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In terms of responding to crime, cutting the police is not a good idea and in an emergecy you do not want to be met by some community worker.

However improving mental health community teams and community support can have an impact in helping to stop people from oiffending due to mental illness, homelessness, drug and alcohol dependence etc.
Totally, I agree. Maybe I misunderstood what they mean to do? I sure hope so.

Having non-police respond to non-crime calls would free up police to deal with actual criminals.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:15 AM

21,838 posts, read 9,392,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What would happen is that the people with money would invest in their pwn police force and the people without money i.e. the inner city blacks, would suffer tremendous crime increases.

Liberals are beyond stupid.
I am waiting to see if Lori Lightfoot signs on to this nonsense. She can't even control crime on the Chicago south side WITH police.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:16 AM

21,838 posts, read 9,392,417 times
Quote:
Ha! I hadn't thought of this! Doh.

The already crime ridden areas would be even worse off. Wtf. #shootyourselfinfoot

*shuddering* I am starting to fear a civil war like not even joking
Honey, we are IN a civil war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies