Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 06:01 AM

5,175 posts, read 4,947,721 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing political and societal leaders saying that we, the country as a whole, needs to have an uncomfortable conversation about racism. Of course this usually comes about after a black dies while resisting arrest. But I say; Where is the uncomfortable conversation about don't break the law and if you do, don't resist arrest when you get caught?

Nearly every one of the BLM heroes died as a result of them resisting arrest. Had they simply complied with lawful orders from the cops, they would still be around today. Maybe in jail, but they'd still be alive. Their actions directly contributed to their deaths. Even Chris Rock did a funny, albeit very truthful, video on "How not to get your *ss kicked by the police". It should be played as a public service bulletin.

Use the courts to fight; not your body. Cooperate and the situation defuses. Fight and it just escalates. One might have to swallow some pride, but at least you get to go home (or to jail) at the end of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 06:06 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
if you're a cop trying to arrest someone and they begin to fight with you what else would you think other than if they get the upper hand they'll take your gun and kill you with it. Normal people don't struggle with other people that are armed with weapons. Comply and file a complaint, fighting will just get you killed, this isn't rocket science. Color doesn't matter.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:14 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Yes Sir, No Sir, how high should I jump. Its so simple.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:21 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Hell with that "how high do I jump, sir" nonsense.

There were 4 cops there. There were more cops across the street. They already had him in handcuffs. He was already inside the cop car before they chose to pull him out, slam him on the ground, and sit on his neck for 9 minutes.

The cops were inept. That they couldn't get "control" of this handcuffed guy in the back of a police car says more about their failures than Floyd's.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:25 AM

6,995 posts, read 2,709,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I keep hearing political and societal leaders saying that we, the country as a whole, needs to have an uncomfortable conversation about racism. Of course this usually comes about after a black dies while resisting arrest. But I say; Where is the uncomfortable conversation about don't break the law and if you do, don't resist arrest when you get caught?

Nearly every one of the BLM heroes died as a result of them resisting arrest. Had they simply complied with lawful orders from the cops, they would still be around today. Maybe in jail, but they'd still be alive. Their actions directly contributed to their deaths. Even Chris Rock did a funny, albeit very truthful, video on "How not to get your *ss kicked by the police". It should be played as a public service bulletin.

Use the courts to fight; not your body. Cooperate and the situation defuses. Fight and it just escalates. One might have to swallow some pride, but at least you get to go home (or to jail) at the end of the day.
I saw an video where some rioter chick was complaining that it wasn't fair that they get arrested for "fighting back". These idiots believe its a dual between them and the cop.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:25 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

There were 4 cops there. There were more cops across the street. They already had him in handcuffs. He was already inside the cop car before they chose to pull him out, slam him on the ground, and sit on his neck for 9 minutes.

The cops were inept. That they couldn't get "control" of this handcuffed guy in the back of a police car says more about their failures than Floyd's.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that .

But the OP isn't talking about George Floyd specifically..

Old 06-04-2020, 06:27 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
If people want reform I would offer :

No charge of "resisting arrest" is valid without a charge to be arrested for in the first place !!!

If the only charge is resisting arrest the criminal is the arresting officer violating the persons rights !!!

Old 06-04-2020, 06:29 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Word. Not only that. but if he had as many health conditions as they claim contributed to his death, it's unlikely he had the strength to "resist" to any extent anyway. The police can't have both scenarios at the same time. Either he was strong and fighting them or he was sick and died from his bad health - pick one.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Based on what I have seen and read I don't think this can be categorized as a typical case of resisting arrest. He was claiming claustrophobia and if we are to assume that is the truth there isn't a thing in the world those cops are going to do to convince him otherwise. I know someone with severe phobia for snakes, frogs and fish. If they were on the edge of a cliff and a snake was coming towards them they would probably choose to jump. It's completely irrational but that fear tosses rationality out the window. There is that one section of video he appears to be in distress and they walk him over to the building and sit him down, he's being compliant. He's not fighting the cops, he's fighting his fear. That fear may have even contributed to his death.

That said it's very difficult to put the cops in the position of determining this. They are dealing with criminals all the time making things up, some times with the intent to get the officer to let his guard down.

There is no easy answers.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:34 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
If people want reform I would offer :

No charge of "resisting arrest" is valid without a charge to be arrested for in the first place !!!

If the only charge is resisting arrest the criminal is the arresting officer violating the persons rights !!!

The Libertarian in me approves.

But he won't hold his breath waiting for that to happen..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies